Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Flying the Spinnaker
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/05/2017 :  14:17:42  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

While I have no spinnaker experience my boat did come with one as well as a spinnaker and whisker poles. Looking thru my various "how to" sailing books, it looks like the clew end of the Spinnaker pole is not attached to the sails clew but just to the sheet right where it attaches to the sails clew. Is this right ? If So, what is keeping the pole end from sliding down and away from the clew ? Also, about half way up the mast near the steaming light, I have what looks like a halyard exit block. is it a safe assumption that this is for the Spinnaker pole lift ? Thanks again guys. Good sailing all.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2017 :  15:08:20  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
The clew by the spinnaker pole is effectively the tack as it is windward.

I believe the solution to the pole sliding away from the tack is most easily solved by attaching a "twinger" to the "lazy" sheet which effectively turns it into a guy.

Run the twinger through a block far forward on the genoa track. The twinger is a small line with a flying block that rides on the spinnaker sheet. By positioning it forward and pulling the twinger in on the windward (lazy) sheet you create an angle in the sheet where it meets the spinnaker pole and the pole will want to stay forward.

If you are reaching pole forward, the pole will naturally not want to slide backward because the angle in the sheet will prohibit it.

So twingers and a foreguy are what I 'think' would work best.

An easier strategy, although may be a bit precarious would be to forego both twingers and a foreguy and instead rig a downhaul at the bow that attaches to the end of the spinnaker pole. If you already have a downhaul rigged at the bow for your headsail then you're all set. I don't care for the solution much because you have to adjust the downhaul and guy together, but it's simple to rig.

What is probably the best option but most obnoxious to rig is to run dedicated guy lines from each of the clews that run through blocks forward on the genoa track. Use the guy line on the windward(pole) side and the sheet on the leeward side. And of course add a foreguy.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/05/2017 :  16:29:07  Show Profile
The sheave that you described is almost certainly for the spinnaker pole topping lift.

If you'll google "singlehanded spinnaker" you'll find several helpful videos on the subject.

Both my boats and the spinnaker boats I have crewed on have a topping lift and a downhaul attached to the spinnaker pole. The topping lift holds it up, and the downhaul is attached to a point on the midline of the foredeck, and it not only holds the pole down, but it also enables you to adjust it fore and aft. When you're sailing as close to weather as possible with a spinnaker, the pole should be adjusted forward until it almost touches the forestay, but it should never actually touch any stay. When you're sailing deep downwind, the pole should be adjusted back until it almost touches the stays. Whenever you adjust the pole aft, you have to ease the downhaul at the same time.

When the pole is set and the downhaul is adjusted so that the pole can't move aft any further, then, when you pull on the guy, the clew of the sail is pulled up to the jaws of the spinnaker pole and it can't move in either direction until you re-adjust it.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/05/2017 16:31:03
Go to Top of Page

Heartbeat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
161 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2017 :  12:47:24  Show Profile
As mentioned above, adding a tweek can change the angle and tends to keep things ok.

I highly recommend against a two guys and two sheets system. I have crewed on boats with them and they are trouble. Your foredecker will have his hands full and adding two more lines to worry about is the opposite of KISS.

former Captain of Heartbeat
Catalina 25 Tall

Edited by - Heartbeat on 10/11/2017 12:56:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page