Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Racing Magazine
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Member Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/09/2011 :  06:45:56  Show Profile
Yesterday I received the first issue of a gift subscription to "Sailing World" magazine, and, if you're interested in racing, it's outstanding! The first 3 articles I skimmed were about the Leebow tactic (pg.60), five important hails (pg. 66), and a pre-start procedure. Both articles explained things in a way I have never heard before, and that made the tactics and the applicable rules much more clear.

In the middle column on pg. 67, the author addressed the same situation I encountered last season, when another boat barged between us and the committee boat at the start of a race. It's one thing to know the rule, but it's quite another to know how to handle the situation when the other boat is refusing to yield.

I've never read Sailing World before, but my first issue looks like it's one of the best racing mags I've seen.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - on

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2011 :  07:39:31  Show Profile
It's a good magazine. Almost every issue has an article on tactics and/or rules. Right now, I'm lucky, my wife's organization receives a copy and she brings it home to me. When that stops, I guess I'll have to get my own subscription.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2011 :  08:21:11  Show Profile
The are owned by the same company that publishes Cruising World (and Practical Sailor)-- and offer(ed) both publications at a bundled big discount. I get both and enjoy them far more than Sailing, which seems to be at least improving maybe from the competition. I think I paid @$30/year

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/09/2011 :  21:17:31  Show Profile
I used to subscribe to Practical Sailor and loved the articles and advice. My only problem was that they used a "negative option" for renewals -- that is if you DON'T cancel, they bill your credit card for the amount.

My first year's subscription was at a low, introductory rate. Afterward, they planned to bill me the standard yearly price. I looked for several discounts but was unable to find any.

Anybody have advice on getting a better deal somehow?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  07:59:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br />I used to subscribe to Practical Sailor and loved the articles and advice. My only problem was that they used a "negative option" for renewals -- that is if you DON'T cancel, they bill your credit card for the amount...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I took an "introductory offer" of a "free issue"... then they kept sending me issues... and threatening letters from a supposed law office. I tried to cancel several times, and the threats kept getting nastier. So I sent a package to the CT Attorney General and the US Postmaster, and copied my cover letter to the publisher. P/S begged me for mercy and said they were firing their subscription service (some firm on Long Island). And there it ended.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  09:04:48  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br />I used to subscribe to Practical Sailor and loved the articles and advice. My only problem was that they used a "negative option" for renewals -- that is if you DON'T cancel, they bill your credit card for the amount.

My first year's subscription was at a low, introductory rate. Afterward, they planned to bill me the standard yearly price. I looked for several discounts but was unable to find any.

Anybody have advice on getting a <b>better deal somehow</b>?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Save your money and hang around with some cruisers or serious racers a few times. You'll get better data from folks who actually leave the dock than from cubicle keyboard jockeys.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  09:25:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br />I used to subscribe to Practical Sailor and loved the articles and advice. My only problem was that they used a "negative option" for renewals -- that is if you DON'T cancel, they bill your credit card for the amount.

Anybody have advice on getting a <b>better deal somehow</b>?

Save your money and hang around with some cruisers or serious racers a few times. You'll get better data from folks who actually leave the dock than from cubicle keyboard jockeys.

sten
Ordinarily, I'd agree Sten, but I've been racing and studying racing rules and tactics for over 30 years, reading the North U materials and taking their courses, and studying many books written by the top racers, and am amazed at how much I learned and understood in one issue of the magazine. The articles switched on a number of lights, and that kind of knowledge is hard to come by. I don't know if every issue will be this good, but the first issue was outstanding.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  16:33:15  Show Profile
I just got an introductory offer in the mail for $30 for 3 years. I'll wait until after the boat show next week to order if I can't get it for free with the cost of admission to the boat show. Last year I got <i>Cruising World, Sail, Better Homes and Gardens</i> and <i>Yachting</i> each for a year with one ticket. Makes for great winter reading.

I'm not a racer but, Steve's recommendation is such that I think I might gain something from learning about some of these tactics and tricks. Plus, I get a free gear bag! (If I order directly)

It's a good thing that magazines don't make their money from the subscribers, they make it by telling advertisers that they HAVE subscribers and LOTS of them.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jack Schafer
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
112 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  19:09:11  Show Profile
buy a ticket to "Strictly Sail" on line and you get a years subscription free to "Sailing World".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  20:49:36  Show Profile
The magazine is excellent, but their billing tactics are objectionable.
The 'keyboard jockeys' do the systematic work to compare finishes, equipment, electronics, lines and materials.

I got three years of <i>Trailer Boats</i> when I bought a ticket to the Norwalk boat show. Too bad I don't have a parakeet!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page