Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What have you fixed/upgraded today?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2014 :  18:53:26  Show Profile
I rigged a burgee halyard using the backstay. I tied a devilishly clever knot called an icicle hitch (you can tie it onto an icicle and it will hold on) onto the backstay and hung a small block on the bitter end. I ran a 3/16" halyard line through the block and pushed the icicle hitch and all up the backstay with my 3-section boat pole, up to about 3/4 of the way up. I tied the two ends together and secured the bottom of the loop to a small block on the transom near the backstay turnbuckle. I ran my US Power Squadron and Milford Power Squadron burgees up the halyard. Keeps the birds away if nothing else. ;-)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2014 :  04:23:43  Show Profile
Kenny, Another way of securing the tiller up out of the cockpit is to simply hook it into the mainsheet like this and a small velcro strap (From WM) around the bottom of the ladder can easily be reached from the water. The metal spring loaded flag clips might not be a good idea attached to the stays. They will rotate around the wire in the wind and could start to cut into them.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2014 :  06:46:47  Show Profile
My project - adding disc brakes to my C-22 trailer - is finally complete. I had a welding shop cut off the ball receiver on the trailer tongue, add metal to the extension tube to increase it to 3" square, drill holes for the actuator and put it on. I installed the rotor/hubs, calipers, and brake lines, with help from the guy I race with. Had a problem with the rotor/hubs overheating. Problem was solved at the trailer shop, since I couldn't figure it out. Stupid me! The break-away brake activator switch had been tripped. Reset that, now all is good.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2014 :  08:07:41  Show Profile
quote:
The break-away brake activator switch had been tripped. Reset that, now all is good.

Sometimes it's the little things that create the biggest problems

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2014 :  17:46:56  Show Profile
Took David out yesterday for a full day of sailing, swimming at anchor and relaxing. Was able to hop in the water with a sponge to give the hull a good wipe down and a little scrub of the water line. Quite a good day!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2014 :  03:04:10  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Went for a sail on Saturday and on Sunday, finished up the hull sides with it's annual application of Poliglow.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2014 :  04:06:28  Show Profile
Pretty boat David. It's fun to see how others have it setup.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

oldragbaggers
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
47 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2014 :  14:21:09  Show Profile  Visit oldragbaggers's Homepage
We had to spend this weekend at home to finish some projects on our teardrop camper and take care of some home projects, but in between all that I managed to clean a few pieces of the interior wood we removed. Clearly some of it will have to be replaced, but I think most of it is going to clean up real nice.

I also ordered fabric for my interior. I have always used rather conservative colors, more traditional, on my boat interiors. Not this time. I'm going to make it fun and use bright colors against an interior painted bright white. Yowza. My happy place.

We finally decided on a new name. Lance just couldn't get on board with Serendipity. He said anything ending in "ipity" just didn't work for him. We considered Sojourner III (Our first two Sojourners were a Bristol 24 and a Cape Dory 28), but this boat just didn't seem like a Sojourner to me. The first two were traditional full keels and this boat is not that. And in a lot of ways I'm glad its not. It needed a name of its own. We have settled on Seaquel. There is a story behind it.

#2239 is going to be a real beauty!!

Edited by - oldragbaggers on 06/15/2014 14:35:57
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2014 :  17:45:48  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
quote:
We have settled on Seaquel. There is a story behind it.

Great Name!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2014 :  04:22:24  Show Profile
Had a friend that couldn't decide on a name so one day I passed his boat and noticed he had finally put a name on the boat...DAMIFINO...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

oldragbaggers
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
47 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2014 :  05:35:53  Show Profile  Visit oldragbaggers's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Had a friend that couldn't decide on a name so one day I passed his boat and noticed he had finally put a name on the boat...DAMIFINO...

