Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 chipped the keel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SEAN
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/28/2007 :  21:04:52  Show Profile
I chiped a piece out of the keel last year ,
I can see the metal .

Should I cover that up ?
and with what ?, before I bottom paint

Edited by - on

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2007 :  23:31:59  Show Profile
Yes, cover up with the epoxy barrior base on bare metal after cleaning area with brushing or sand blasting with unit sized for the job. There are small pot units that can do small areas and seal area with the epoxy as soon as dry. There are epoxy putties that can fill in the area so you can reshape the keel. There are also base paints before the bottom paint which will make it adhere better than just going over the putty. And I didn't get how you chipped the keel. I have done this to my keel, the refinish that is and it has held for many years. Check with your local marine store for products they can supply. Yes, I have left paint marks on rocks too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2007 :  07:49:52  Show Profile
I had two maps different brands,When I planned a trip for the next day , The one at home had the detail and the one on the boat dint have a zoomed in shot .

I wound up hitting the wings edge . We were motoring very slow but it was still pretty scary it was our fist love tap .
it was 10' of water boy it came up quick

I used that Marine-tex before it says its good for hulls or z-spare ? for the repair

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2007 :  09:32:24  Show Profile
Hi Sean... This is a good topic for the C-250 forum. I think Jim has an older C-25 with a cast iron keel, so he might not be thinking about an encased lead keel. The C-25 encased lead is even different from that--much more "encasing."

I would think Marine Tex is a good place to start, followed up with some gelcoat patch. But the answer is C-250-WK-specific, and I didn't have one of them.

PS: This is an example of why it's useful to have a "signature" (in your profile) that identifies the model of your boat.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 04/29/2007 09:34:35
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2007 :  17:17:52  Show Profile
thanks dave

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page