Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Reliable Porta Potti
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/19/2018 :  05:21:40  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I was out sailing yesterday and when I came back in port, used the porta potti. Not that this is of such important info that you need to know I used the head but.....the bellows developed a leak - sprays when you push down on the bellows. I know this has happened to me in the past and at that time, I had replaced the porta potti with a similar unit - Sealand/Dometic 2.5 gallon bellow model.

I see that it may be possible to just replace the bellows - Can get a replacement bellows for around $30+ dollars. But I am kind of fed up with a bellows style porta potti - The bellows never last all that long. The plastic accordion matl just develops a crack over time. It probably should be made out of rubber.

Thetford, Dometic and some other companies sell models, similar is capacity but different flushing methods - piston type or battery operated type. I only researched this for a very short time but it seems that all have their failure modes.

Based on experience, for a self contained (porta potti style) head, has anyone had semi-long reliable experience with a specific mfr and/or method of flushing ? (For example, has lasted for 5+ years with moderate use each season.) Why do you think it has held up better than other models ?

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 11/19/2018 05:23:37

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2018 :  08:37:54  Show Profile
Larry I used tat Sealand model for over 20 years and never had a problem.Maybe you've been unlucky.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2018 :  09:14:41  Show Profile
Gal. jug of water works for me. Never used the bellows or ever put any water in the top half.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2018 :  10:12:45  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Derek, I am wondering if cold weather may negatively impact the reliability of the plastic bellows. I oftentimes will go out sailing in the winter if the temps are not too bad and the sun is out. For example, I was out sailing yesterday and temps were 42F. Yesterday was first day the bellows started spraying a bit.

Scott, That is an excellent work-around ! Just have a jug of water nearby and add it to flush the bowl out. Wow ! Great idea.

Still these porta potti's should work reliably, as designed. Perhaps, when temps start lowering in the Fall, like below 50F or so, then use the jug of water rather than stress the plastic bellows that may get a bit brittle in cold weather. Right now, cold temps is the only thing I can think of that is affecting the porta potti. As it is, when it gets into late Fall, like yesterday, that is when I start considering emptying the porta potti, leaving it in a dry condition awaiting the spring time. It is just that the water temps right now are above freezing and so even if the air temps hover around 32 overnight, I wind up waiting a bit longer before taking the porta potti out of service for the winter months.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2018 :  13:44:47  Show Profile
Here is a hack fix that might be worth a try. Remove and expand the bellows some then wrap the accordion section with rigging tape.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/19/2018 :  22:03:02  Show Profile
So, talking about the bellows. If you put water in the unit and it goes below freezing then you might have a problem with swelling the water as it freezes or cracking the hardened plastic. If, however, you use the blue water smell neutralizer stuff it probably has some kind of antifreeze in it, so it shouldn’t stress or stretch out the bellows.
Now, most people put their boats away when temps dip below freezing, and they may drain the potty completely at haul out. Others prefer frostbiting which is fine on a chilly but sunny day. Anything that uses plain water like the porta potty, drinking water jugs, or the head and galley sinks are susceptible to freezing pipes, hoses, drains, valves and the like. Since freezing water expands by 8%, it’s good to be mindful of that fact in anything you do, especially in the cold overnights when you’re not around.
Freezing water could potentially burst a through-hull valve and then you’d be in a heap of trouble!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 11/19/2018 22:05:11
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2018 :  04:45:38  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I was not so concerned regarding freezing the porta potti. I watch the temps and as long as the river water temperature is significantly above freezing, then the porta potti is okay. I do winterize the porta potti, well, basically I empty all of the water out of it just before we really get into the cold weather...which is right around now. I am not so concerned about swelling or expansion of the bellows or porta potti plastic by freezing water within the unit since i do drain it before freezing temps affect the porta potti. My thinking is that it may be the cold weather before freezing temps set in, like when temps drop into the 40s. My thought is that perhaps the soft flexible plastic of the bellows becomes somewhat brittle in the semi-cold temps and therefore more prone to cracks in it. I have noticed, but rarely, same thing happening with one or two of the oxidation or polishing liquid bottles onboard. I may squeeze the bottle and the bottle may crack. It's not cracking due to freezing temps but the plastic bottle, over time, must become more susceptible to brittleness/cracking. This is what I am thinking may also be the case with the porta potti bellows and so best that I take it out of service even before we get into the 40s.

