Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Self Pressurized Water Supply
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/03/2018 :  10:12:28  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
So these "self pressurized water supplies" like this: https://shop.thewaterport.com/collections/day-tank

Are becoming very popular. I wonder if anyone looking to move to pressurized water in their C-25 would consider installing one of these where the old tank is and forgo the electric pump?

The "infrastructure" of parts needed to make it work already exist so it should be pretty easy - shore water connections(not even truly necessary, just bring the hose inside the cabin) and pressurized marine plumbing fixtures.

For winterization - probably best to just remove the tank? Though I suppose you could just drain it. If I drained it I would want to remove it and clean it at the beginning of the season anyway.

For shocking - would probably have to stack bleach/shock in the fill hose and then connect to water supply.

One huge benefit may be the elimination of "boat water". If you can keep the system pressurized 24/7 you should be able to keep the water pretty fresh -> no bacteria/bugs can get into a pressurized system, and the chlorine cannot off-gas.

Replacement? Cheaper than a standard tank, and installation is(can be) just one single screw-on hose fitting. Can't get easier than that.

Capacity? Right now capacity is small. If I wanted to shower I would probably bring a separate shower, maybe a Rinse Kit or maybe one of the pressurized showers with foot pump.

Anyone willing to give it a try? ;-)

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2018 :  12:51:21  Show Profile
quote:
Capacity? Right now capacity is small. If I wanted to shower I would probably bring a separate shower,

Kinda defeats the purpose no? Do you really want to haul and store more stuff? Its the small 3.8 gal capacity that is the problem. It would be nice on a smaller boat without any plumbing though.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2018 :  13:35:59  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
quote:

Kinda defeats the purpose no?
Its the small 3.8 gal capacity that is the problem.

Islander, you have defined in your head what the 'purpose' is and why 3.8 gallons is a 'problem' but you haven't shared this information so I don't know what your issue is.

Having a separate RinseKit for a shower makes sense to me because -> less boat plumbing to leak, don't have to drill another hole in the boat for a cockpit shower, you only bring it and store it when you need it(9/10 times you don't), can easily bring the RinseKit to the beach/camping/wherever else thus you only have one portable shower system to maintain and your life becomes simpler and more enjoyable as as result.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 12/03/2018 :  14:19:35  Show Profile
quote:
Having a separate RinseKit for a shower makes sense to me because -> less boat plumbing to leak, don't have to drill another hole in the boat for a cockpit shower, you only bring it and store it when you need it(9/10 times you don't), can easily bring the RinseKit to the beach/camping/wherever else thus you only have one portable shower system to maintain and your life becomes simpler and more enjoyable as as result.

No issue at all. Now you are supplying more info as to how you plan to use it and before I could only guess. Sounds like it would work for you.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2018 :  10:18:17  Show Profile
I always like seeing new ideas. Unfortunately I think the Catalina 25 is just too small a boat to start adding all this additional stuff.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2019 :  05:14:13  Show Profile
I installed a pressure water pump to the existing tank with new faucets. I used an RV water pump. System works quire well and was not hard to install. I glued a block of wood to the hull near the tank, mounted the pump and rerouted the supply hose. Removed the pump faucets and installed new faucets from Defender. Installed a switch to control power to the pump. I mounted the switch below the galley sink with an indicator light.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1234 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2019 :  14:17:19  Show Profile
Nicely done!

Ben
Beneteau 361
Viking Kitty
Columbus, Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2019 :  14:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Pressurized water is a nice amenity, and it's easy enough to install. When I'm drawing water for cooking or dish-washing I'm happy to be able to simply turn the knob. I, too, started by installing an RV pump, but I discovered that this was a mistake in a boat with damp bilges (I understand that many owners never have water in their bilges, so this probably doesn't apply to them). My first pump, a Flojet, lasted six years and then noisily ground to its death. When I opened it up I discovered extensive corrosion damage inside. There are holes for ventilation, but these allow moist air into the unprotected metallic surfaces inside. I replaced it with a Shurflo Aqua King II, which is designed to be a marine pump and is competitively priced, and I haven't had any trouble since. Just something to keep in mind.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 01/04/2019 :  20:21:23  Show Profile
Pressurized or bottled water end up being only as convenient as the discharge. I love dry bilges, so am always thinking how to avoid "domestic" water entering the bilge.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 01/04/2019 20:21:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page