Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Windows leak to where?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rrick
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/02/2011 :  01:34:47  Show Profile
I've done enough this season, so the windows will wait. So where is the water going to collect? I've been designating the under-seat areas as relatively dry areas, so I'd like to know if that will be wet when it rains. Will some sort of tape over the aluminum cover me until I get my fill of sailing this boat?

Molly Brown: 1967 Grand Banks 32-#34. Bronze, mahogany, teak, oak, with 120hp diesel to push all 10 tons. Currently an abuser of the bilge pump. Also... The Tall Rig Spirit: 1978, #973, Cast Fe Fin Keel on a Trailer

Edited by - on

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  03:58:53  Show Profile
All roads lead to the bilge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

BernieM
1st Mate

Members Avatar

29 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  05:57:27  Show Profile
I have leaky windows that I will hopefully have the chance to fix this weekend. I've had the CD repair kit sitting around for a few months now, so I suppose I should get to work. I've experienced some of the rain water draining into the battery compartment under the starboard settee. I pull the cushions and store them in the aft berth and leave the hinged seat open.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  06:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Leave it disassembled for a few days to let the core plywood dry.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  07:42:40  Show Profile
On our 1981 model we used to have water collect under the port settees.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  08:49:27  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rrick</i>
<br />I've done enough this season, so the windows will wait. So where is the water going to collect? I've been designating the under-seat areas as relatively dry areas, so I'd like to know if that will be wet when it rains.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Some day after sailing, hit her with a hose and see what happens. Maybe she ain't broke and don't need fixin'.<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Will some sort of tape over the aluminum cover me until I get my fill of sailing this boat?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">A tarp over the cabin might be simpler and more effective... A number of people here do it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  12:46:16  Show Profile
Tarp, good! I'll spend 10 minutes to install an drip shield in those settee compartments. Except for the forward starboard settee that looks like a livewell (?). I wish I can agree with you John, but until I drilled a 1/4 weep hole, the aft bilge contained standing water from another leak (a heeling spill). I'll have to water Her to discover more. I'm only guessing they leak from the age of the vessel and delamination around the windows.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  13:50:34  Show Profile
The good news is that it isn't usually delamination. The windows leak because the gasket shrinks and hardens and the sealant does the same. The frame to cabin joint leaks because the original bedding is an extremely viscous, adhesive fluid rather than a pliant solid and squeezes out over the years.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2011 :  15:41:39  Show Profile
I use a modified powerboat cover that covers the windows completely as well as the cabin top, half of the deck and half of the cockpit. Works great, and keeps the boat cleaner, too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2011 :  23:00:03  Show Profile
They leak right onto the seats. Been raining this last week.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2011 :  09:57:04  Show Profile
That is usually through bolts at the hand rails.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page