Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What have you fixed/upgraded today?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2015 :  17:39:34  Show Profile
Yup got all new seizing wire from CD. Thank you though!

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  11:58:45  Show Profile
Haha and yea I think we've been good caretakers of the boat. Really taken it to a great condition and functioning boat.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  19:35:39  Show Profile
Scott,
You're right - I measured up an 8 foot 2x4 and it was about 9" short. I've got a 10 footer that I can mate up with another. Yes, gotta round the ends to make sure it doesn't get hung up. Your gizmo fit the bill more than adequately.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/20/2015 :  17:59:49  Show Profile
Alright, rudder is ready for the season. 4 coats of epoxy primer and 4 coats of bottom paint. Should leave plenty for me to sponge clean during the season as I frequently do. I brought everything higher than the true waterline to leave overlap and allow me to easily remove the rest of the crap above the waterline after this season. Just need my new spreader which should be here Thursday and then raise the mast up. Hopefully Steve is able to come give me a hand with final tuning the rig sometime!

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2015 :  08:41:07  Show Profile
There has been many different solutions here on making a 2 spring motor mount work with the newer and heaver 4 stroke motors none that really thrilled me so I came across a used Fulton mount for cheep on CL. I was only interested in the springs to add to my 2 springer mount.
Donor Mount
I cut one of the coils off the donor springs leaving me with enough material to be able to form a hook that hooks onto the tube. This left me with 2 usable springs. The original 3/8" hinge bolts are not long enough to mount the new spring on so they are replaced with SS threaded rod cut longer to form a stud for the new spring. A peice of 7/8 tubing cut to size makes a bushing that slides over 2 nuts for the spring to ride on. I also added a 3/8" fender washer and nut on the outside to keep the spring captive. Results are that it works like a dream. My 9.9 Honda now goes up and down with minimal effort!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

jaydon
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
156 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2015 :  11:25:34  Show Profile
I'll have a go at this.
We bought the boat in Jan. Long story.
Port settee cushion was missing so we decided to just make all for in the salon. Seats done, backs should be ready next week.
Hull valves were stuck, they are free now.
Water tank fill was not hooked up. A freind said it probably leaks. Got it hooked up and put some water in the tank. No leaks and the pump works! Pressure water to both sinks. Pump is noisy, though.
Tiller refinished.
Bottom sanded and painted.
Topsides cleaned and waxed. (what a diff.)
New lines coming in; main sheet replaced. Traveller vang and jib next.
New starting battery in. Got to get rid of that huge CAT battery. Then get a deep cycle.
Got a '97 Yammy 9.9 high thrust. Elec start.
Used that Pledge wood refinsher/cleaner. All the wood looks 100% better.
Got a new pump for head. Was going to do it today; but forgot a big phillips.
Took the carpet out and cleaned it 3 times. Not perfect; but will do for this season.
Took bags and bags of trash out at the start. The PO should have been on that TV show. LOL
Probably doesn't sound like much; but with all the snow and cold this winter, it was a lot.
Jay

Jay
South County RI
Cat 25 SR/FK/Trad
Wind Dancer
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2015 :  19:47:09  Show Profile
Got out for another nice sail today. Gorgeous weather, clocked 6.3 knots boat speed which is nice. Of course as we're coming in during sunset Checking the nav lights the only one I haven't replaced wasn't working, the bow red and green. Was working recently but oh well. Tried replacing the bulb and fiddling at the panel to no avail. The break is somewhere along the wire and I'm thinking in the pulpit. Going to pick up a new fixture and some marine wire and see if I can find the break. Just another day, loving spring though!

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/28/2015 :  20:59:00  Show Profile
Rob, word to the wise...
Before you start messing with wires in the bow pulpit, look underneath the port edge inside the anchor locker. The cable is fished through there from the Vee berth and all it takes is one good yank from the anchor to tear the red/green nav light wires loose. Took me several hours of guessing before I found the bad connection in that circuit. If the section in the anchor locker looks good, then check the splice for power and ground in the Vee berth (should be a couple of crimp connectors in there). If you have juice there, then look at the fixture and its connections inside the housing. And only as a last resort would I start pulling wires out of the pulpit.
If you have no choice, use the existing bad cable as the messenger wire with which to pull the new cable through the pulpit tubing. At least they'd serve a last good purpose...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  04:42:50  Show Profile
All I know is that the bow pulpit is staying right where it is lol. Im going to investigate more tonight to trace the problem but either way if it needs new wire it will be going externally.

Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  16:58:55  Show Profile
Bruce,

Thanks a bunch! I respliced the bad connection in the anchor locker with a watertight butt connector and also installed a new Aqua series fixture because it was shoddy. Working great now. Also finished wiring the new alternator on the outboard to the boat and its charging great!

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/29/2015 :  20:08:21  Show Profile
Good news on both fronts!!!

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Members Avatar

460 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2015 :  16:36:18  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Guys,

Thank you for all the updates, but this post has over 250 replies and is about 1-year old.

The server is taking a hit, just to load the pages and images.
Please start another post, so the server doesn't crash.

Web Editor
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page