Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Rudder bushing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/31/2017 :  07:47:48  Show Profile
I am looking for a stainless steel bushing to fit the rudder for the bolt that attaches the tiller . It has 1/2" od and accommodates the 3/8" bolt .....

Catalina ran out of these and they dont use these anymore which doesnt make any sense to me because without a bushing the hole will auger out with use.

Any ideas?

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2017 :  12:03:22  Show Profile
Is the bolt threaded all the way or is it threaded on the end. If threaded all the way I agree it'll chew on the tiller. If only threaded part way, it's not quite as bad. Replace the bolt if fully threaded
You can also wrap the bolt with teflon tape or shrink wrap material.
This should protect the tiller somewhat.
If the hole is already damaged, you can usually find a metal sleeve at a hardware or auto parts store to go over the bolt. Finding a stainless sleeve would be a bit more challenging. West Marine or a boating hardware supplier would likely be a good source.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2017 :  15:57:39  Show Profile
quote:
a stainless steel bushing to fit the rudder

Bruce I think the bushing is inserted into the rudder, Not the tiller. It then protects the rudder from the bolt. I would try a hardware store or similar and I don't think it has to be stainless. Bronze or brass would work or even Nylon. I know my rudder on a C25 has one that looks like its brass. As Bruce said, A short piece of tubing would work also.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 08/02/2017 16:01:59
Go to Top of Page

vdotmatrix
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
139 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2017 :  16:28:21  Show Profile
Yes thank you both! Islander, that's exactly what it does. It is catalina part #91101. The tiller bolt is or should be a stainless lag bolt threaded at the end and I have a hex end so I can use a wrench; did this on our other 25 capri and c25. If it is a metal that is softer than the tiller bolt then one will wera the other down over time.....So, I have been to all the places locally and had to resort to one company MSCdirect but they are making me jump through these ridiculous hoops so they can give a formal quote for a lousy $5 part......All these easy fixes and suggestions are greatly appreciated but find the actual materials is a way different story. it has to be 1/2" OD and it has to be 3/8" ID and about 1 1/2" long....don't ask what that thickness is......anyway. without it the tiller wobbles in your hand like a motorcycle hand throttle....and I want to install this thing before it get worse... hey guys thanks for your help!! West marine here has nothing...i should make the drive to Annapolis...surely someone over there has a parts place...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page