In any case, this is second time I have had bellows crack on me. So, I was wondering if anyone has had reliable experience with the slightly more expensive porta potti models that come with a piston versus a bellows. From what I understand, the piston is pumped once or twice to pressurize the air slightly to push water downstream to flush the bowl. I imagine it acts sort of like a very low pressure bike pump. So, instead of utilizing a flexible accordion like plastic bellows that continually flexes the plastic, it utilizes a sort of plunger that is pushed within the cylinder and the rubber seals within it help slightly compress the air to force water into the bowl.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2018 :  12:31:36  Show Profile
Your probably right that the colder temps would make the bellows prone to cracking but it is a lousy design constantly flexing. It's only a matter of time before it splits. My Bi- pot has a plunger that I'm not thrilled about. The rubber cup at the end of the plunger has a tendency to get pulled off the plastic rod so that is one of the reasons I just use the gallon jugs. I'm not saying that a different brand would have the same problem and could be just mine. I would say to try them out. On the other hand just replace the bellows and chalk it up as occasional maintenance. Even the built in heads need to be rebuilt occasionally and is a nastier job.

Edited by - islander on 11/20/2018 12:45:02
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2018 :  13:06:05  Show Profile
Since you occasionally sail in the winter you could empty the upper half then mix up a half gallon of pink antifreeze and half gallon of water into a gallon jug. That would give you 2 gallons to use for flushing through the winter. The antifreeze mix will keep the bottom container from freezing although I've been told that sewage doesn't freeze because as it breaks down it generates heat.

Edited by - islander on 11/20/2018 13:13:17
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2018 :  04:55:32  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I am mulling over the use of the jug. For one thing, your suggestion to mix it with anti-freeze for use during the winter has merit since I would generally drain the unit in the winter time since not sure if adding anti-freeze would harm the unit. However, since the bellows are already defective, not too much concern trying the anti-freeze - Then I can use in the winter time as long as I can survive exposing my lower extremities to the cold! Well...I don't sail in 32F weather, but if temps warm up a bit and it is sunny, then I will go out and it is not unheard of to get some real mild weather for a few days here and there.

The use of the jug certainly resolves the bellows issue but....it just doesn't seem right to have to resort to using a jug if the units were designed to remain reliable for years. Then again, Derek indicated he has had long time reliability with his unit.

I am going to take some time to scour the web and see if I can come up with info that sways me perhaps to a different mfr or method of flush (ie. Piston method versus bellows or the battery operated units.

You would think this is not such a big deal to design a reliable unit. After all, the flush water is in the top unit. Just gravity alone should be able to flush squirt the bowl, never mind having to utilize a thin accordion bellows pump or etc other means of flushing the bowl.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2018 :  06:41:04  Show Profile
The antifreeze (pink) is used in houses, motorhomes,inground pool plumbing and boat/RV plumbing as a standard way to prevent freezing so I don't see why it would cause any harm to what is essentially a plastic container.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2018 :  11:12:42  Show Profile
We don’t use the bellows, mainly because a visitor using the toilet on the boat will pump too much water down the head.
We have 12 oz water bottles for flushing, it limiits water use so the head doesn’t fill up with over flushing.

In our last boat a visitor would use 10 gallons like they were on a land toilet.

I guess you could use the pink RV fluid in the winter for flushing out of a bottle.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2018 :  11:09:02  Show Profile
Gave up on water supply no matter what brand or pump style. Use a 1 gallon empty Almond Milk jug as it is sturdier than the real milk jugs. Wrote "Potty Water" on jug both sides and placed behind toilet. All newcomers get the head tour included in the safety tour, so never have problems with flushing the head.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2018 :  08:19:50  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello all,

