Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Home Ports-Map Your Boat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  15:33:27  Show Profile
I edited my marker, changed the marina name to the boat name and referenced the marina in the description.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  15:54:05  Show Profile
Don't we have a famous member in Djibouti somewhere?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  16:12:06  Show Profile
OK, I am officially mapped!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skybird
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2010 :  21:27:05  Show Profile  Visit skybird's Homepage
Iris (password)is the trick. It worked great when i registered and used that. If possible my marker needs to move north a few hundred yards and west a hair. On satellite view it's obvious where the clubhouse and boat storage area is. Picture was made sometime before our boat was here. Great idea, THANKS!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  07:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
skybird - I gotcha covered. Just check that I picked the right spot. (North of th estorage field??)

Why do you winter store that far south!?! They must drain your reservooir or something.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  07:53:08  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piseas</i>
<br />Added PiSeasII. But marker is not where she is docked. How can I move it to my slip?
Steve A
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Steve I missed this earlier. Is it still an issue?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  12:23:16  Show Profile

Added: "Someday Lady & Someday Baby"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  15:26:26  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Got Bamboo up with a pic, a video and a song!
Come visit Bamboo for a "Cool Change!"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  16:33:00  Show Profile
Captiva Wind is on the map. I was doing ok with sailing withdrawal, but thinking about the marina is getting me stirred up again!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

piseas
Former Treasurer

Members Avatar

USA
2017 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  18:09:50  Show Profile  Visit piseas's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Prospector</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by piseas</i>
<br />Added PiSeasII. But marker is not where she is docked. How can I move it to my slip?
Steve A

Steve I missed this earlier. Is it still an issue?
Chris, yes but after I read the post re concerns of security, I decided it best not to move marker. Thanks for checking.
Steve A

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

skybird
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
135 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  19:09:22  Show Profile  Visit skybird's Homepage
Chris, everything is drysailed due to variable lake levels, but we can leave everything rigged and just use the ramp. When the first docks were built about 30 yrs ago they planned slips, but there is very little protection from the north and even the docks got torn up, so i guess everyone gave up on keeping boats in the water. I just recently got Skybird52 and right now is at the house having all kinds of little projects done. Home is about 2 miles west of that marker on the other side of the lake--about a 15 min drive plus whatever time it takes me to launch. I plan to move to the lake in the next couple of weeks and get a sailing fix! Rarely ever a shortage of wind here.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  21:31:11  Show Profile
Suggestion: Use the colors to distinguish models: For example, red = C-25, blue = C-250, yellow = CP-25, and green = other stuff (the Admiralty). As the map fills up, it could be interesting.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2010 :  21:49:15  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
Sure Dave, I am kinda letting this thing evolve on its own though. If folks want to follow your suggestion they are welcome to edit their markers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2010 :  07:57:46  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Good idea DaveB.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2010 :  17:19:02  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />Suggestion: Use the colors to distinguish models: For example, red = C-25, blue = C-250, yellow = CP-25, and green = other stuff (the Admiralty). As the map fills up, it could be interesting.

Agreed.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2010 :  18:50:19  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
I updated a bunch of the markers to teh new "Colour Scheme" I'll try to add a legend.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2010 :  07:35:01  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Milby</i>
<br />Captiva Wind is on the map...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Steve, your marker is right square on a big stinkpot... I'm guessing that's because the sat-photo is too old (like mine).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2010 :  09:21:39  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Milby</i>
<br />Captiva Wind is on the map...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Steve, your marker is right square on a big stinkpot... I'm guessing that's because the sat-photo is too old (like mine).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Last year was my first season in that slip. A sportfisherman was in it previously. I moved from a 35' slip, which really wasn't big enough for my 35' boat (the pulpit and anchor stuck out into the fairway), to that slip, which is a 40' slip.

The sat-photo was definitely taken during the off-season, while many of the boats were on the hard. I suspect it was taken several years ago, perhaps just before I bought my boat. I think I see my boat, with it's winter cover, in the place where it was located when I first looked at it, when it was listed for sale. If so, that would mean the photo was probably taken sometime around 2004.

Thanks for changing my marker, Chris.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 12/13/2010 09:27:34
Go to Top of Page

ed_spengeman
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
98 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2010 :  16:54:39  Show Profile
Iris:

Great idea. It was my idea to set up Port Captains and the Association acted on it.

I was thinking what a great idea it would be to map them so it would be more useful. I was all set to start a thread and was trying to figure out my password. I went to the site and lo and behold. Like minds....

I met Dan Happ thru the concept with the original thread. Hopefully, others will take advantage of it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2010 :  19:05:07  Show Profile
Perhaps this can be made a <b>Sticky</b> posting?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/15/2010 :  06:57:48  Show Profile
Interesting comments about the <s>photos</s> images. I think the one of our marina is less than 2 years old.
Edit: Changed term to images. The image I see of our marina and my home are definitely less than 2 years old, based on the development in our neighborhood.

Edited by - dmpilc on 12/16/2010 15:11:47
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2010 :  05:23:56  Show Profile
As many on this forum are attentive to terminology, I just want to point out that no satellite "photos" have been acquired over the past 30 years or so, as in photos on film. Digital technology was adopted long ago for acquiring and transmitting satellite "images", starting with mechanical scanners (early 80's) and later so-called push-broom scanners(late 80's). However, there is some amazing historic footage (film) of efforts in the 70's to capture film pods ejected from satellites in mid-air...just imagine catching something not much larger than a basketball in mid-air while flying at several thousand feet somewhere over the Pacific AND without GPS....Those guys were good!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2010 :  17:18:29  Show Profile
Hint to our international participants: The map reaches to Europe (Czech Republic), the Cayman Islands, Chile, Australia, etc... It'd be great to see you!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Prospector
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
3159 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2010 :  20:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Prospector's Homepage
yeah Gerry, but Orthophoto takes so long to type...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

PCP777
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1225 Posts

Response Posted - 12/17/2010 :  14:43:22  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ed_spengeman</i>
<br />Iris:

Great idea. It was my idea to set up Port Captains and the Association acted on it.

I was thinking what a great idea it would be to map them so it would be more useful. I was all set to start a thread and was trying to figure out my password. I went to the site and lo and behold. Like minds....

I met Dan Happ thru the concept with the original thread. Hopefully, others will take advantage of it.

I'm not sure how one becomes an official Port captain but I've already sailed with JohnP and as I've mentioned in other threads I'm flanked on both sides by forum members. If anyone ever makes it to the DFW area my contact info is on my map entry and we're always sailing, year round. (Even though it is chilly this time of year for sure.)

OJ, I agree, this should be a sticky.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page