Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 next boat
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Merrick
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
192 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/10/2011 :  18:12:47  Show Profile
As a Cat25 swing keel owner, I've been thinking about my next "perfect" boat. We are so far 100% daysailors so I'm not concerned with overnight accommodations. Also means we don't need to get much larger. I would like to have a roomier cockpit and wheel steering. I don't mind steering a tiller but people have to shift around too much to get out of the way when tacking. I'm getting tired of cranking the keel up and down so would like a wing or shoal draft.
Also a small diesel inboard sounds good so wouldn't have to wrestle that outboard up and down every time. Might be getting old or lazy, possibly both.
So it seems like the Catalina 270 would fit the bill. Only problem is it's new enough to be a little pricier than I want to go. Any suggestions?

1981 #2555 "Aero"
sk/sr
Coosaw Island, SC

Edited by - on

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2011 :  18:31:52  Show Profile
Cat 27 then?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2011 :  20:28:52  Show Profile
Everyone has a different way to define "dream" but some boats that have been mentioned here when discussing moving up include the O'Day 272, later model Catalina 27 with wing-keel and the Catalina/Capri 26. If a traditional fin keel is an option their are also Catalina 30's available without breaking the budget.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2011 :  20:31:51  Show Profile
Whatever you get, you should name it "the Caine"

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  06:53:33  Show Profile
You should be looking at daysailers, rather than cruising boats. Daysailers are distinguished from cruisers in having huge open cockpits with little or no overnight accommodations, providing ample accomodations for passengers. Tim Lackey (Lackey Sailing, LLC) rebuilt an old Pearson Triton, turning it into a 28' daysailer.

You might also look at some classic racing boats, because they often have big open cockpits, some have retractable boards, and they sail very nicely.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 12/11/2011 06:56:38
Go to Top of Page

Merrick
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
192 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  08:02:11  Show Profile
I forgot about the Capri 26 which is very similar the the Cat 270. Good suggestion, (also the 272)they seem to be less money.
I don't find many daysailer style boats out there... more cockpit, less cabin. Seems like there would be a market in the under 30' size.

"the Caine"??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  08:11:54  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Merrick</i>
<br />
"the Caine"??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I had just finished watching the classic Humphrey Bogart film <i>The Caine Mutiny</i> when I read your post last night. The Executive Officer that relieved the over-stressed Captain(Bogart) and was charged with the mutiny was <i>Lt. Merrick</i>. BTW, he was acquitted at the court martial.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  08:50:37  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
That's a pretty boat Steve! I'll bet she glides through the water very nicely too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  09:11:17  Show Profile
The Raven class boat is another excellent open cockpit daysailer/racer. I crewed for an old friend many times on his Raven, and it can be raced very aggressively with or without spinnaker, or it can be daysailed casually and without being athletic. In fact, my friend raced his regularly, and he was barely ambulatory.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  09:17:05  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DaveR</i>
<br />That's a pretty boat Steve! I'll bet she glides through the water very nicely too.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">It's a great old Alberg design, with a fractional rig and huge sail area. Tritons with cabins have circumnavigated 2-3 times, and another one is starting around as we speak, with a planned route past all the great capes. I have also spent a lot of time sailing Tritons.

Edited by - Steve Milby on 12/11/2011 09:20:05
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  09:26:45  Show Profile
Off-hand, I can't think of a daysailer/racer under 30' that has wheel steering... What waters and conditions do you sail in? "Daysailers" tend to be a little wetter, warmer, or colder than cruisers--especially if the cruiser has a dodger and bimini or other awning for rain or hot days...

If you want to turn some heads, the Alerion 28 will do the job (for a price), and I know the guy who's selling this [url="http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/Rozinante-Rockport-Marine-2385397/Mystic/CT/United-States"]Roznante[/url] in Mystic. Both are diesel-powered and have large cockpits plus small cabins suitable for a porta-pottie or whatever. (That can be useful on a daysailer.)

Dream on!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  09:39:06  Show Profile
I use my boat as a daysailer as well. If it didn't have place for my blond-haired, blue-eyed wife to get out of the sun occasionally, I'd be sailing singlehanded <i><b>all</b></i> the time, not just most of the time.