Damthatisfunny

Edited by - oldragbaggers on 06/16/2014 05:36:31
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2014 :  04:06:05  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
here's the spreader boots I made earlier this week. I was raising the mast that day and remembered that I had not bought spreader boots. I had some leather though ...<hr noshade size="1">
[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_gallery.cgi?Album+2710+186"][/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2014 :  08:10:38  Show Profile
Not related to boats, but a few weeks ago I replaced the mandrels (spindels) on my Craftsman lawn tractor's mower deck and replaced both blade brake arms that had broken (on separate occasions, first one wasn't an issue for about a year). The blades were clogging up too easily, and I had already replaced the blade engagement linkage. I decided to do it myself, because I couldn't get the Sears repair guy to bring the parts with him on a service call to the house. The jerk charged me over $100 for the service call and all he did was replace the blades, spark plug, and air filter. He said I should replace the entire mower deck (about $550). I bought the parts online for about $150. Oh yeah, I replaced the fuel filter, too, had the part in stock. The worst part was getting the deck out from under the tractor. Hopefully, the tractor will last until we sell the house in 2-3 years when we downsize. I'll let the tractor stay with the house.

Edited by - dmpilc on 06/19/2014 08:12:13
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2014 :  17:22:06  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage

I learned to splice this past weekend. Have a 12" loop for going through the locks and halfway through my dock lines. I have to get a pair of those rubber shock absorbers before I put the thimble on the other ends.

Edited by - justinkonecny on 06/19/2014 17:23:33
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2014 :  19:26:11  Show Profile
Nice job! Rope work is my preferred way to relax

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2014 :  21:15:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

When I used to go to drag boat races in the 70's one boat was called quitcherbitchin!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2014 :  08:35:46  Show Profile
Battery Charger/Maintainer & Tachometer for Engine

Just got a simple tach for the engine in the mail yesterday so I can better see what the engine is doing or if it's running optimally. $12 on ebay. Has a built in battery and one wire that wraps around the spark plug wire. The other nice thing is that it counts hours the engine is running which will hopefully help with maintenance.

Also, found out one of the Admiral's patients works at the West Marine near us as the head manager and said that anytime we need anything she can get it for us super cheap. That's an awesome connection! She got us a $150 2-bank battery charger/maintainer for $75 yesterday!!

Going to wire both pieces tonight since we have beautiful weather!

Edit: for photo

Edited by - DavidBuoy on 06/23/2014 05:22:20
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2014 :  07:27:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

Picked up some 100LL Aviation fuel for the outboard. Goin ethanol free!

After running the motor for a while the other day when I had to beat into the wind to get up a river in a small craft advisory I noticed just a little bit of an abnormal smell.
I pulled the plug last night which is very new and it looked like the motor has been running hot. Spoke with a marina neighbor for a bit who said it's the 100LL that will make it run hot. I started running that fuel to keep ethanol out but I suppose it's better to have ethanol then to burn way too hot. Gonna burn thru this fuel or maybe put it in my car then switch back. Oh well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Deltarat
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2014 :  17:33:04  Show Profile  Visit Deltarat's Homepage
I pulled the bulkhead out between the head and V-berth. I'm going to notch it about 12" so that my wide shoulders will have an easier time getting stuff out of the V-Berth and using the head for #2. I saw a post earlier about a new tv and saw that the owner had done this as well, looks a lot more open and usable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  10:44:38  Show Profile
Fav boat name is So-worth-it. Added a small block to the stern rail with a loop to use my foot as assist to raise the engine bracket at the end of the day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kennyge
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  12:50:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Fav boat name is So-worth-it. Added a small block to the stern rail with a loop to use my foot as assist to raise the engine bracket at the end of the day.

Hey Bruce, How about a pic. My 98lb Honda 8 hp can be a bear especially after a long day and a few beers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/23/2014 :  16:18:34  Show Profile
Try my 9.9. Bruce sounds brilliant and simple.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2014 :  12:46:32  Show Profile
Finally got out on the new sail. As expected, it was a phenomenal improvement over the old one. Perfect helm, pointing higher than I could before, and so much more responsive. Winds were very light, but it was a blast anyway.

First sail on the new US main

Edited by - TEM58 on 06/26/2014 12:51:53
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2014 :  13:45:28  Show Profile
Oh sure,Rub it in with the photo...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 06/26/2014 :  17:02:37  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Looks like you got a lot of camber, even with the full battens. How easily does it raise and lower? Is there only one slug between battens? How neatly does it fall when you drop it? I'd be interested in hearing how it handles when you get a brisk breeze. Thanks; and ENJOY!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page