Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Toms River Marinas and Small Engine Mechanics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JimGo
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/02/2011 :  21:03:48  Show Profile
Does anyone have a recommendation for a marina in the Toms River, NJ area for winter storage? I looked at three today, Lighthouse Point, Dillons Creek, and one whose name I forget (Cedar Cove?). Dillons Creek was beautiful, and very sailboat friendly, with some 33's and 35's, and down to 22's. The rates seemed a little high, but not insanely so ($30/ft to haul, power wash, and launch in the spring). They said it was OK to work on the boat while in the yard, too.

Lighthouse Point had some amazing boats - massive catamarans, monohulls, and power boats that had close to the square footage of my first house. The office was closed, so I couldn't get rates there, but I'm going to guess that it is higher than Dillons Creek. I need to call them in the morning.

The other one, Cedar Cove, looked more like a "no frills" boat yard, and in some ways that's more my speed. The woman who handles scheduling the winter storage wasn't there today, so I'll call and get info tomorrow.

I also drove past Sunset Cove, but that didn't strike me as a sailboat marina. And I tried to visit Ocean Beach marina, but the parking there was horrible (they were having an in-water power boat show), so I gave up.

Did I miss any, especially someone's favorite? I'd prefer a place that will let me do the bottom painting myself, and won't throw a fit if I clean the teak, etc., too.

And, while I'm at it, are there any good Honda outboard mechanics in that area?

- Jim
Formerly of 1984 C25 named Dragon Wing

NOTE: In my case, PLEASE don't confuse stars/number of posts with actual knowledge. On any topic.

Edited by - JimGo on 10/02/2011 21:04:57

pfduffy
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
317 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2011 :  05:26:08  Show Profile
Jim - I keep my boat at Laurel Harbor marina - it is south of Toms River by a few miles. Rate to haul, power wash and launch is the same as you were quoted. I have done the bottom of my boat in that yard. I also have a Honda outboard that I have had serviced at Monarch Marine in Delran, NJ. I thought they were a little expensive, but pretty competent. I recommend, however, that you learn to perform as much service as you can on your motor. They are reasonably simple and doing things like oil changes, spark plugs, carburetor adjustments, impeller replacement will save you lots of money (which you will spend anyway on other things for the boat) and give you some confidence in what to look for when you do run into problems.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2011 :  09:01:18  Show Profile
Thanks for the feedback, Pat! I plan on learning the basic engine maintenance stuff. I agree, it's good to know from a safety standpoint, as well as the cheapskate standpoint (my words, not yours). But for this first time, I'd like the engine to be "more properly" tuned up. I know it can be tempermental when starting, and there is a definite "sweet spot" for the choke.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2011 :  12:52:10  Show Profile
The other marina was Cedar Cove. They can't take me (too full already), but they charge $35/foot. Lighthouse Point, which is a "nicer" marina, "only" charged $32/foot! Hmmm...looks like Dillon's Creek may be the winner after all! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to store her. I think Dillon's Creek won't let me sore the boat with the mast up. That should be an "interesting" adventure, since I don't think the boat is set up for easy stepping/lowering of the mast! :) I've been reading up on the process, and will be making a nice, strong pole!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2011 :  17:25:57  Show Profile
Make an A-Frame for about $25 and get a couple of friends to help. I was scared to death the first time I dropped my mast. It was for no reason. I read up on all the steps and did it by myself (not recommended but doable). The actual process of dropping the mast took no more than 1, maybe 2 minutes tops. That was with about a 10 knot crosswind and in the slip.

This summer I had help and it was much easier. Especially going back up. Thanks to Kentwm!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2011 :  18:05:01  Show Profile
I was thinking about the A-frame, but don't I need an additional pulley/block?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2011 :  19:47:07  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimGo</i>
<br />I was thinking about the A-frame, but don't I need an additional pulley/block?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
If you have a furler you might. Do you have a furler? What brand is it?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/03/2011 :  19:57:15  Show Profile
I do have a furler. I think it's a Bluewater Marine "Jibfurl". It seemed to work well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2011 :  07:34:21  Show Profile
I passed on your questions to a friend on Sailnet. Here's what he said about marinas near Toms River:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey Rick,
I'd have recommended Dillon's Creek. Nice place, seem to be good people running it. And where they store the boats in the parking lot you're protected from the winter wind howling in off the bay. That makes working on the boat a lot more pleasant. The only downside is that it's a bit of a ride to the nearest marine supply in Brick (West Marine).

If he knows where he wants to slip the boat next year there are a few places that are running winter storage/summer slip packages. At our marina (Southwinds on Forked River) winter storage is free if you pay for next year's slip. Depending on where he lives it might be worth calling around the middle bay and Forked River for package deals.

My only experience with outboard mechanics was at Kings Marine outboard in Washington Township. I took my Merc there for warranty work and was very pleased with the service.

Hope that helps,
Jim <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2011 :  08:20:40  Show Profile
Rick,
Thanks for sending that over! We've basically decided on Dillons Creek for many of the same reasons (in fact, we HAVE decided on them, unless a trailer magically falls into my driveway in the next day or two). I used to live fairly close to Kings Marine.