Edited by - John Russell on 12/11/2011 09:40:10
Go to Top of Page

At Ease
Admiral

Members Avatar

672 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  11:41:48  Show Profile
Merrick...sent you an email.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  12:10:37  Show Profile
The Capri 26 is a very nice cruiser, but don't expect it to point as well as a C-25. Also, it is a bit over 9' wide, weighs 1,000 lbs. more than a C-25 and has the same sail area, per specs, as the C-25 TR. That said I do enjoy crewing for a friend here in club races.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  13:17:04  Show Profile
What about holding out for a 89-90 wk with diesel and wheel? They're rare but they do pop up. Or do the conversion. You might come out even after having to sell ur current boat in this market. Then there's the sentimental value (I hope).

Edited by - NautiC25 on 12/11/2011 13:18:44
Go to Top of Page

Merrick
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
192 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  18:29:48  Show Profile
John "the Caine" would make a great name, especially now I know there is a family history of mutiny on the high seas!
The Alerion 28 for about $15k would be pretty perfect. Not really thinking of these open racers, but stable like a cruiser, just more room. Here's what caught my eye about the Cat270...
Pretty nice looking space for a 27'er. Course haven't seen one in person yet.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2011 :  20:57:01  Show Profile
Have you looked at the 250. The cockpit is huge when compared to the 25. OK, maybe huge might be an exaggeration, but it really is noticably larger both in the cockpit and below.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

SEAN
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
772 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  07:30:52  Show Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-4QKhdB6E& list=PLF5DA14DEF6FA9AC5& index=10& feature=plpp_video

this one looks like it shouldnt cost too much

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  11:10:03  Show Profile
I think a Sonar would be a great daysailor, but so is a Capri 25!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2011 :  11:41:45  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Merrick</i>
<br />...Also a small diesel inboard sounds good so wouldn't have to wrestle that outboard up and down every time...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Why not just leave the outboard down all the time? Yes it creates drag when sailing, but no more than an inboard prop would.

I typically leave my outboard down when sailing to have it available just in case a current is pushing me into a buoy or the wind dies when a freighter is bearing down. I do pull it up when docked, but I've seen others that leave theirs down all the time.

My boat is in fresh water so leaving the lower unit submerged should not be an issue. In salt water it may be different - though I'm not so sure the wet/dry cycling of salt water would be any better than leaving the lower unit wet all the time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2011 :  04:34:30  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I don't know if this is something to consider - A Catboat. They usually have large cockpit areas. Here is a photo of a Marshall Cat. It has wheel steering, diesel but has a centerboard and is smaller than what you are considering.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ruachwrights
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
258 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2011 :  08:13:17  Show Profile  Visit ruachwrights's Homepage
I'm with John. I think you should consider a Catalina 250 with wing keel, wheel, teak sole, auto helm, sail drive:). Wing keel brings more head room (though less "trailerablility"), the wheel frees the cockpit, the auto helm brings you ease of sailing and helps you negotiate the cabin top winches (as would moving the winches if you don't have crew that needs to be occupied- as I do) and the teak sole brings a bit of class to an otherwise "fiberglassy" feel. I mention the sail drive simply because of what you expressed earlier, but s nice electric start new OB is pretty nice too, especially when it comes to winterization and servicing.

Most of you C25 owners are awfully proud of your boats (who isn't proud of their sailboat?!) and don't think much of the 250, but the cockpit space is big on the 250, the walk through transom totally rocks, and the stern rail seats make enough room for two whole families or an entire confirmation class to be comfortable. Accommodations below decks aren't to shabby either as I routinely do overnights with a family of five including a demanding teenager. People complain about the boat being tender, but if you know how spill the main and reef, I can attest that she can withstand ocean seas and high winds. I have done allot of shopping and have sailed many other boats. If you compare the the cost and value of a relatively new, comparably well made, hassle free boat, the 250 wins every time- especially to a 99 per-center like myself.

Vern Wright

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Merrick
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
192 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2011 :  19:43:36  Show Profile
Good suggestions all....the quest continues. Searching and researching is half the fun anyway, there are a lot of great boats out there.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2011 :  20:23:56  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pastmember</i>
<br />I think a Sonar would be a great daysailor...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Agreed--huge, comfortable cockpit, small, fractionally rigged jib, cuddy cabin for porta-pottie and storage,... The rudder is inboard, with a tiller. She was designed specifically for one-design club fleet racing in the light air of western Long Island Sound--I saw the prototype years ago. But she'll run with the J-24 in heavier air--I've seen many races. I believe the class rules do not allow anyone outside of the cockpit, and the design allows everything, including a spinnaker, to be handled from there.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page