I had the bellows fail on mine as well and replaced it. figured it was just old age and worn out. It wasn't really difficult but was a bit on the expensive side. I live in so. Cal. so freezing isn't really an issue for me. Thanks to this posting I will be switching to the water bottle flush method and never have to repair the bellows again. On a side note, Are most of you not using the blue anti odor/bio breakdown stuff at all...? Not trying to get too personal, mostly I/we try to only use the porta potty for #1 and only #2 if absolutely necessary.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2018 :  09:10:46  Show Profile
We always use the odor control juice in our head, even #1 can get smelly after a couple of weeks.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/30/2018 :  18:03:34  Show Profile
I liked my electric push button potty.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/02/2018 :  09:47:28  Show Profile
Even better, to me, is an electric demand pressure water system. Then the pottie and sink can run off that, as mine do. And my sink faucet has a threaded tip for attaching a hose. I only turn the circuit on when I'm going to use the water, but when everything is closed, the pump shuts itself off. I suspect, however, that regular porta-potties aren't designed for pressurized water...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/12/2018 :  17:19:45  Show Profile
Dave, if you ever decide to draft prints/instructions of how to install such a system into a C-25, you may have retirement annuity (smile)

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/16/2018 :  09:59:33  Show Profile
Hi Peter... Hose from water tank to demand pump hooked to 12V circuit; hose from demand pump to ordinary faucet (cold side, hot side capped off), optional T to run hose to head. Done. Payments can go to the local United Way (or Community Fund in your case).

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2018 :  20:39:51  Show Profile
Got it -- Will Do!

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2019 :  11:12:28  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Back in Nov 2018, I mentioned that "I am going to take some time to scour the web and see if I can come up with info that sways me perhaps to a different mfr or method of flush (ie. Piston method versus bellows or the battery operated units. "

So, I have done that and I have come to a few conclusions.

1) I am stubborn: a. I want a Porta Potti that is reliable and not have to resort to using jugs of water to do the flushing.
b. I am not going with the electric flush for the rare occasion that the battery dies out and there is no way to flush it.
c. I am not going with the bellows pump due to my own bad news experiences and on the web found some others with same complaint.

2) I am mostly considering or set upon getting a piston pump flush model snce most on the web that have used multiple flush models indicate it is better (but more expensive) than the bellows pump flush models.

3) Some or should I say in particular one of the two most popular marine Porta Pottis does not appear to sell replacement parts for their bellows or piston pump models and besides, since it was their bellows pump models that have caused me grief in the past, I am not getting another from them. There present models seem to have favorable ratings on Amazon but not convinced to try again and also because I do not believe you can replace the parts that fail most frequently.

4) The other most popular marine mfr has parts - You can replace the piston pump but the cost is about half the cost of the Porta Potti and that is swaying me away from them as well...even though the piston is more reliable and may never fail. Considering one of these models but....then there is the below.....

5) Looking at other Porta Pottis on the web. There are many, mainly used for camping, etc. Downside is that they almost all do not have mounting brackets - Most are free standing. But you could put wood supports and/or bungee cords to support....and the reason I am considering this option is because the marine model I was considering in para 4, above, turns out that on Amazon, some complained that the mounting bracket was flimsy and they wound up reinforcing with wood supports and/or bungee cords, anyway !

6) So, there turns out there are quite a few other Porta potti mfrs out there and Amazon purchasers, for the most part, have given them very favorable reviews. However, checking the company websites for more details and just how well their models are supported - Turns out that a number of them, they really are not Porta Potti mfrs but sell many varied type of in related to Porta Potti products and have no support, parts or other info or in some cases, not even any phone numbers and in a few cases, not even websites - In some cases, Companies that just distribute all types of products. So, if the Porta Potti holds up, then fine...otherwise, you are out of luck and back to finding another to buy.

7. One Porta Potti, I am interested in and may buy it, It ain't cheap. But it at least is made by a mfr, a Canadian mfr, that does have a Porta potti line of products. Also has parts support and a phone number to reach them. Amazon sells it or you can buy it directly. The mfr charges shipping but you can get it via Amazon Prime. The difference with shipping costs is about $7 more from the Mfr. The piston pump can be replaced and it is about $10 plus shipping. The Mfr is Sanitation Equipment Limited. The model I am considering is the Visa 24. I would have to improvise how to secure it. Check it out and see what you think. But quite frankly, every Porta Potti out there has some deficiency, though, some are uncommon, like the flush handle to drop the load into the bottom tank - Just a few indicated it broke off. Most had no issues at all and some have used it for many years and some have used it in the house on a daily basis on a floor level that had no bathroom ...and said it worked fine !

