Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Home Ports-Map Your Boat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/08/2010 :  19:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
I know we had one of these going a couple years back, but I can't seem to find it now.

In any case, I have opened up a "ZeeMap" for folks to enter their locations in. Something like the "Port Captains" idea, this will allow you to see whose baot is nearby when you are on business in Tonawanda and need to get away for a beer or whatever.

http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=198193&x=-97&y=39&z=13&add=1

"Iris"
1984 FK/SR #4040
http://frosthaus.blogspot.com/

Take a minute to register your boat with the association!!
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/owner_questionnaire.htm

Edited by - piseas on 12/20/2010 21:09:00

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2010 :  20:16:28  Show Profile
Great idea but I wasn't smart enough.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2010 :  20:27:24  Show Profile
I submitted my coordinates, and tried to submit a marker for Passage, but for one reason or another, the marker did not appear. It seemed like it was way to "submit" my info for some kind of approval, but who knows?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2010 :  20:41:45  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Well, that sucks.

Try hitting the unlock key in the upper right corner and using "Iris" as the password. That may do the trick. i know there was a simpler version of this out there. Time to go hunting maybe.

Edited by - piseas on 03/09/2011 15:28:39
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  08:54:11  Show Profile
Wow, took me a minute, and now I wish I'd included my email address. The password "Iris" is case sensitive. Stephanos has been added.

Ok it didn't add.

Ok hit submit and I'm on there now.

I added simple marker, clicked the map, added a photo, used my info here and added email. You have to hit submit.

Edited by - PCP777 on 12/09/2010 09:00:35
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  09:02:57  Show Profile
Ha I was even able to add a video! Pretty cool.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  09:30:07  Show Profile
Using Iris to unlock the map works. I was able to add a marker for our marina, Hamilton Creek Marina.
Just enter the marina name in the search box, zoom in a little bit and switch to the satellite view. I'm on the 3rd pier, 13th slip on the left side.
Added a marker for our boat, enter Recess on the search line.

Edited by - dmpilc on 12/09/2010 09:56:00
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  10:28:42  Show Profile
<s>Ah, I must refine my marker.</s>

Wow, while zoomed out I got the marker right in the fairway of my dock about two boats down. The image is out of date, showing Stephanos at the old slip. It's fine where it is.

Edited by - PCP777 on 12/09/2010 10:32:41
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  12:26:50  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
Added PiSeasII. But marker is not where she is docked. How can I move it to my slip?
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  12:44:42  Show Profile
As an alumnus, now with a $+!nkp*+, I made my marker a contrasting color. (Maybe green isn't quite right...) On the pre-2007 sat photo, the marker is on my slip, with my earlier runabout in it.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/09/2010 12:50:48
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  13:17:57  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />Using Iris to unlock the map works. I was able to add a marker for our marina, Hamilton Creek Marina.
Just enter the marina name in the search box, zoom in a little bit and switch to the satellite view. I'm on the 3rd pier, 13th slip on the left side.
Added a marker for our boat, enter Recess on the search line.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

When you hover over the map it gives the name of your marina, not your boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  14:50:15  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piseas</i>
<br />Added PiSeasII. But marker is not where she is docked. How can I move it to my slip?
Steve A

You should be able to select your marker and edit it if you are signed in. I have almighty powers on teh map though, so maybe if you want to send me your coordinates I can try and move it. I purposely put my marker dead center in my lake - personally I don;t want to risk posting here about my brand new GPS only to find the companionway smashed the next day. Food for thought.

Disclaimer: I know as much about the map site as youguys do, but I have set up KML files for work before - just not sure how they are used on this website.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  16:56:12  Show Profile
The metadata editor was a little squirrelly, but I was able to put my GPS coords in decimal form into the editor.

I forgot to put the "-" minus sign before the 073 longitude, so I originally wound up in a small pond on the Steppes of Central Asia (reminds me of a tune...)

Converting minutes & seconds to decimal took me a few rounds on my pocket calculator! My final Lat-Lon put me in the marina, but several docks and slips away from my 'desired' spot for next year.

But who knows!?, I might get reassigned to this new spot by May 1, 2011.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  17:46:02  Show Profile
If we decide we don't want a marker we have entered, how can it be removed?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  17:51:19  Show Profile
PCP777, the map shows only the park, and only part of it at that. It actually covers the whole area there. Apparently, it is not as current as the satellite photos. The marina doesn't show up on the map either.
I see what you mean.
Interesting thing just happened. If I type in Recess on the search line, a green marker for Recess pops up. If I type in Hamilton Creek Marina on the search line, my red marker for the marina pops up. In each case, the other marker does not show up at all. I guess that keeps the clutter down.

You'll notice a lot of "green" shoreline, except for a few marinas and a YMCA camp, there is no private development on the lake. most of it is park land or designated wildlife preserve. There's a 300 ft. setback around the lake.

Edited by - dmpilc on 12/09/2010 18:08:06
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  18:17:51  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Coupla things on the map site. To delete a marker, if you open the balloon there is a red X in the lower right corner of teh identifier balloon. Click the X adn you delete the marker. if that doesn't work for you, let m eknow and I can delet for you (this may be a moderator function)

DavidP - you do have 2 markers in your marina - one for the boat and one for the marina. You have to zoom way in to see both.

Edited by - Prospector on 12/09/2010 18:23:47
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  18:42:13  Show Profile
Done, great idea, thanks.
tc

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  19:08:24  Show Profile
I zoomed in on Google Earth, put the cursor in my slip, and read the lat-lon at the bottom of the page. I changed the format option to decimal minutes to conform to ZeeMap's requirements. The pointer ended up in the middle of my slip.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2010 :  21:21:06  Show Profile
Prospector, the map software is telling me that it is a moderator function to delete a marker. I think that for safety reasons I would like for you to delete the green marker identifying our boat. Leave the one for the marina, please.
Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  06:40:35  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmpilc</i>
<br />Prospector, the map software is telling me that it is a moderator function to delete a marker. I think that for safety reasons I would like for you to delete the green marker identifying our boat. Leave the one for the marina, please.
Thanks.

Your wish is my command. Another idea - I can also delete the marina marker, and you can replace it with one for your boat in the vicinity of your sailing area. I cannot edit without buying a subscription, but you can add markers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  06:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
If you need your marker deleted, feel free to let me know. An email sent to cpotvin73 at gmail dot com will be better than posting here. Also don't forget to edit your posts here if they point to the location you asked me to delete elsewhere.

My thoughts on the map are that you want to be within a half hour's drive of your marina with the placement of your marker, that way the next time I am in the area I can determine whether it might be worthwhile to suggest a visit.

Edited by - Prospector on 12/11/2010 07:54:52
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  07:21:09  Show Profile
And the next time I'm up at Venn Lake I'll give you a hollar..

Yepper.. Venn lake is the close up when I log in.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  07:32:57  Show Profile
Try [url="http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=198193&x=-97&y=39&z=13&add=1"]this URL[/url]. You can make up your own. (Hint: x=lon, y=lat, z=zoom.)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/10/2010 07:36:56
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  08:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Ahhh- Mucho Bueno.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  09:43:46  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />Try [url="http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=198193&x=-97&y=39&z=13&add=1"]this URL[/url]. You can make up your own. (Hint: x=lon, y=lat, z=zoom.)

Perfect, I like to see the entire country with all those C-25's (And one Sarge)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  12:09:55  Show Profile
I just clicked the button that says "or "Click on Map'". I have both of Pearl's seasonal locations, but the winter one varies from year to year.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page