Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 How to Remove Battery?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Member Avatar

35 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/09/2017 :  12:47:24  Show Profile
Hello Sailors:

My battery seems like its fiber glassed in and un-serviceable? How do I get this out to replace it? There is not enough clearance above to lift it out

What replacement battery do you all recommend and how many amp hours?

My autopilot requires the most power so I am thinking i might need more power than whats on the boat. I see Wallmart has a 120 amp hour marine battery which is sealed

Thanks for your help!

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 11/09/2017 :  21:45:58  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
A pair of dykes on the zip ties would be a good place to start.
Then I would use white tape and mark every wire and where it goes.
Go slow and it should be OK.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

dvdfishel
1st Mate

Members Avatar

35 Posts

Response Posted - 11/17/2017 :  04:17:11  Show Profile
I ended up using a saws all to cut this battery box out since the battery could not be lifted out. It turns out this was an ill conceived retrofit and not the original arrangement which must surly allowed for batter removal and replacement.

David Fishel
#848 WB250 2005
<b></b>
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2017 :  12:45:15  Show Profile
Pretty sure the battery isn't replaceable in this model. We're suppose the throw the boat out and get a new one when the battery dies. Catalina got the idea from electronics manufacturers. Please recycle your boat responsibly.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2017 :  13:56:50  Show Profile
LOL, That's what I was thinking.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

C250DBYC
Deckhand

Members Avatar

Australia
4 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2018 :  01:37:37  Show Profile
I have C250WB hull number 1014 with the same problem. I cut down the inside of the port & starboard sides of the box to battery base level and horizontally between the vertical cuts. A couple of horizontal spring loaded hinges were then mounted on the cut out piece and the front of the base of the battery box. Glass in a strip of marine ply flush with the floor of the box and the front to fill the gap. the access panel in the rear of the bunk area can be used to slide out the battery. You may have to shift the battery strap guides to enable good securing. This works OK for me to remove and re-charge the battery. Please contact me if you like pix of the setup but it is currently our sailing season on Geographe Bay - Western Australia.
Best regards, Captain Jim Major - Master Mariner

JTM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page