Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast slot for luff on sail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Captmorgan
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/14/2013 :  20:14:57  Show Profile
Why is there that wide slot in the mast that allows the sail slugs to out of the track. Is there a device that would allow the sail to be flaked and folded with those Teflon bullets never coming. Is there a fix for this?

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Colonial Beach, VA

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Drone View of The Galway Picture taken with Helicopter Drone

Photo Album

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
5747 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2013 :  20:37:52  Show Profile
Mast gate plates.

Another option is a sail track stop in the slot just above the gate. But the gate plates have the advantage of allowing the slugs to go down to the gooseneck when you're reefing. The track stop keeps them higher, so the reef isn't quite as tidy.

The "wide slot" or opening is so you can install ("bend on") and remove the sail without taking the mast down.

Dave Bristle
"Honorary" member, USCG OUPV, and Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
DPO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/15/2013 07:34:19
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
5747 Posts

Mast gate plates.

Another option is a sail track stop in the slot just above the gate. But the gate plates have the advantage of allowing the slugs to go down to the gooseneck when you're reefing. The track stop keeps them higher, so the reef isn't quite as tidy.

The "wide slot" or opening is so you can install ("bend on") and remove the sail without taking the mast down.

Dave Bristle

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
5747 Posts

Mast gate plates.

Dave Bristle

Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2013 :  07:55:04  Show Profile
Thanks, seems like maybe Ill get one because you could drop faster without a mess. When you have to reef couldn't you just remove it and drop them down a level

Yesterday I had to raise the sail and reef on the way up. I don't like that it just seemed awkard almost seems like it would be good to have the reef in and then release it. The easy reef system works well that way.

I also had a issue I wanted to ask about. When the wind is at 15+ knots and your trying to raise the sail and put a reef in it was not fun. The cat sits out of the water and wind "grabs" her and sends it out of the wind. I found it a battle. I didnt have too much room in front before the shallow so going faster was not really and option.

I could have motor out further so I could go faster. Whats the right way to raise sails in higher winds. should I have reefed at the dock.

John PS thanks for your help.

quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Mast gate plates.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Thanks, seems like maybe Ill get one because you could drop faster without a mess. When you have to reef couldn't you just remove it and drop them down a level

Yesterday I had to raise the sail and reef on the way up. I don't like that it just seemed awkard almost seems like it would be good to have the reef in and then release it. The easy reef system works well that way.

I also had a issue I wanted to ask about. When the wind is at 15+ knots and your trying to raise the sail and put a reef in it was not fun. The cat sits out of the water and wind "grabs" her and sends it out of the wind. I found it a battle. I didnt have too much room in front before the shallow so going faster was not really and option.

I could have motor out further so I could go faster. Whats the right way to raise sails in higher winds. should I have reefed at the dock.

quote:

Mast gate plates.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

quote:

Mast gate plates.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3498 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2013 :  08:11:30  Show Profile
Definitely reef at the dock. As you said, you can always take the reef out later. When I had hank-on sails I also always made sure I had the right size jib on for the conditions before leaving the dock.

Make sure you heading directly into the wind before trying to raise your sails. Being off to one side just a little can make things get exciting quickly.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3498 Posts

Definitely reef at the dock. As you said, you can always take the reef out later. When I had hank-on sails I also always made sure I had the right size jib on for the conditions before leaving the dock.

Make sure you heading directly into the wind before trying to raise your sails. Being off to one side just a little can make things get exciting quickly.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3498 Posts

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
5747 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2013 :  19:10:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

Make sure you heading directly into the wind before trying to raise your sails...
...and the sheets released, and the motor still maintaining steerage speed into the wind.

Dave Bristle

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
5747 Posts

quote:

Make sure you heading directly into the wind before trying to raise your sails...
...and the sheets released, and the motor still maintaining steerage speed into the wind.

