Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Definition of "Square Knot Sailor"??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scooter
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/10/2011 :  12:17:52  Show Profile
As far as I now understand it, a "Square-knot sailor" is one who has the following:

Equator
Dateline
Arctic Circle
Antarctic Circle
Circumnavigate the globe.

Does anybody else know of another definition/qualification?

Any old Squids out there?

Scooter
C25 '89 SR/WK #5878 "Square Knot"
Vandemere NC.

Edited by - on

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  14:13:16  Show Profile
Found this:

A mariner who has crossed the equator, the international date line, the artic Circle and the Antarctic Circle, and has completed a circumnavigation of the globe. Sailors indicate this distinction with a tatoo of a square knot.

The Dictionary of Nautical Literacy by Robert McKenna

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  15:42:24  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I seem to remember Ashley talking about this in his book of knots, I'll look this evening.

I (sort of) have three out of five, but only one (crossing the Arctic Circle to become a Blue Nose) was actually on board ship. Not even sure if the other two (equator & date line) count if they were by air, probably not. And I'd never crossed the equator until last month when we flew from Singapore to Bali & back. I've crossed the date line probably 20+ times since I was a little kid, but all by air. My older brothers & sister as well as my parents are all members of the Royal Order of the Golden Dragon (crossing the international date line) when they traveled to Japan by ship when my dad was stationed there in the late '50's. I've also been on the "Safari to the Suez", twice, and "Order of the Rock" (Gibraltor) eight times I think.

A bit of reading about all these on [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony"]Wikipedia[/url].

Fun topic!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  20:59:59  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Crossed the equator several times, even have a scroll to prove it my hearty's

Only grazed the Pacific (Eastern Austraila), Crossed the Suez off my list years ago.

Despite 25 years in The Navy (sorry guys, there's only one 'The Navy' ) I have only crossed the Atlantic four time aboard ships.

Did learn one rule during those years.... if you are there, visit! Rarely defy that one, although we did when recently we cruised to Mexico and did not go ashore for the obligatory 4 hour walkabout.

Visited the Rock several times but never crossed the border.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  22:29:41  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Visited the Rock several times but never crossed the border.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I've transitted the Straits of Gibraltor 8x, but never seen the rock. It was either at night, foggy, or I was on watch.

I never knew you were in the USN…. The only "The Navy" I've ever known…

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 01/10/2011 :  22:42:21  Show Profile
Well I'm a pollywog. Cross the dateline twice on the USS Kitty Hawk. Never crossed the equator so I'm not a shellback. I am a member of the Tonkin Gulf Yatch Club.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 01/11/2011 :  08:22:45  Show Profile
I'm both a Blue Nose and a Shellback.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page