Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 forward Hatch size for screen
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alan Clark
Captain

Member Avatar

406 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/11/2011 :  07:52:20  Show Profile
Anyone know of the forward Hatch size of the late 80's 25, I want to buy a bug screen for the boat but need the size..Is it Standard around the base? Thanks again

Alan & Eileen
2001 Catalina 310 Hull #155
"Anam Cara"
ex-1987 C25 TR/SK #5612
"LEPRECHAUN"
Troy Ohio USA / Lake Erie-Catawba Island
ASA 101 103 104

"The clink of an anchor - chain, the 'Yo-Ho!' of a well time crew, the flapping of huge sails - I love all these sounds."

John 'Rob Roy' MacGregor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by - on

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  11:41:20  Show Profile
It's hard to give precise measurements because of the large corner radius. But the hatch on my C25 is 25.25" wide at the aft end (just before the radius), 20.25" at the forward end (just before the radius) and 19.25" front to back. My wife made a very functional bug screen that attaches inside to hook-and-loop fasteners. It overlaps the hatch on all sides. The screen dimensions are 27" wide aft, 21" wide forward and 21.5" long at each corner. Hope this helps. FYI, I used to live in Dayton. Cheers. Sol

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Alan Clark
Captain

Members Avatar

406 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  12:08:25  Show Profile
Thanks for getting back with me, I tried to order a forward Hatch cover from sailboatowners but needed a better dimension.
We are going back to the boat tomorrow and will just measure to be sure of an exact size as there are NO returns and when I asked if they knew what the "Standard" size was they did not. SO... off to the boat! .. Not a bad thing.. Here is a link of us sailing this past weekend..taken by Jeff aboard 65 Roses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFVPlxPw5k
Lots of Fun

Sol, Do you sail on Burt Lake?

Edited by - Alan Clark on 07/11/2011 12:11:31
Go to Top of Page

tbosch
Navigator

Members Avatar

163 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  13:19:10  Show Profile
We bought one of the Bugbuster screens and are very happy with it. We had to go with the 36x36 size because the 30x30 seemed to be cutting it too close. It is pretty big and I thought maybe too big but with the hatch being in a sloped area the extra size works really well. I think we got the right one. Others carry it but I bout it from here:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/bugbuster-hatch-insect-screen-36-x-36-w-case-738642-/4,44627.html

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  13:42:29  Show Profile
Alan, we do sail on Burt Lake. Our boat is less than half a mile from home, at Burt Lake Marina. It's a nice lake for sailing, and we're members of the Burt Lake Yacht Club, with races every couple of weeks in the summer. Have you been up here? Sol

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JAB
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
38 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2011 :  21:11:34  Show Profile
We use a net with elastic-cord circumference that's made to fit a baby carriage. I think it was under $7 at Babies R Us or some such. Yes, it has to be taped or weighted down in some spots, but it works well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Alan Clark
Captain

Members Avatar

406 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2011 :  05:45:29  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions, am going to the boat today and measure, sail for the next few days.
Have not been on Burt Lake though our daughter and son in law live in Fowlerville

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2011 :  19:15:27  Show Profile
We split (cut) 1" velcro into 1/2" wide strips and then used 3M 4200 to adhere the 'hook' portion of velcro around the inside of the hatch opening (it's about 1" larger all around), and then sewed the 'loop' portion to the perimeter of cloth bug screening which we cut to size to match the adhered hook portion...we simple put the screen in place when staying aboard overnight - works great!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NCBrew
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Response Posted - 07/13/2011 :  00:29:24  Show Profile
I saw a video of 65 roses sailing and the foot of the mainsail is not in a track in the boom. Do I have to have mine in the slot on the boom?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page