Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Non-Navigation Apps
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/21/2014 :  17:09:22  Show Profile
I have a fair number of Navigation and Charting apps on my mobile device. I also have wind forecasts, weather forecasting, buoy readings, tidal prediction, port descriptions and a to-do listing app for my iOS.
What non-Nav boating applications do you have and regularly use?

Edited by - Voyager on 12/21/2014 19:28:01

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  23:28:01  Show Profile
My best is Metaltoolbox, paid version, it combines level, ruler, protractor and a couple of less useful items. 1Password for secure password management and MyScriptCalculator, hand writing input for basic to some algebraic functions, best on a tablet. I'm on IOS.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  04:01:19  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Plenty of apps but I concentrate on Apps related to sailing and practically everything has a Navigation aspect.

Sailing related:
Active Captain, Tide App, SailFlow, Google Sky Map, Marine Traffic, AB Compass Bearing

Non-Sailing related:
Instant Heart Rate, Life 360, Magnify, QuickMark, Tape a Talk, Total Connect 1 & 2,

Many more not listed because either everyone has them or because I'm too lazy to uninstall them.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  09:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">I used to have a good tide chart app but it seems to have gone away. Any tide charts?</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  09:58:32  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Tide App (android) works great.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2014 :  08:00:42  Show Profile
John,
I have something called TideApp on my iPhone and I created a bookmark for the NOAA's TidesAndCurrents website for a station near the marina. For the former, I have ten favorites across Long Island Sound. For the latter I enter the date and number of days and it produces a (more less) sine wave chart with tide heights, times and days. Nothing fancy but usable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2014 :  08:02:09  Show Profile
One of my favs for the boat is the PodCast app. I've downloaded dozens of music and talk shows. "Serial" seems to be hot now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 12/25/2014 :  00:23:51  Show Profile
I've found that Numbers (like MS Excel) and OneNote are handy for making to-do lists, checklists for pre-trip supplies and preps and logs of trips with pictures, sound recordings (Voice Overs) and videos.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 12/25/2014 :  10:19:09  Show Profile

One that I use is called "Boating List", app a pre-trip check list including planning, general, hull, deck, fittings, safety, below deck, electrical system and components, recommended equipment, head system, water system, galley, outboard, trailer, sails, mast and rigging, clothes, toiletries, electronics, documents, medication/first aid, cooking/food, fishing, before leaving, toolset,

We're up to 351 reminder and check list items. It has the capability by adding or deleting to fully personalize your list or make separate specific lists for any purpose, trip or cruise

Edited by - zeil on 12/25/2014 11:08:27
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 12/25/2014 :  18:20:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

I've found that Numbers (like MS Excel) and OneNote are handy for making to-do lists, checklists for pre-trip supplies and preps and logs of trips with pictures, sound recordings (Voice Overs) and videos.

I tried OneNote but ended up liking Evernote better (free version). It's great to be able to make to do lists, etc. on the computer or phone. I suggest trying both then picking the one you like best.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page