Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 150% genoa questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

avi
Deckhand

Member Avatar

12 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/12/2017 :  22:41:57  Show Profile
Hello forum members. I have a 1988 c-25, SR, swing keel, pop top. I want to teplace the existing jib,conventioanal size that is on a roller furler, with a 150% genoa hank on style. I got the 150% genoa from a 1977 c-25 with s/r. According to the local sail shop, its $110 to convert the genoa to a furler system.
My questions are: 1. am I going to have any problems handling the 150% genoa sailig by my self? (I sail solo), and as I mentioned it is going to be on a roller furler). 2. Is there really a big advantage switching to a larger jib? ( I sail along the Texas coast). thank you.

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  07:02:41  Show Profile
Large sail area will help you in light to moderate winds. It will be detrimental in stronger winds, because a big sail will generate more power than you can use efficiently in strong winds, and because, in light air a big sail snags on the shrouds when you tack, but, with a furler, you can reduce it's area and thereby remedy both of those detriments.

When you tack in light air, you can roll up some of the jib and it won't snag on the shrouds. After you complete the tack, you can unroll the rest of the jib and get the benefit of the full sail area to drive the boat.

I have never sailed the Texas Gulf Coast, but, if it's anything like the Florida Gulf Coast, you'll be sailing in light air frequently in the hotter months, and you'll appreciate the bigger sail.

IMO, the answers to your questions are "(1) no" and "(2) yes."

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  07:22:56  Show Profile
For the 1st time in some 28 years I have to disagree with Steve (May Poseidon forgive me!). Most of the time on the central Texas ooast (Port Aransas, Rockport) the wind is pretty steady in the teens or even low 20's. Many of the racers there don't even have an O/B as the wind is consistent enough to sail in & out of the marinas. Having sailed that area many times I would not want anything bigger that a 135% and many times just a 110% (and I did all my sailing there on a 50' catamaran).

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

avi
Deckhand

Members Avatar

12 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  16:37:04  Show Profile
Guys, thank you for the input. I think I am going to try the bigger genoa. If its to much for me, I can always switch back to the smaller one. My understanding its not that hard to change between sails with roller furler. Maybe a little bit work, but its a learning experience.
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  17:28:26  Show Profile
The 150 works fine on my boat on my furler. It is very easy to handle, even in gusts if you use the purchase of the cleat on the line in a smart way.

It's a lot of fun in a run in heavy winds, but you have to be careful. Easy to pull the sail in though if you start to have problems.

I haven't sailed with a smaller sail on this boat, but my harken furler is really easy to slide the sail into. There's just a groove that the sail slides up, super simple.

Edited by - odonnellryanc on 12/13/2017 17:29:51
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/13/2017 :  21:51:11  Show Profile
I'll just point out that Ryan (odonnellryanc) is less than half your age. For some of us, our opinions on burying the rail change as we "mature"...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/13/2017 21:52:23
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2017 :  05:30:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

I'll just point out that Ryan (odonnellryanc) is less than half your age. For some of us, our opinions on burying the rail change as we "mature"...

Speak for yourself Old Timer!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2017 :  07:26:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

Speak for yourself Old Timer!
I said, "some of us"... I've graduated to windshield wipers to clear the white-water when I'm crashing through big chop, a hardtop over the helm, an electric windlass to haul the anchor, and a V-6 to get me outa there. Now I need some new knees...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 12/14/2017 :  15:40:41  Show Profile
Hey why have friends on the boat if you're not going to make them sit on the rail? :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page