Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Ice box drain
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sweetcraft
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/29/2014 :  21:34:05  Show Profile
Got tired with icebox drain so did this. Insulated the box by combining ridgid foam with silicone glue and drilled holes from the top after removing counter for using spray foam with a straw. Did between box and hull best as hard to get access. Bought storage box, Walmart, with snap top to fit on bottom of hull, lowest place, installed bildge pump with float switch on platform on bottom of storage box. Used pump switch with fuse, rocker switcch for auto, manual and off. Light goes on when pump turns on. Kept wondering why boat had galley ice box with no insullation. This system has worked for me for sometime.

Edited by - on

blanik
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
210 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  11:01:45  Show Profile
i just epoxied the hole, removed the hose and tee and i freeze drinkable water bottles, last for 3-4 days! :-D

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2014 :  09:49:00  Show Profile
With ice-chilled coolers, the frozen water-bottle trick is great, but if I can only get a bag of ice from the marina, I carry a tupper-ware container that will accommodate most of the ice. I fill it and place it ON TOP of my packaged foods (meats, cheese, milk, eggs, fruit, veggies) that I fill from the bottom up. The tupperware holds the melt-water and prevents it from flooding the cooler. The ice, being on top with the food underneath, produces cold air that drops into the area with the food, and it keeps longer.
I've noticed that putting the ice on the bottom does nothing to cool the food on top which readily spoils in a day or two.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  18:24:36  Show Profile
Trader joes has a soft cooler that's fits great inside of ice box. And amazingly doesn't leak. Only a little condensation some times. Like seven bucks. And when you are ready to leave the boat, all you have to do is pick it up. So you could actually block off the drain.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  19:43:22  Show Profile
I stored dry goods in mine and used the refrigerator I installed in the v-berth.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

blanik
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
210 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2014 :  19:59:53  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip Bruce! ;-)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2014 :  10:42:36  Show Profile
We simply replaced the tubing - it had gotten clogged after 30 years - from the basin and the cooler to the thru-hull, when I replaced the thru-hull fitting. Made some simple screen strainers and both the basin and cooler drain fine. Just check the strainers for debris when prepping for winter storage.

We did also add styrofoam insulation, to as much of the cooler as accessable, and it improved things. I agree, it is odd the cooler had no insulation.

Edited by - jerlim on 08/06/2014 10:54:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page