Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Forward sink drain
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RichardG
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
990 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/20/2017 :  16:54:46  Show Profile
For those with a forward sink (mine has the hanging closet instead), where does it drain to?
This past year I quit sourcing saltwater from the forward thru-hull to flush the toilet, instead I used fresh water obtained from the galley sink and poured into the toilet when necessary -- this pretty much eliminated all odor issues from using the toilet (they weren't bad before, but this eliminated them).
So I'm thinking of T-ing into the fresh water output of the water tank, then somehow running this to the toilet for a more built-in approach.

RichardG 81 FK/SR #2657
Terminal Island, CA

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 11/20/2017 :  18:54:59  Show Profile
My forward sink drain tees into the forward to hull. I leave it shut at all times as I use the sink water to flush. I would do some research before hard plumbing into the water tank. The sink acts like an air gap for sanitary purposes

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2017 :  09:32:36  Show Profile
I also have a t-fitting between the forward sink drain a through hull and the head inlet. I flush by keeping the through hull closed and filling the sink. If try to pull water from the open through hull I have to put a plug in the sink or it won't draw water. Is that normal or is my head pump weak?

I agree with Akenumber about wanting to keep an air gap between the fresh and head systems. Perhaps a line running to the forward sink drain.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2017 :  16:31:33  Show Profile
It's normal. Plugging the sink allows the pump to draw sea water from the valve. With the sink unplugged it will take the path of least resistance and draw air from the open sink. You can just put a plug in the sink drain as an alternate to using water if you want to flush with sea water. Your method of closing the valve and filling the sink is good if you want a fresh water flush. It's not the best system but it's what Catalina did.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/22/2017 16:42:08
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2017 :  16:59:18  Show Profile
I'm not sure what the through hull drain has to do with the head, since all inland and coastal waters are a no discharge zone.

But the freshwater holding tank is just about at floor level in the cabin. If you did want to plumb freshwater into the head you'd also have to install an electric or manual pump to make it fill the bowl. Would the foot pump serve that purpose?

An inline check valve between the head and the tank will prevent backwash into the tank.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 11/22/2017 :  18:03:08  Show Profile
Bruce,. The one valve serves two purposes. One is that it is the drain for the forward sink and the other is that it is the sea water inlet for the head. The head has a separate holding tank for waste.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 11/22/2017 18:30:21
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page