Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Hull/Cabin Sole Flex In Head & Aft of Port Settee
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/26/2012 :  07:53:34  Show Profile
When I walk forward in the head or stand (hunched) in there, I can feel the hull/cabin sole flexing under my feet.

When I walk stand by the port settee toward the aft end, I feel the cabin sole flex.

Does anybody else have that?

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - on

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2012 :  08:10:33  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sethp001</i>
<br />When I walk forward in the head or stand (hunched) in there, I can feel the hull/cabin sole flexing under my feet.

When I walk stand by the port settee toward the aft end, I feel the cabin sole flex.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I seem to recall a little flex on my '82... Frank was cutting back on fiberglass. Unacceptable, but given that these boats are built to a price point, I guess it's a given. Worse yet is seeing the water line thru the hull when down below and heeled over.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2012 :  09:06:07  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sethp001</i>
<br />When I walk forward in the head or stand (hunched) in there, I can feel the hull/cabin sole flexing under my feet.

When I walk stand by the port settee toward the aft end, I feel the cabin sole flex.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Could it be BMI related?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

keeldad
1st Mate

Members Avatar

84 Posts

Response Posted - 07/27/2012 :  10:16:29  Show Profile
Mine flexes a little fwd near the stbd setee and a little in the head. I used to think it was BMI related when I weighed 260. Now that I'm down below 200 it still flexes. I don't think it's anything structural, like Sten said, it's probably just a manufacturing cost savings. I toyed with the idea of trying to shore up the area near the setee via the bilge access board but I was concerned about making a hard spot against the hull that might cause more trouble than it's worth.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2012 :  11:24:55  Show Profile

I get the same thing aboard Confetti in the same places. I have for the almost 36 years I have sailed her. I think its just that Catalina's are not heavily built boats, and the proce point reflects it.

Chuck

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2012 :  07:35:54  Show Profile
Well... that is true, they flex. I lost one of the wood wedges that was suppostobe glassed in between the liner and the hull. It just fell out.

I was gonna wedge in a few more, from the bilge, but it got way down on the list. Really should be easy to do and thanks for reminding me.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  11:58:49  Show Profile
Would that hull flex make you hesitate to sneak your boat from Miami to Bimini in good weather?

Edited by - sethp001 on 08/06/2012 13:54:05
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  12:50:20  Show Profile
Can you determine if it is hull AND liner or only the liner flexing? If it is only the liner, I wouldn't give it much thought.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CarbonSink62
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
208 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  12:56:28  Show Profile
I seem to have the same issue on my '82; the sole just forward of where where you'd stand in the galley flexes (if you could stand in the galley, which you can't ). It seems that the DPO shot some foam under the sole to 'fix' it and raised the port side of the sole so now one side of my bilge access opening is about 3/4" higher than the other. The access plate doesn't sit right and one screw is stripped.

The boat sat with water in the bilge for 3 New England winters, not sure what effect that had; I doubt it was an improvement.

Seth: I think these posts are about the cabin sole flexing, not the hull/keel.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

65Roses
1st Mate

Members Avatar

26 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  13:43:24  Show Profile  Visit 65Roses's Homepage
This is off subject, however I thought it appropriate to congratulate keeldad on his weight loss of 60#, good deal.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sethp001

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  14:01:48  Show Profile
I meant hull flex. Sorry, I haven't been drinking yet.

As far as the liner goes, I believe there is no space between it and the hull in the head area so liner flex in the head would be hull flex in the head, but I could be wrong (haven't been drinking yet).

Yeah, good job for getting toward health body weight. I myself am 5'8" and weight about 150lbs. AND my cabin sole still flexes.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  15:45:38  Show Profile
<br />I meant hull flex. Sorry, I haven't been drinking yet.

As far as the liner goes, I believe there is no space between it and the hull in the head area so liner flex in the head would be hull flex in the head,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's the liner. I don't care how heavy you are, you ain't flexing the hull. Oil canning is not a Catalina trait.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  21:26:27  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sethp001</i>

As far as the liner goes, I believe there is no space between it and the hull in the head area so liner flex in the head would be hull flex in the head,<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

That's the liner. I don't care how heavy you are, you ain't flexing the hull. Oil canning is not a Catalina trait.

When doing the annual waxing, I was able to push against my '82 hull and watch it flex...

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2012 :  06:03:16  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sethp001</i>

When doing the annual waxing, I was able to push against my '82 hull and watch it flex...

sten

Were you waxing below the waterline?

Seth stated the flexing was on the cabin floor in the head area indicating that the flexing of the hull occurs near centerline and below the waterline.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page