I know....all this for a freakin Porta Potti......I'm getting carried away on this "stinkin" issue. LOL

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 02/14/2019 11:22:00
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2019 :  15:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Larry, for all the thought you're putting into this I'm surprised that you are not considering a so-called "composting" toilet like the Nature's Head or the Air Head (they don't really compost the solids, because the necessary temperatures are not attained, but they desiccate and deodorize them). Those two models (there are other options) stand a little taller than many porta-potties, so your feet are not on the sole when you're seated, but the converse is that there's less splashing (and less likelihood of guests missing) when standing in front of it.

The advantages over conventional porta-potties are substantial. Foremost is reducing the need to regularly carry the holding tank - with a few heavy gallons of obnoxious contents - to a land-side toilet for disposal. The solids tank in one of these units can go without emptying for a long, long time, depending on usage. I still haven't had to empty mine since I installed it almost two years ago, and I use it regularly (and irregularly, pun intended). Admittedly, it's generally just me using it, but a number of couples have posted accounts of similar reductions in emptying frequency. The liquids tank, on the other hand, does need regular emptying, but it's a lot easier to do than a porta-potty. Arguably one might even simply dump it overboard when you're out in open water, and it might be causing no more harm to the environment than if you had simply been peeing over the side instead of into the toilet (a practice that I'm sure is commonplace).

The reduction in stink is another big advantage. I've turned-off the fan from my Air Head to see if it's really necessary, and I found that it wasn't. In fact, because it draws out the moisture in the tank, I need to periodically add a bit of fresh water to the contents to keep it moist enough for the "good" bacteria to remain ready for new deposits. Once they have done their job, and a new deposit becomes desiccated, the contents can dry out completely and there's no smell - or need for the fan - at all. During regular use, however, the only odor produced is a musty smell similar to damp peat moss, and that's only evident when the trap door is opened as the unit is well-sealed. If the fan dies I could live with that until I could get around to replacing it. This is nowhere near as bad as a porta-potty when the deodorizing liquid becomes overpowered. I've discovered that this can happen even when the contents just sit, with no new contributions, if additional deodorizing liquid is not periodically added. When the trap door is finally opened - even just for a liquid deposit - that stink is horrendous.

And this leads to a third advantage. The deodorizing liquid that you have to regularly add to a porta-potty is a biocide, to kill the "bad" bacteria that cause the stink. Thus, when you empty the tank into a land-side toilet, you're contributing a harmful dose of biocide to the public sewer system. Public sewage treatment relies on bacteriological action at the plant, and anything that interferes with that process puts additional burden on the system operators. Emptying the tank into a chemical pit toilet at a campground does even greater harm.

Here's a picture of the installation I did. This shot doesn't show the hose to the fan. I had initially mounted the fan in the side of the cabin trunk, just aft of the window. However, since that side of my boat was subject to the increased exterior pressure from the prevailing winds for much of the year, I moved it to the cabin top with a cowl to direct the flow aft (the cowl needed an insert to prevent water on the cabin top from being blown into the exhaust outlet). In my case the wood step that extended the deck that the appliance sat on was failing, so I built this new arrangement out of HDPE sheet (like StarBoard). While I was at it I built it to protect the hoses from the bilge pumps, as well as providing some protection for the pumps themselves. None of this would be necessary if your original wood extension step is still in good condition and you don't have your bilge pumps there.

For anyone who just spends a few hours on their boat on an infrequent basis, the initial investment in time and money to install a "composting" toilet may not seem justifiable. But I'd imagine that, for many of us who participate in this forum, the head is an important piece of equipment. It's certainly worth the upgrade to more than just a different model of porta-potty.

Give this some more thought, Larry.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

Edited by - Lee Panza on 02/14/2019 15:30:24
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2019 :  15:42:09  Show Profile
quote:
The model I am considering is the Visa 24. I would have to improvise how to secure it.

