Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Got my first speeding ticket. In the dink!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/03/2010 :  09:56:52  Show Profile
Yep, just almost on a plane cruising across the ICW - nobody anywhere, but rules are rules. $90.... I think I need a governor on my ourboard.

PoPo was very nice, very courteous and didn't try to see how many oysters or bevs I had just had. Just wrote the ticket - we were happy to get off with that, although a warning would have been nice.

Oh well, live and learn. If Renzo shows up today, drinks are on him - my weekly allotment has been spent...

sten

Edited by - on

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2010 :  10:19:55  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
How do they determine that you're speeding in a dink? Do they have a waterproof radar gun? I'm not sure I could get mine up over about 5-7 kts with my outboard (and umm...ballast).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2010 :  10:44:44  Show Profile
This raises lots of questions for boaters.

What is the speed limit on the ICW, and is it a new law, Sten? I've seen big motor yachts on the ICW leaving huge wakes and making perhaps 12-15 kts, and I've seen 15-20' runabouts doing speeds in the 20 kt. range. I know they don't like boats leaving big wakes that can erode shorelines, but wouldn't think that would be a concern with most dinks.

Did they charge you with a specific rate of speed, and, if so, how did they measure your speed? Are they using radar, or some other measuring device? Is there one speed limit for the entire ICW, or is it only in effect where the channel is narrow? Are speed limit signe posted, or marked on charts? How are boaters expected to know what the speed limit is in any given location? Being a former prosecuting attorney, I'm curious how they can prove that you were speeding.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2010 :  11:44:56  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Down here on the ICW, most of the time you would be in a no wake zone.

But then you really don't see many dinks buzzing around.

Now ciggarette boats are another thing!

Where on the ICW Sten?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:46:54  Show Profile
"If Renzo shows up today, drinks are on him"
Sten if Renzo shows up give him the oars to the dink, and let him row you around. He’s into that kink of thing

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

KD4AO
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
202 Posts

Response Posted - 02/03/2010 :  12:56:21  Show Profile
In this part of Florida, if the Bow comes down when you slow down, you were speeding. Applies to any size or type of boat. Therefore the longer hull wins.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  11:04:37  Show Profile
Violation of Idle Speed Zone in the area of 15th Street Canal.
No radar - just a visual.

There is a sign, and I will look at it more closely today, but the sign is on the side where we are anchored. No sign where i got busted. I'm sure I could fight it, but why? Realistically, PoPo is trying to generate revenue and they are pissed that the 24 hour anchoring law was repealed, so they gotta do something to justify their jobs.

Just doing my part to support the local ahem, economy...

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  11:07:47  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by glen</i>
<br />"If Renzo shows up today, drinks are on him"
Sten if Renzo shows up give him the oars to the dink, and let him row you around. He’s into that <b>kink </b> of thing

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

OH I know! But we had a good time cruising for cougars and GMILF's at idle speed anyway.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  12:01:48  Show Profile
I love it!! Sten stinkpotting around, drawing too much wake ("<i>almost</i> on plane" means exactly that), getting hauled down by the long arm of the law...

You've got <i>nothing</i> to say about <i>me</i> now!!

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 02/04/2010 12:03:54
Go to Top of Page

Renzo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
621 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  13:35:39  Show Profile
Even though the <b>kink</b> remark was Glen's freudian slip and not mine, I have to agree that it's better to dink around in Florida at ogle speed. Especially when the beer goggles slow your eyes down.
I hope that the stinkpotters who were trying to anchor close by your port and starboard with out regard for the difference of swing between keel and non-keel boats (especially the power-catameran) will not be a problem if the wind pipes up and shifts. If something does occur and you post it here, I'll be your witness this time so that there won't be too much Monday Morning Quarterbacking.
It was great meeting you and Steph face to face and Lysistrata is a beauty. I hope the drinks took some of the sting out of the speeding ticket. I mean, what the hell, the only sailors who don't get splashed once in awhile are the ones who stay at the dock.
Hope we can do it again sometime.

