Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Below the Waterline
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/21/2017 :  20:32:33  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I normally sail on a man made inland lake in Southern Illinois, where the visibility is very limited.

I made my annual migration up north. This year, I was back on Grand Traverse Bay in Michigan. The water is quite clear. So, I stuck my GoPro in and shot a video under my boat. Attached is a snapshot from that video. I thought it was kind of cool and decided to share.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2017 :  06:32:25  Show Profile
Cool shot! I recognize that aqua tint of Lake Michigan--unique among the Great Lakes.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2017 :  08:07:23  Show Profile
I envy the clean bottom of what I will guess is a trailered boat.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2017 :  20:12:30  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
quote:
I envy the clean bottom of what I will guess is a trailered boat

Yes, I operate out of a dry sail club on Carlyle Lake, Illinois. I launch and retrieve the boat every weekend. Mast is up, sails are on. I can be in the water and ready to go within 20 minutes of my arrival.

The boat typically never spends any longer than a week in the water.

I have trailered the boat to other venues for week long vacations.
  • 2015 we went to Kentucky Lake for a week and then Grand Traverse Bay, MI for a week.
  • 2016 to Door County, WI (Green Bay).
  • 2017 back to Grand Traverse Bay, MI and late September will launch in Alton, IL for a trip down the Mississippi River, up the Ohio and Cumberland Rivers and then pull out at Lake Barkley, KY and trailer back to Carlyle, IL.

I love the freedom a trailer offers.

'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  06:11:07  Show Profile
quote:
I have trailered the boat to other venues for week long vacations.
  • 2015 we went to Kentucky Lake for a week and then Grand Traverse Bay, MI for a week.

I love the freedom a trailer offers.

One of our previous Association members "traded in" his C25 for a C42 which he sails on Kentucky Lake. How much of that big lake did you explore?

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  16:24:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JohnP

[quote]One of our previous Association members "traded in" his C25 for a C42 which he sails on Kentucky Lake. How much of that big lake did you explore?

Does he even have room to turn it around on that lake?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  20:14:32  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
quote:

I guess you are just attempting a joke. But, seriously, Kentucky Lake is the largest man made lake in the eastern United States. It stretches for over 180 miles through Kentucky and into Tennessee. It is a major navigable body of water that connects in a multitude of directions. You want to go to Pittsburgh, PA? How about Chatanooga, TN or Knoxville or Mobile, AL? Or even into your own backyard in Maryland? You can get to all of these places from Kentucky Lake and never pull your boat out of the water.

quote:
How much of that big lake did you explore?

I did not do the lake justice. I spent a week there and had a nice time poking around in different coves, etc. and only ventured about 30 miles from my launch point.

I am just a few weeks from heading back to Kentucky Lake. September 23 I plan to trailer my boat to Alton, IL and launch in the Mississippi River. Over the course of a week, I will then travel approximately 215 miles south on the Mississippi River before heading East on the Ohio River for about 50 miles before turning off on the Cumberland River for another 30 more miles. At this point, I will be in Lake Barkley and just a few more miles puts me back in Kentucky Lake. I plan to complete the Great Loop in the not to distant future and this trip is step 1.

'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  21:00:17  Show Profile

Way to go Dave... would love to join you. We did part of the Great Loop from Lake Ontario to Georgian Bay through the the Trent Severn waterway

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2017 :  21:15:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DavidCrosby

quote:

I guess you are just attempting a joke. But, seriously, Kentucky Lake is the largest man made lake in the eastern United States. It stretches for over 180 miles through Kentucky and into Tennessee.

Yes, it was a joke. I have never been on that lake, but I've heard of it, and AFAIK it's less than 2 miles wide at its widest point. I have no doubt that it is very long, but as one who sailed on 2 mile wide lakes and rivers for 25 years, a 42 foot boat would seem a bit much to be constantly tacking in such a narrow stream. Maybe there are lots of people there who want a large boat badly enough to put up with it. But as soon as I went up to my current C34MkII, I moved to more open waters.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  07:30:21  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

a 42 foot boat would seem a bit much to be constantly tacking in such a narrow stream.

in the Potomac, which is about three miles wide where i am, I'd have to tack 17 feet sooner with a 42 foot boat then my 25! . would not be as fun to singlehand however.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2017 :  07:39:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dasreboot

quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

a 42 foot boat would seem a bit much to be constantly tacking in such a narrow stream.

in the Potomac, which is about three miles wide where i am, I'd have to tack 17 feet sooner with a 42 foot boat then my 25! . would not be as fun to singlehand however.

It's not about feet in length, it's about agility of a smaller boat that weighs about 1/5 that of the larger boat. Bigger sails, bigger winches, wider cockpit, etc. Bigger boats like to sail in longer, straight lines.

It's a huge difference when singlehanding, but still noticeable with crew. I guess a self-tacking jib could make this a lot easier, but most C42s don't have that.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page