Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 I'm going to call it winch wrap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Akenumber
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/06/2019 :  18:58:32  Show Profile
So, haven't had issues with this in the past. The problem is lately when we winch our main sail or the sheets the line seems to coil around its self instead of laying up the winch. We are talking 3 to 4 wraps here. Is there a simple fix or does this just happen sometimes? Lewmar 6, I think. Non tailing. Any help appreciated.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2019 :  19:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Less wraps, tail overhand and pull to the side, it will bring in 3X the line so no binding.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 01/06/2019 19:19:52
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2019 :  19:22:20  Show Profile
I think you are referring to your jib sheet, not main sheet. The two most common reasons why the jib sheet overrides itself on the winch are: (1) The jib sheet must run up, from the genoa car to the winch. If it runs downward, it can override.
(2) You must pull the jib sheet with a smooth, constant speed, and not too fast. If you pull it too fast, and not at a constant speed, then the winch is spinning fast, and when you pull the sheet slower, the winch grips the line and overrides itself.

When I first bought my C25 I had fairly frequent overrides, but after awhile it stopped happening, so I suspect your problem is mostly line handling technique described in (2).

John makes a good point. Only put two wraps on the winch. Ordinarily that's enough. More wraps invites overrides.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 01/06/2019 19:25:37
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2019 :  21:02:33  Show Profile
I think my most common cause of overrides on the winch was yanking the sheet to take it up as the sail came across in a tack. Don’t try to get it all in instantly—it actually won’t even help performance. Trimming smoothly as the sail fills while you adjust course back to windward (after turning a little past your planned heading) gets you going and keeps a steady tension on the winch. Also pull the sheet horizontally off the winch—not upward, which causes the wraps to climb up the drum until they override. And yes, no more than three turns—generally two except in heavy conditions.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/06/2019 21:21:47
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 01/06/2019 :  22:02:31  Show Profile
I would have to say at 2 to 3 also does it, but smoothness probably has something to do with it. I know the angle on the main I's not ideal, but the jib sheets should be smooth. I was kinda thinking age of the sheets might be an issue, but maybe it's seasonal techniques.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/07/2019 :  16:48:12  Show Profile
All the above is sound advice but Ken also mentioned the condition of the sheets adding to the overwrap. Try washing the sheets. I toss mine in a mesh bag and add them to the washing machine once a season. Gets all the salt and dirt out of them.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 01/08/2019 :  06:31:48  Show Profile
Good idea about washing. I will try that and keep an eye on being smooth. Thanks for the help.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 01/19/2019 :  22:56:43  Show Profile
Two wraps at most till you can't pull. Then add a third wrap to use winch pulling to side slightly up.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page