Edited by - Renzo on 02/04/2010 13:37:48
Go to Top of Page

glen
Captain

Members Avatar

359 Posts

Response Posted - 02/04/2010 :  13:45:12  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br />[quote]<i>Originally posted by glen</i>
Sten if Renzo shows up give him the oars to the dink, and let him row you around. He’s into that <b>kink </b> of thing

OH I know! But we had a good time cruising for cougars and GMILF's at idle speed anyway.

sten
[/Good talking to you Sten. Looking forward to talking some time when I’m not in rush hour traffic. We will be in Marathon around Feb. 20th, hope to see you then. For now stay safe and live the life --- Glen ps I’m trying to figure out if it was a typo, when I used the word “KINK”. quote]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2010 :  14:35:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bristle</i>
<br />I love it!! Sten stinkpotting around, drawing too much wake ("<i>almost</i> on plane" means exactly that), getting hauled down by the long arm of the law...

You've got <i>nothing</i> to say about <i>me</i> now!!

Oh I do, just refraining as this is a family site!

Just for the record, the sign excludes vessels under 20 feet - so I guess I COULD fight the ticket if I had the time. And as Renzo will attest, the anchorage is on the other side of several low bridges which are not passable at high tide which means a 15 mile round trip at least. Not a rowable distance, so the 6 horse on the Zodiac is essential to us cruising folks who anchor out and are not tied to a dock.

sten

Edited by - redviking on 02/05/2010 14:44:05
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2010 :  14:40:30  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Renzo</i>
<br /> I'll be your witness this time so that there won't be too much Monday Morning Quarterbacking.
It was great meeting you and Steph face to face and Lysistrata is a beauty. I hope the drinks took some of the sting out of the speeding ticket. I mean, what the hell, the only sailors who don't get splashed once in awhile are the ones who stay at the dock.
Hope we can do it again sometime.

Absolutely. We both had a great time having you aboard. And uh, there is always a Monday Morning Quarterback around here - that's OK, I'm still floating with moe sea miles than most - except maybe Jim B.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/05/2010 :  14:46:43  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by glen</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br />[quote]<i>Originally posted by glen</i>

sten
[/Good talking to you Sten. Looking forward to talking some time when I’m not in rush hour traffic. We will be in Marathon around Feb. 20th, hope to see you then. For now stay safe and live the life --- Glen ps I’m trying to figure out if it was a typo, when I used the word “KINK”. quote]

Hope to see you in Marathon. Just try not to drink the Koolaid, 'cuz then you'll wind up selling all of your stuff and floating about out here while fending off all of the 3 story stinkpotters who anchor with 10 feet of chain.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  06:15:44  Show Profile
OK, now I'm confused. Just as we were leaving Ft. Laud for Miami I saw another sign. No Wake Zone. Vessels under 20 feet engaged in waterskiing exempt. Max speed 35 mph.

SO, If I had been towing an inner tube or something I would have been exempt from the ticket? Good golly, I need a scorecard to keep track of this stuff.

When we pulled into Miami we were not allowed to use Government cut. Why? There were more than 2 cruise ships docked. SO, Homeland Security considers 3 cruise ships a target, but two is OK? Why would the bad guys even care how many there were? GBA - Gawd Bless Amerika! Home of the not so free!

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  07:57:21  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> No Wake Zone. Vessels under 20 feet engaged in waterskiing exempt. Max speed 35 mph. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's one I've never heard before .................

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  16:38:34  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DaveR</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> No Wake Zone. Vessels under 20 feet engaged in waterskiing exempt. Max speed 35 mph. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's one I've never heard before .................

At least we can anchor without the 24 hour time limit of a year ago. I'll try to post the pic of the 150' motor yacht riding shotgun behind us on a narrow channel trying to anchor to avoid the $5.00 a foot plus dockage fee. A guy on shore asked me whether I was worried about him being on my stern and I replied, " That's my dinghy - What? Do you really expect me to sleep on this thing?"

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2010 :  17:02:13  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br />OK, now I'm confused. Just as we were leaving Ft. Laud for Miami I saw another sign. No Wake Zone. Vessels under 20 feet engaged in waterskiing exempt. Max speed 35 mph...
Does that mean that as soon as the skier drops or falls, the tow boat is in violation? lol

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page