Definitely done your homework. I have always been skeptical about mounting a porta-potti. I always thought the system with clamps and plastic was pretty flimsy and prone to breaking so I did mine by installing some aluminum angle brackets on the floor that I made up from some stock I had that the potty sits in snugly. No sliding around. Then I made a teak drop in bar that goes across the front. I will say that this has never moved. The boat would have to turn turtle for it to do so and to remove it for emptying you just lift the teak bar and take the potti out. No reaching for clamps. Much better than bungee cords!

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2019 :  16:16:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

Back in Nov 2018, I mentioned that "I am going to take some time to scour the web and see if I can come up with info that sways me perhaps to a different mfr or method of flush (ie. Piston method versus bellows or the battery operated units. "

1) I am stubborn: a. I want a Porta Potti that is reliable and not have to resort to using jugs of water to do the flushing.
b. I am not going with the electric flush for the rare occasion that the battery dies out and there is no way to flush it.
c. I am not going with the bellows pump due to my own bad news experiences and on the web found some others with same complaint.

2) I am mostly considering or set upon getting a piston pump flush model snce most on the web that have used multiple flush models indicate it is better (but more expensive) than the bellows pump flush models.

3) Some or should I say in particular one of the two most popular marine Porta Pottis does not appear to sell replacement parts for their bellows or piston pump models and besides, since it was their bellows pump models that have caused me grief in the past, I am not getting another from them. There present models seem to have favorable ratings on Amazon but not convinced to try again and also because I do not believe you can replace the parts that fail most frequently.

4) The other most popular marine mfr has parts - You can replace the piston pump but the cost is about half the cost of the Porta Potti and that is swaying me away from them as well...even though the piston is more reliable and may never fail. Considering one of these models but....then there is the below.....

5) Looking at other Porta Pottis on the web. There are many, mainly used for camping, etc. Downside is that they almost all do not have mounting brackets - Most are free standing. But you could put wood supports and/or bungee cords to support....and the reason I am considering this option is because the marine model I was considering in para 4, above, turns out that on Amazon, some complained that the mounting bracket was flimsy and they wound up reinforcing with wood supports and/or bungee cords, anyway !

6) So, there turns out there are quite a few other Porta potti mfrs out there and Amazon purchasers, for the most part, have given them very favorable reviews. However, checking the company websites for more details and just how well their models are supported - Turns out that a number of them, they really are not Porta Potti mfrs but sell many varied type of in related to Porta Potti products and have no support, parts or other info or in some cases, not even any phone numbers and in a few cases, not even websites - In some cases, Companies that just distribute all types of products. So, if the Porta Potti holds up, then fine...otherwise, you are out of luck and back to finding another to buy.

7. One Porta Potti, I am interested in and may buy it, It ain't cheap. But it at least is made by a mfr, a Canadian mfr, that does have a Porta potti line of products. Also has parts support and a phone number to reach them. Amazon sells it or you can buy it directly. The mfr charges shipping but you can get it via Amazon Prime. The difference with shipping costs is about $7 more from the Mfr. The piston pump can be replaced and it is about $10 plus shipping. The Mfr is Sanitation Equipment Limited. The model I am considering is the Visa 24. I would have to improvise how to secure it. Check it out and see what you think. But quite frankly, every Porta Potti out there has some deficiency, though, some are uncommon, like the flush handle to drop the load into the bottom tank - Just a few indicated it broke off. Most had no issues at all and some have used it for many years and some have used it in the house on a daily basis on a floor level that had no bathroom ...and said it worked fine !

I know....all this for a freakin Porta Potti......I'm getting carried away on this "stinkin" issue. LOL

Cheap and effective. LOL

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2019 :  16:20:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

Cheap and effective. LOL

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2019 :  19:26:33  Show Profile
Lee: I have considered and reconsidered the Air Head -- very tempting. Question: how is the "height" vs either the original head or a port-potty? Is it to high for short people or reasonable? I like your installation and as our hull numbers are similar, would guess our head compartments are the same configuration.

If you replaced the head with holding tank, what firings, if any did you retain (e.g. vent) or none.

I like the idea, just want to make sure logistics work.

Peter Bigelow
Rowayton, Ct
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page