Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Reliable Porta Potti
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2019 :  11:37:38  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Peter: As long as I can remember to do so, when I get down to the boat today, I'll take some measurements and respond in detail.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2019 :  19:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
OK, Peter, here are a couple of vertical dimensions. The top of the seat on my AirHead is about 19" above the deck that the appliance sits on. That deck is about 7" above the low point of the sole. Overall 26" isn't a problem for me, nor for my adult guests, but I could imagine it being difficult for small children. BTW, that 19" height (the lid adds another 3/4") is only 2-1/2" higher than that Visa Potty 24L, just for comparison.

One thing I could suggest to help with this is to replace the horizontal top piece of the wood step that extends the deck (see Scott's first photo, above). As I mentioned, mine was so degraded when I got the boat (I can imagine what contributed to that!) that I opted to replace the entire assembly. One could replace the horizontal part with a wider piece that cantilevers farther toward the center of the boat, extending the deck to provide room on both sides of the pee-tank to step up on. If you look at the picture I posted, you'll see that the pee-tank cantilevers well beyond the edge of the deck extension that I made. If the deck was extended out that far, or even a little beyond, there would be plenty of room on both sides. Note that I mounted my unit well forward of the center of the alcove (for several reasons); if it had been closer to the center, and if the bilge pumps weren't mounted here, there would be plenty of space on both sides. The only constraint on this is to leave enough room for the crank (which can mount on either side).

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

BTW, I bought my AirHead at a boat show, and IIRC it was something like 10% off the normal online price. And it's boat show season again.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

Edited by - Lee Panza on 02/17/2019 20:11:00
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2019 :  11:28:58  Show Profile
Lee, Thanks! Great information. I do agree extending the "step" makes good sense and with such a project should be easy to do.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2019 :  00:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
If I can offer another suggestion: instead of the outer edge of the step being straight, cut it so that the middle portion is narrower than the areas near each end. That way there's room near the ends to plant one's feet on but the middle allows one to stand closer when facing the unit. If the unit is near the center of the alcove (leaving clearance for the crank to be turned without hitting the bulkhead), there should be plenty of room on each side. It might be advisable to fasten supports to the bulkheads beneath the extended ends of this platform. I'd recommend making the platform out of HDPE from someplace like Tap Plastics or McMaster-Carr. Like I said, that step was quite degraded when I acquired my boat. 3/4" HDPE is quite sturdy if properly supported.

In addition, you'll note in my photo that I also cut a portion out of the vertical riser to allow me to stand close without my toes hitting that riser.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)

Edited by - Lee Panza on 02/19/2019 00:48:22
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2019 :  05:06:01  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Lee - Thanks for the info and your set up looks great ! I had not really given the composting toilets much thought so I probably should revisit it. Not sure if I am willing to make the jump toward it... The std Porta Potti works for me as long as it doesn't "crap" out after 2-3 years of use with no reasonable way to put it back into operation. I mostly am the only one that uses it and infrequent enough that it only has to be emptied once a year, usually as winter is approaching when I generally take it off the boat. I just want to get one that is a bit more reliable without having the bellows pump start spraying water out of a leak path and if a replacement part will solve the trick, then I am okay with that if it is not too costly. From what I have read - The piston style pump seems to be the way to go.

Scott - Yes that mounting you have is what I am considering because there are many Porta Potti Mfrs but not that many with a hold down bracket that is secure. The Dometic/Sealand has a decent hold down bracket but as I detailed, I have had the Bellow pump issues...so I am ready to give another mfr a try. Thetford makes the 365 that has a piston pump but some reviews indicate the mounting bracket is flimsy and so they used reinforcement or something like what you configured. Then there is the Sanitation Equipment Limited's Visa 268 and 248 models - Does not have mounting brackets but your mounting solves that issue - So going with the 365 or the 248 or 268 means I will go with a bracket like what you have developed.

The costs: Thetford 365 is around $140, may be able to get it cheaper scouring the web but going with Amazon is easy and reputable but...~ $140. The cost is due to the larger holding tank and piston pump instead of the bellows pump. A replacement piston pump costs a whopping ~ $40 or around that but Amazon sells it.. A Visa 248 18 Liter which has a decent holding tank just under 5 gallons and Amazon sells it for $99 w/free shipping. You can buy a replacement piston pump for $10 from the mfr but then shipping is about ...$9 (only if it needs to be replaced). The rubber seal is also available thru the Canadian mfr and believe is a bit less expensive than the piston pump and has a similar shipping cost. So...that's what it comes down to for me. The Visa 18 is reasonable via Amazon and replacement parts are available at reasonable cost but need to pay for shipping.

I will take a look at the Airhead but will probably just try the Visa 248 out for $99 and a simple mounting bracket mod to hold it.

and...I still have my old Dometic laying in the garage.....if I ever want to re-install it and use the water bottle flushing method !!

The red urinal bottle that I have in my cockpit hatch is starting to look more favorable ....No mods, no replacement parts necessary and no moving parts except the cap. All this pondering...I think I now need to go and use the restroom!

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page