How do you like being in Essington? You're at Anchorage, right? We're thinking we want to keep the boat in Ocean City next season, but the Delaware is another option we're considering since Essington is just a little closer to Lansdale than Ocean City.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2011 :  17:32:17  Show Profile
Jim,

I use an A-frame and the mainsheet tackle so I I don't need anything extra. My A-frame is two 2x4x10' hinged together at the top with a loosely passed 6" or 8"x5/16 bolt just below the hinge and a carabiner on the bolt. I drilled 1/4" holes near the bottom o each 2x4; I pass a short 1/4" line through the hole and the forward chainplate and tie it off with a large enough loop that the foot rests 1" - 2" behind the chainplate. I attach the mainsheet tackle to the stemhead and the carabiner, then the jib halyard to the carabiner, snug up the halyard and tie it off to the cleat on the mast. Then I disconnect the forestay and suspend the foil from the carabiner to keep the weight centered and lower away. Actually, the mast needs a heave to start it down. Definitely have two or three people the first time you lower. One person can hold the upper shrouds to keep the mast centered. If the met swings left, a <u>little</u> pressure on the right shroud will straighten it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 10/06/2011 :  20:18:49  Show Profile
Thanks for the advice on lines. I will definitely check that out.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimGo</i>
<br />...How do you like being in Essington? You're at Anchorage, right? We're thinking we want to keep the boat in Ocean City next season, but the Delaware is another option we're considering since Essington is just a little closer to Lansdale than Ocean City.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
The Delaware River "gets no respect" but it's very close, it's deep, and it's still sailing. You need to plan around the tidal currents, because tacking against the current is an exercise in frustration. But running or broad reach against the current is tolerable, and tacking with the current makes you really feel like a pro. Since a daysailor never really goes anywhere, we simply choose to go upriver or downriver, depending on when and which way the currents are changing. Docking in the currents is a real challenge, but I've got it mastered, though with some very unorthodox techniques. Put it this way: I log more motor minutes in reverse than in forward. You can search some threads for more details.

Since I'm fortunate enough to still work full time, and have family responsibilities on the weekends, I simply can't take whole days to go sailing. We go for 3-4 hours at a time, and having the boat 12 minutes away enables us to go out on impulse when the weather looks nice. If we go to the boat and there's no breeze, or the weather looks threatening, we go home and we've wasted 25 minutes instead of 4 hours.

Having a boat at the shore would be really cool. I don't know much about sailing through Great Egg Harbor Inlet. I know that a lot of those inlets have treacherous currents and moving sand bars that require local knowledge. And from the chart it looks like you'd have to go into the ocean - Egg Harbor Bay looks too small and shallow. Barnegat Bay seems like a really cool place to sail if you've got low enough draft. You've got the shore breeze almost all the time, though pretty stiff chop and lots of boat traffic and wakes to contend with. But pay your slip fees and you've got "a place at the shore!"

I am currently at Anchorage Marina - good docks, lowest prices, deep water, but a little impersonal. There are some other marinas that are a little friendlier with little party pavilions that provide a sense of community (Fox's Grove, Golden Point), and a couple boat clubs (West End, Riverside, Corinthian Yacht Club). I'm a member at West End and store on the hard there. Winter storage prices are VERY reasonable ($12/ft for members), but you need to buy your own boat stands or provide a trailer (good luck with that one!). I may consider renting a slip there when they complete their $500,000 dredging project. However, they seem to me to have relatively little protection from the several mile westward fetch toward the Commodore Barry Bridge. Anchorage is the most eastern of the marinas, and the other marinas' docks to the west seem to knock down the chop quite a bit. But that also means that Anchorage is closest to the airport. They all suffer from airplane noise, but Anchorage is the noisiest. All of these things are tradeoffs. However, we don't hang out at the dock - we go sail, and go home - so the airplane noise is an acceptable tradeoff for the protection, deep water, and lower fees for slip and electric.

Since you live in Lansdale, if you get a trailer you might consider Lake Wallenpaupack 2 hours to the north. It seems like a really cool place to spend the night on a boat. Technically it's not allowed, but I hear that people do it routinely (in slips, not anchored). No shore power anywhere, so you'd need a good solar panel. Ironwood Point would be a neat place to rent a slip, with good showers and bath facilities.

Edited by - TakeFive on 10/06/2011 20:52:03
Go to Top of Page

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 10/07/2011 :  20:13:42  Show Profile
Rick, Thanks for the info on Anchorage! It's a really tough decision whether to keep her closer to home at a marina like Anchorage, or to keep her near the shore.

We moved her today to Dillons Creek - what a nice marina! Great location, great people, and impressive facility, at least compared to what I'm used to. In fact, it was so nice, my wife was actually changing her tune a little. She was asking me how we could configure the cabin so all four of us could easily sleep on the boat, which I took to be a FANTASTIC sign! If only the marina, and the sailing, were closer to Ocean City and Avalon. That's a personal preference issue, though. So far, I am very pleased.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page