Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Blisters
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

myersge1
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/22/2018 :  09:12:04  Show Profile
When I bought my Catalina 25 2+ years ago, the original rudder was split down the leading edge and the previous owner was using a kick-back rudder in it's place. Earlier this year, I built a rudder from scratch matching the original rudder's shape. I applied the first coat of gelcoat but no barrier coat. I had friends coming for a weekend sail so I put it on the boat with the intention of bringing it back home to finish it with a layer of gelcoat and a couple barrier coats. One thing lead to another and instead of just the weekend, it stayed on the boat in the water for 7 months. Every time I'd sail over the summer I'd think, "I need to take that home and finish it" but I didn't. Don't judge me.

When I took it off and pressure washed it last weekend, I wasn't very surprised to see all the tiny blisters. I thought I'd post this as an educational piece to show everyone what happens to an unprotected fiberglass material (polyester resin) after being in the water for awhile. It simply illustrated that fiberglass is not waterproof and barrier coats are really important if you leave your boat in the water.

Click to View Full Sized Image

I'll sand it all down, apply fairing, barrier, gelcoat, and anti-fouling and it will be ready for winter sailing.

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2018 :  10:30:30  Show Profile
First I'd like to say that you did a super job on building a rudder. You have talent and I would say you know how to fix the blisters. Nice job!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2018 :  10:51:04  Show Profile
Take it home, open up the blisters and leave the rudder by your furnace or other warm place for a month. Then fill the blisters, barrier coat and antifoul it, and enjoy your good work.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2018 :  14:27:41  Show Profile
Yep. Let the rudder dry before applying any coating.

Mike
Chariots of Fire
1981 Cat-25. sail number 2230
SR/SK Dinette Version
Go to Top of Page

myersge1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2018 :  14:37:56  Show Profile
Will do. I didn't plan on drying it for a month but better safe than sorry. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2018 :  16:54:13  Show Profile
Some people recommend drying blisters for as much as 6 months. I don't think that's necessary. 30 days might not be necessary either, but after you've done that much work, it's probably worthwhile to protect your work. Any moisture in there will be there forever after you barrier coat it.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 11/25/2018 :  11:11:38  Show Profile
Nice job on making rudder.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

myersge1
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 11/26/2018 :  19:21:27  Show Profile
Thanks. I wasn't sure what the original rudder's core was made of so I used two sheets of 3/4" plywood glued together. I wanted to err on the side of too much strength rather than risk it cracking if I'm caught out in a storm. The top to bottom shape was easy. I just traced it. The tricky part was the "wing" shape of the bottom half of the rudder. I traced it as well while realizing that it was slightly deformed from absorbing so much moisture.

I found some rudder cross-section drawings on-line so I had a pretty good idea of the different widths from front to back. I used a belt sander to get the rough shape and used the plywood layers as a guide.

After some hand sanding of the edges, I applied several layers of fiberglass.

I finished with a layer of gelcoat but realized that it wasn't all smooth (my haste to get it done) so I sanded down the obvious spots. That is why the original photo shows several spots where you can see the fiberglass through the gelcoat. What is that old saying, "If you don't do it right the first time, you'll get an opportunity to redo it later".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page