Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Gel Coat color match made easy
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WK 727
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/16/2017 :  21:07:03  Show Profile
I have some gelcoat touchup to do and watched Andy on Boatworks Today about matching the color. I spent several hours trying different combinations and ended up with a very simple solution. The black tints and the brown tints didn't seem to be from the proper color palette. Using the white finish gel coat from West Marine and the yellow coloring agent gave the best result.

The bottom row is the black coloring agent, the middle row is the yellow and the top is the brown coloring agent. The far left is one drop per ounce and progresses to the right at a 1:32 ratio. The camera doesn't show the colors as well as it should...but there is a difference in colors.

The best results for my color match was: one drop of yellow in the 32 ounce can. Two drops will create a tint stronger than the original gel coat color and is too much. If one drop is still slightly pale, do the following: Take a small one ounce cup of gelcoat and add one drop of yellow and mix well. Add only half back to the container. This will give a ratio of 1-1/2 drops to the 32 ounces.

I now have a color match can for future repairs when using small portions with the hardener.

Regards, John
Westlawn Institute graduate
Yacht Design and Naval Architecture
04 Catalina 250 WK
Standard rig w/wheel steering
Yanmar 9hp diesel
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page