Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Nicro Solar Vent Noise
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2010 :  20:10:59  Show Profile
Glen
So long as you have the resistor in line, you won't overwhelm the motor or battery. Never connect a straight 12V lead to the vent. You would get sparks and a lot of smoke.

One thing you might want to check with an ammeter is the current draw from the single, built-in battery.

Here's why: I made an assumption about the fan drawing 100 mA. In fact, it might draw 200, 300 or 500 mA.

If, for example, it drew 500mA, the calculations would be very different.

You'd need a 22 Ohm resistor that dissipates 5W, or you could use five 100 Ohm 1W resistors in parallel.

To accurately do the math, use the measured current draw.

The bottom line: it's possible to supplement the solar charger using the house battery, and the good news is you won't need an A/B switch.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 02/07/2010 :  10:07:33  Show Profile
Check this website for information on repairing your Nicro vent inexpensively.
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/47138-nicro-day-night-2000-solar-vent-repair.html

P.S. from another Sailnet post:
I too am one of many owners of older day/night vents like this and mine went TU about a year ago. Being too frugal to go right out and buy a new one I hesitated. Based on this thread I rebuilt mine too. The only difference is I used a piece of a 1 1/4 inch OD plastic sink drain pipe to fit the new motor. Just cut off a section about 1 1/4 inches long, split it along one side and stretch it to slid over the new motor. It then will slip in perfectly into the hole made where you cut off the old motor!

Edited by - jbkayaker on 02/07/2010 10:17:33
Go to Top of Page

Alan Clark
Captain

Members Avatar

406 Posts

Response Posted - 02/08/2010 :  14:18:59  Show Profile
Glen, Batteries Plus is a store like Radio Shack, I have not tried to find them on the internet and I would give them the information on the battery.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:07:09  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alan Clark</i>
<br />Glen, Batteries Plus is a store like Radio Shack, I have not tried to find them on the internet and I would give them the information on the battery.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Thank you Alan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:09:20  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br />Glen
So long as you have the resistor in line, you won't overwhelm the motor or battery. Never connect a straight 12V lead to the vent. You would get sparks and a lot of smoke.

One thing you might want to check with an ammeter is the current draw from the single, built-in battery.

Here's why: I made an assumption about the fan drawing 100 mA. In fact, it might draw 200, 300 or 500 mA.

If, for example, it drew 500mA, the calculations would be very different.

You'd need a 22 Ohm resistor that dissipates 5W, or you could use five 100 Ohm 1W resistors in parallel.

To accurately do the math, use the measured current draw.

The bottom line: it's possible to supplement the solar charger using the house battery, and the good news is you won't need an A/B switch.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Thank you Bruce

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  22:14:11  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Jim,

Thanks for the info regarding rebuilding the vent. I am not sure I want to tear into the guts of it. After the snows pass in our area and I eventually remove my copver, I will check out the vent again. It was quieter after I put the Sailkote on. I also remembered that when I bought the vent ~ 4 yrs ago, there awas another fan blade in the box - for pulling air in vs out. I amy put on the other fan blade and see if that has any effect as well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jbkayaker
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
299 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2010 :  09:56:53  Show Profile
My Nicro vent is held together by several small Phillips head screws. It was easy to take apart. But be wary of <b>very sharp edges</b> on the steel part.

Edited by - jbkayaker on 02/10/2010 10:17:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page