Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What have you fixed/upgraded today?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2014 :  06:08:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by redeye

That is interesting to see how they wire the catalinas on the build out. Everyone seems a little different. You apparently have two sets of jumpers on the dc, which is a good way to split up a circuit.

Im still tracing most of the wires on the boat but that might be what I believe is wiring from either a previous electric start motor or one with an alternator, because it currently has neither but has a large gauge cable out the back near the motor with terminals.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2014 :  21:08:08  Show Profile
Finished rewiring most of the boat including the addition of a super sub 1100 and auto switch. Used the existing plumbing from the manual pump. Figured it's better to have one working pump then none. I'll revise the plumbing when I finally fix the manual pump. Another project another day.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  05:00:57  Show Profile
<< Finished rewiring most of the boat including the addition of a super sub 1100 and auto switch. >>

Wow!! I can see why you don't have many pictures of the projects.... They are already done!! Way to go Dave, you are an inspiration.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  06:17:10  Show Profile
quote:

<< Finished rewiring most of the boat including the addition of a super sub 1100 and auto switch. >>

Wow!! I can see why you don't have many pictures of the projects.... They are already done!! Way to go Dave, you are an inspiration.

I only managed two pictures before I dropped my iPhone into the bilge with an inch of pink stuff. Phone slid deep into it where I couldn't reach and I needed a wrench. Turned it off immediately and left it infront of the heater for the next 5 hours and it works fine! Bruised myself up pretty bad but I'll live. Also, got these floaties from BoatUS as a gift to the admiral and myself..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  06:36:34  Show Profile
Very nice floaties! That is great work you are doing, and at great speed.. Good to get so much done before the real cold sets in.

Funny.. I "hafta" go to an Alabama game with family this weekend..

I rather be working on my boat!!!!

Edited by - redeye on 11/21/2014 06:38:59
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  06:42:27  Show Profile
quote:

Very nice floaties! That is great work you are doing, and at great speed.. Good to get so much done before the real cold sets in.

Thanks. I only wish I got the cabin top winch and rope clutches installed earlier before the cold. Need 50+ degrees for that epoxy to harden. I am pretty happy with the progress I am making on the boat though. Checking things off the list and moving on instead of having them stall. Might be able to sneak in some stuff I wasn't planning to. Stereo install??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  07:04:17  Show Profile
<< Need 50+ degrees for that epoxy to harden. >>

Yepper.. I've always been amazed at how much work they could get done in New England at the boatyards with such cold.

In winter I always have an image in my mind of a Kayak manufacturing building in Yarmouth, Maine with the employees coffee cups next to a wood stove.

Talk about getting it done... New England folks are always an inspiration.

In Atlanta they stop workin below 40...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/21/2014 :  09:55:42  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I'll probably start work on projects in january. shrink wrap over a frame, with a heater on the inside !

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2014 :  10:18:03  Show Profile
Gorgeous day out so decided to go for it and mounted the cabin top winch and rope clutches. Going to final tighten tomorrow and take him out for some fair weather sailing! No photos this time cause my phone is not taking photos after the bilge incident.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  06:12:00  Show Profile
quote:
Nice, similar to mine. Except I built a box around it to keep water away. I will say though, depending on if you have a speed regulator on the fan it will most likely surpass the air changes possible on the boat and stress the fan. Mine draws through the 5 or so slots on the original hatchboard and pushes forward to a 3 1/2" vent and with it on anything more then 1/4 speed it pressurizes (not much), but if you slide the companionway open a bit you can hear the fan give a big gasp of relief. That really is why mine is on a timer, I try to let it pump a big amount during 4 hours of the warmest point of the day then shut off. If you are running constantly at a low speed it should have the same effect.

I got the idea from yours. Thanks. Because I have the inboard and I place the key on the engine intake seacock when closing I leave the engine compartment open and I think the air vents out the engine compartment vents. I haven't noticed any change in the fan when opening the hatch. I will pay close attention today when I open the hatch. I think I will start using a timer to only run in the day time. I also hang the air dryers in the boat to absorb moisture. They last about a week.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  12:23:23  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
now I feel stupid I just got the joke in your boat's name! How long have I seen it?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  15:07:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

now I feel stupid I just got the joke in your boat's name! How long have I seen it?

