Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Seacocks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

avi
Deckhand

Member Avatar

12 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/01/2018 :  19:06:02  Show Profile
I keep reading about seacocke on boats and the danger and importance of thier functions .Do I need to worry about it in my 1988 Catalina 25 swing keel. I leave the boat unattended for long time quite often.

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2018 :  20:10:07  Show Profile
Any hole below the waterline raises concerns, and seacocks are one of them. Relative to older C-25s (up to the early 1980s), you have several advantages: Your factory thru-hulls are made of a plastic or composite material with flanges on the outside of the hull (not the infamous "to-hull" pipes), and your seacocks are the ball-valve type (not gate valves). It's always a good idea to leave them closed when not in use, and to have two quality stainless steel hose clamps holding the hose on each one--if you see any signs of corrosion, replace them, but from a marine supplier--not a hardware store. Occasional lubrication is worthwhile--some folks just put some vegetable oil in their drains once in a while, and then exercise the valve a little. For winter storage, make sure they're open and some anti-freeze has been run through the hoses so freezing doesn't break the seacocks. Otherwise, I'd say sleep comfortably.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/02/2018 07:29:36
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2018 :  09:20:46  Show Profile
For less than $20 USD pick up "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" by Don Casey. He talks about thru-hulls here but a lot of other items that are very applicable to your '88 and just as important.

If you have bronze thru-hulls (I have one on my boat) he suggest scratching it with something sharp: if the metal has a pinkish hue to it, that means it should be replaced.

The volcano style thru-hulls are easy to spot and should absolutely be replaced. It's not a super hard repair and it isn't extremely expensive, either.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2018 :  10:00:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by odonnellryanc

....The volcano style thru-hulls are easy to spot and should absolutely be replaced. It's not a super hard repair and it isn't extremely expensive, either.

...and not an issue on the 1988.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

avi
Deckhand

Members Avatar

12 Posts

Response Posted - 01/04/2018 :  21:29:53  Show Profile
thank you for the educating advise
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 01/05/2018 :  06:20:40  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
As cold weather approaches, I will add the marine anti-freeze (not to be diluted) into my sinks and then open the seacock until the anti-freeze drops below the sink drain. That way, I know that the majority of the hose line leading to the seacock is filled with the anti-freeze.

When I have my boat raised for it's annual pressure wash, I shove a small epoxy brush with synthetic grease up into the bottom of the seacock. Then when I can get back onboard my boat, I cycle the seacock a few times. This keeps the seacock from getting too tight to operate.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page