Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What have you fixed/upgraded today?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 06/27/2014 :  06:39:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Panza

Looks like you got a lot of camber, even with the full battens. How easily does it raise and lower? Is there only one slug between battens? How neatly does it fall when you drop it? I'd be interested in hearing how it handles when you get a brisk breeze. Thanks; and ENJOY!

I think the appearance of the camber is a little misleading. I was on a broad reach, and the wife was leaned way back under the rail to get as much sail in the photo as possible. Upwind it was a thing of beauty. Raising and lowering was no problem, although it was very tight going over the mast gates. I figure that will "wear in" over time. I'm now seriously considering lazy jacks to help when I'm dropping the sail. I'll have to check and see on how many slugs are on it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/28/2014 :  12:02:50  Show Profile
OK so the Admiral finally got tired of the push-pit upright digging into her back when she would lean back. She tried cushions but was afraid of loosing one overboard so yesterday as you can see by the water conditions we were on a break so she goes into the cabin and comes out with one of the over sized noodles and a steak knife. Proceeds to cut it to length then cut it from top to bottom and popped it on to the upright. She made one for the other side to. Took her all of five minutes and I will admit they are comfy to lean on and at the end of the day just peel them off and toss them into the cabin for the next time. Now if she can come up with an idea for the top corner of the coaming....

Edited by - islander on 06/28/2014 12:06:24
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  05:45:00  Show Profile
Scott,

That's a great idea. Sailed a total of 24 nautical miles this weekend and the whole time I was trying to think of ideas to make that corner more comfortable. That noodle should work great there but like you said, its the corner rail that gets me. When the boat is in a good groove I like to sit back on starboard bench with my feet up, the tiller extension in one hand and something to sip in the other. Definitely gonna work on something like a pad for the back that is removable for access to the motor when needed.

But yea cruised for the weekend and camped out on David (Camp David?). Brilliant weather on a brilliant boat! Tried out the Navionics chart app yesterday which was amazing. 9kt s/se wind. 13.4NM in 4HRs(forgot to stop the track when we got into port and buttoned the boat up, hence the 4h20m time). So about a 3.4kt average with a 5kt top speed. Not sure if the app can account for tides or if that speed is over ground, because we were fighting the current the whole time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  15:52:59  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
I pressure washed my boat this weekend and replaced the boom vang line. The old line was just tied to the block, so I spliced the replacement. I think it looks better, although I should have gone with the white twine.

I ordered enough line replace all my running rigging so as soon as my new sail arrives I'll start in on the rest of the work.

[url="https://justinkonecny.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/wp_20140628_003.jpg"][/url]

[url="http://justinkonecny.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/wp_20140628_005.jpg"][/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Deltarat
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2014 :  15:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Deltarat's Homepage
Wow! That looks great, I need to learn how to splice my lines.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/02/2014 :  19:08:52  Show Profile
Rigged Spinnaker and Sock

Finally got the assym out of the bag a figured out all of the rigging associated as well as the dousing sock. The air is dead tonight, probably the calm before Arthur so it was the perfect time to get it rigged. The Spin and sock are literally never used (one of many amazing inclusions that came with the purchase of this fine vessel). Looking forward to using it and finding out the angles it works well at.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/03/2014 :  13:43:20  Show Profile
Spins are fun!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2014 :  16:39:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dlucier

Spins are fun!

Nice. Your sail looks similar to mine in shape/ function. Better in a deep reach or ddw?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2014 :  17:15:59  Show Profile
I taped a new water line on the boat today and prepped for a lot of sanding starting tomorrow. That and I picked up a new used boat motor. Finally replacing the one I set on fire last year.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/05/2014 :  19:40:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

Your sail looks similar to mine in shape/ function. Better in a deep reach or ddw?

Being that my spin is an asymmetrical, ddw is not an option unless I drop the main. It's best on a beam/broad reach.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  18:49:13  Show Profile
Did final rigging prep along with some testing/jibeing with my setup in anticipation tomorrow. Everything worked great except the sock kind of just stayed on the side it was hoisted. When I would jibe it around the forestay the sock would stay and the top portion of the spin would stay twisted up there. I'm thinking it was because I was just doing it in the slip, basically with the wind close hauled and I would just walk the sail around the front. Any similar experiences? Or should a good reach solve that problem?

Also, this sail is quite a strange shape. Any one have an idea of what this guy is called?made by US Sails.Prolly an old design. Came with the boat and it seems like it was never used. I almost would say its a Sym but the tack has a bronze piston hank just above it to attach to the forestay.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 07/11/2014 :  19:48:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidBuoy

Also, this sail is quite a strange shape...I almost would say its a Sym but the tack has a bronze piston hank just above it to attach to the forestay.

Maybe its a drifter??? Is the luff relatively straight?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/12/2014 :  05:02:15  Show Profile
It seems a bit straight. Doesn't have much of a ballon shape. Pretty shallow up top

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

justinkonecny
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 07/18/2014 :  12:18:27  Show Profile  Visit justinkonecny's Homepage
I put a brand new main sail on my boat on Tuesday! However, they made it with the incorrect slides, and I have not been able to get a hold of *** in three days of trying. Super fun!

As a stop-gap I ordered some plastic slug slides and shackles from CatalinaDirect. I'll put those through the grommet and still be able to take my sailing trip next weekend.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  05:28:27  Show Profile
I never liked the sewn on slugs. With the SS shackles you can change a broken slug in 2 min on the fly and all of them easily when they get worn and don't slide as well anymore. I think you will like them better. If I ever order a new mainsail, SS shackles will be on the must have list.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jhorner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  05:50:59  Show Profile
How is this working out for you? Is this sitting inside the boat? I don't want to have to pull the boat and do a thru-hull.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jhorner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
26 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  05:51:43  Show Profile
Rats. Reply to wrong post.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Kennyge
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
76 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  06:38:10  Show Profile
I added 7 feet to my C-25

As much as I love my 25 it was time to move up as we have really gotten into Cruising. The 25 is great for a weekend but anything longer, the Admiral starts complaining. "I need a shower" is the #1 complaint.

Here is my new "home away from home" a C 320:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/Catalina-320-2612765/Forked-River/NJ/United-States#.U8pa7fldXw_
We did some wheeling and dealing and I got a good price and we pick her up next week.

I think I have a buyer for my c25 already but if you know someone interested, let me know.

Edited by - Kennyge on 07/19/2014 06:57:53
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  07:16:25  Show Profile
She's a beaut Kenny!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  08:39:30  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
One of my favorite Catalina's, the others are the late 90's C34 and C36.

She looks a really nice boat Kenny, keep us in the loop.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TCurran
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
588 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  09:08:21  Show Profile
Nice boat Kenny...I added a new DSC VHF with internal GPS antenna and a remote mic for the cockpit.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  10:38:17  Show Profile
One of my coworkers recently purchased a 320. Really pretty boats!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  11:32:15  Show Profile
After breaking my leg in April I finally hoisted my new main yesterday. My wind gauge showed 15mph, after this photo I hauled the clew out a bit. FWIW I think it is fun that a sailmaker will put whatever you want on a sail so I have my club Ninnescah Yacht Club as a name and the year I joined as the sail number.
I do not know why the album added the white space on both sides.

Edited by - pastmember on 07/19/2014 13:10:00
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  16:03:15  Show Profile
Knot-meter magically fixed itself!!! Who ho!! I love having it functional.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 07/19/2014 :  18:52:32  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Replaced Trailer winch with a new, identical except the new one works

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page