Haha, you didn't draw that cartoon did you??
We got a nice sail in today. Great weather and enough breeze to move swiftly!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  15:16:51  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage

Haha, you didn't draw that cartoon did you??
We got a nice sail in today. Great weather and enough breeze to move swiftly!
[/quote]

nope i was googling "david buoy" I saw this and a lightbulb popped on in my head!

I will be sailing monday. I worked all weekend so I have hours to take off tomorrow

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  17:38:53  Show Profile
Gotcha.
I did manage 1 blurry photo of the new setup. Both sides match and still need the mast plate. Just the jib halyard on there. Also have a down haul rigged so flaking the Jib is a breeze. Head up or tack across and release the halyard while going through irons and pull in the downhaul to keep it in place on the foredeck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ftworthsailor
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
279 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  17:48:31  Show Profile  Visit ftworthsailor's Homepage
Today, I installed a nice stainless steel extended ladder on the back of my boat. It took me about an hour to do but only because I purchased very long stainless bolts to go through the transom. Andy, one of the other Sailors (of a Cat-25) handed me a 7/16 ratcheting wrench. THAT made such a big difference in getting those teflon lock nuts onto those screws..... I am definitely getting a set of those from Northern Tool, tomorrow!!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 11/23/2014 :  19:29:33  Show Profile
Ah the old gutted galley... been there

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 11/24/2014 :  01:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
Frank the Ripper

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2014 :  19:51:18  Show Profile
Looks like I started a new project today! Winds were a little stronger than expected. One of my shrouds broke (the bolt broke that goes through the deck), and my outboard fell in the water while running. Really long story, really big job ahead.

Already pickled motor with Marvel Mystery Oil and I'm gonna clean the carb tomorrow and maybe try to start her back up.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2014 :  05:53:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigbeartr57

Looks like I started a new project today! Winds were a little stronger than expected. One of my shrouds broke (the bolt broke that goes through the deck), and my outboard fell in the water while running. Really long story, really big job ahead.

Already pickled motor with Marvel Mystery Oil and I'm gonna clean the carb tomorrow and maybe try to start her back up.

Oh boy. This all happened on one outing? That is an unfortunate series of events, sorry sir. How did you get back to port without a motor and a damaged shroud?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2014 :  19:31:40  Show Profile
Pulled off the rudder and outboard because the tide was so low the rudder was almost stuck in the mud. Did an Oil change, gear oil change and spark plug. Going to do a water pump impeller, elephant ear prop, alternator kit and rebuild the carb soon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2014 :  19:57:44  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
Ha I googled the same thing.. got this...

Edited by - shnool on 12/08/2014 19:58:02
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/08/2014 :  20:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Red...right...returning

(I guess?)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2014 :  08:28:36  Show Profile
Roy Where did you get the ladder and what was the brand. I've been thinking about changing my ladder for sometime.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 12/11/2014 :  21:45:44  Show Profile
Well this 1981 Catalina is getting some electronics. Earlier we upgraded all the interior lights to LED, now need sunglasses but no power draw (well very little). Stereo with two speakers. I replaced the radio in my boat with one that is AIS capable so we installed my old VHF in the C-25 complete with remote microphone for use in the cockpit. I found an older but never installed Navico TP-10 tiller pilot at the local marine consignment store for $200 and we installed that. Went to West Marine and asked to see their least expensive chartplotter and bought a Lowrance HDI 5 elite with a 5" screen, built in GPS, and charts for the US and Canada on sale for $300. Now to augment the AH in the one gp27 battery we ordered a battery charging kit, $97, for the 9.9hp 2 stroke. We contemplate adding another 105AH battery but will wait to see how everything works with the new battery charging kit. Oh, and I can buy the plastic battery boxes at the consignment store for $4 each. Cool. And the really good part, all of it works. Well, have to wait on the battery charging kit, due here 12/17/14.

Cheers all and Merry Christmas

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 12/17/2014 :  07:25:08  Show Profile
I finally got the new pressure water system installed. Photo is of the galley location.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page