Dave Bristle

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
5747 Posts

quote:

Dave Bristle

Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2013 :  20:28:19  Show Profile
What do you mean sheet released. So you mean you leave the main sheet released so you dont start sailing. Dont you have to worry about the boom swinging. or is is safer to just let it go with the wind and try to keep the boat centered.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

What do you mean sheet released. So you mean you leave the main sheet released so you dont start sailing. Dont you have to worry about the boom swinging. or is is safer to just let it go with the wind and try to keep the boat centered.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
84 Posts

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1146 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2013 :  06:00:22  Show Profile
quote:

With the mainsheet loose, the sail is free to remain pointed into the wind. It usually stays centered, but if the wind turns the boat slightly the boom will swing to keep the sail pointed into the wind.

I cannot use a mast gate. I use a sail stop. I also have the main halyard marked at the point I need to lower the sail to reef it. That way, when I remove the sail stop, only the necessary sail slugs fall out of the mast.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1146 Posts

quote:

With the mainsheet loose, the sail is free to remain pointed into the wind. It usually stays centered, but if the wind turns the boat slightly the boom will swing to keep the sail pointed into the wind.

I cannot use a mast gate. I use a sail stop. I also have the main halyard marked at the point I need to lower the sail to reef it. That way, when I remove the sail stop, only the necessary sail slugs fall out of the mast.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1146 Posts

quote:

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
4251 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2013 :  08:30:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Captmorgan

The mainsheet and boom vang (and downhaul, if you have one) should be released when you raise the mainsail. If you don't release the mainsheet, the sail might fill and load up before you can get the sail raised to the top of the mast. If the mainsail loads up with wind, it makes it very difficult to raise it to the top of the mast. Also, if the vang is tensioned, it can also make it impossible to raise the sail all the way.

Steve Milby "Captiva Wind" C&C 35 Landfall
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
4251 Posts

quote:

The mainsheet and boom vang (and downhaul, if you have one) should be released when you raise the mainsail. If you don't release the mainsheet, the sail might fill and load up before you can get the sail raised to the top of the mast. If the mainsail loads up with wind, it makes it very difficult to raise it to the top of the mast. Also, if the vang is tensioned, it can also make it impossible to raise the sail all the way.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
4251 Posts

quote:

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
309 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2013 :  17:24:17  Show Profile  Send BCG-Woodbury an AOL message
I cheat a little, I motor out and head into the wind while I raise my sails. Nobody ever told me any differently and it appears to be working. I drop them in the same manner and motor in. When I get a little better I'll try it without motoring. Being on a lake and in a cove does present some challenges.

On a slightly dirrefernt topic, my Windex got shifted slightly when we raised the mast, the options are:

A) Leave it as is and sail?
B) Drop the mast and fix it?
C) Climb the same 28-Foot ladder I did last year yo fix the halyard?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian & JoAnne Gleissner
Knot So Fast
1984 Catalina 25, SR/SK
Traditional Interior
Lake Candlewood, CT
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
309 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2013 :  17:24:17  Show Profile  Send BCG-Woodbury an AOL message
I cheat a little, I motor out and head into the wind while I raise my sails. Nobody ever told me any differently and it appears to be working. I drop them in the same manner and motor in. When I get a little better I'll try it without motoring. Being on a lake and in a cove does present some challenges.

On a slightly dirrefernt topic, my Windex got shifted slightly when we raised the mast, the options are:

Thanks,

Brian & JoAnne Gleissner
Knot So Fast
1984 Catalina 25, SR/SK
Traditional Interior
Lake Candlewood, CT
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
309 Posts

Thanks,

Brian & JoAnne Gleissner
Knot So Fast
1984 Catalina 25, SR/SK
Traditional Interior
Lake Candlewood, CT
Go to Top of Page

BCG-Woodbury
Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
309 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2013 :  17:28:02  Show Profile  Send BCG-Woodbury an AOL message
BTW, CD sells the gate, it does require you to Drill and Tap the mast to install it. Not a tough job and well worth it. I struggled with it for half the season until I called the PO only to find out that it was in the drawer in the cabin.

Best of luck,

Brian & JoAnne Gleissner
Knot So Fast
1984 Catalina 25, SR/SK
Traditional Interior
Lake Candlewood, CT
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page