Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Second reefing point?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bushav
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
20 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/10/2017 :  12:56:09  Show Profile
Yesterday I ran my first reefing line aft. It's working as designed. My question. It looks like the second reefing line has to be external to the boom. Do any of you guys have yours set up? Can you take a pic of the suggested setup for me?

I think I want to set up a cheek block on the boom and the proper pulleys to lead it aft on the port side. This will require a new turning block to replace the single block that is currently there. I will also need to replace the single lewmar clutch on the port side with a double.

Anyone else done this? We are coastal cruisers and rigging the second reefing line in a blow is probably not good planning for me.

Lane

Lane

Dave Brown
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
174 Posts

Response Posted - 11/13/2017 :  11:35:16  Show Profile
We all get caught off guard when the wind comes up, but mostly, one knows the weather forecast for the day. the old saying, "reef early, and reef often", is a good saying.
Now to your Q. I have seen all kinds of setup's. from the mast, to the deck, and to the back of the boom, every one has there own system.
As for my 250, the 2nd reef starts, from a dead end point, on the back of the boom, then up to the 2nd cringle {aka: the 2nd reef point clue }
back to a turning pulley, (at the back of the boom), then FWD to a turning point , on the boom, next to the goose neck, then up to the 2nd reef point, { AKA: the 2 reef tack} then down to _____________.
Note: this is where you fill in the blank, with, cam cleat on the mast, block on the deck, or where ever you wold like the line to end up.
sorry, the boats in the barn, {Nebraska}, so no photo. hope this helps, if not, there is a delete key.

_________________/)_________________/)________/))))_________

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page