Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Heaving to & lifelines
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

watercayman
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Cayman Islands
49 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/09/2010 :  18:32:18  Show Profile
Hi Folks,

I took the day off from work and went out all day for a nearly perfect day. Before heading out though, I did a little research here on the forum about heaving to -- I've never done it before, and it seems like something very worthwhile to know how to do.

I got everything in position and prepared to head into the wind when I noticed the load-bearing jib sheet was going to put all its load across the lifeline once hoven to. The sheets go under the lifelines, so once the jib backwinds and comes across the deck (I was using about 95% today as winds were a bit strong) the sheet is coming from the car outside the lifeline, over it, and to the jib.

I decided not to try the heave to today, and check with you all. I'm sure this is either a simple thing or I'm doing something wrong, but I didn't want to put that kind of stress on the lifeline without asking for some help first.

Any problems with crossing the lifeline? Or am I just missing something in my setup?

Many thanks!

Mike

Mike Barrowman

Beneteau 311
P/O 1999 Catalina 250WK - #414
Cayman Islands

Edited by - on

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2010 :  21:29:30  Show Profile
Under the lifelines? If I get the picture, I think you're rigged wrong. The sheet should be over (outside of) the lifelines to the jib car block on the track, and <i>then</i> led under the lifeline back to the winch. The C-25 is not designed for sheeting inside the lifelines, even though that means the jib/genoa will lie over the forward end of the lifeline. That's just how it is.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 04/09/2010 21:34:26
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2010 :  05:08:09  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Mike, Dave has it correct... the sheet should not be going under the life line. If done that way, the working sheet might seem less fouled but the lazy sheet will foul big time and cause problems tacking the jib and as you had foreseen, fouled when trying to heave to.

Edited by - Arlyn Stewart on 04/10/2010 05:17:34
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2010 :  08:06:59  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Arlyn Stewart</i>
<br />Mike, Dave has it correct... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...or partly right--I just realized I had the wrong boat. Sorry.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

watercayman
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Cayman Islands
49 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2010 :  09:19:19  Show Profile
Wow! This makes sense and I hadn't even thought about it from the perspective of the normal rigging. I just spent an hour looking at photos of other 250s to try and discern how they'd rigged them, and sure enough many were rigged without going under the lifelines. Makes a lot of sense for the heave to, but is taking my brain a bit to understand from a normal beam/broad reach jib position... however, Arlyn's point about the lazy sheet pretty much hammers it home.

Shoot - all this time I was sorta wondering why the lazy sheet always took a bit of a shake during a normal tack. Shoulda thought of this earlier!

Now I'm excited to go re-rig and sail foul-free! Thank you both - and Dave - no worries on the boat - 100% understood what you were saying in either case.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page