Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Motor mount
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stang9150
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/12/2018 :  13:58:18  Show Profile
I just picked up a newer honda 9.9 longshaft. The motor has a wood backing plate on the inside now. I picked up some half inch starboard to replace the wood. I thought about cutting another piece for the outside also. The motor now weighs 58 pounds new motor is 107 pounds. You think the starboard is the right choice for the backing material?

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2018 :  14:56:50  Show Profile
Should be fine. Add the piece on the outside if you want to make it extra stiff. I have a Honda 9.9 long shaft also. I have 2 4"wide x 1/4"thick L shaped aluminum brackets vertically on the interior and nothing on the outside .It's been fine for me.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2018 :  15:25:33  Show Profile
Is there anything wrong with the wood on the inside? Starboard is an ideal choice for a plate on the outside, which I added for my 108# Honda. Inside, wood should be fine.

The primary force against the transom is inward at the bottom of the bracket mounts, where both the weight and thrust of the motor pushes the bracket against it. So I extended my Starboard plate several inches below the bracket mounts. Caulk around bolt holes so it will seal the bolts themselves. The force on the top is pulling away from the transom due to the leverage of the thrust and weight--that's where an inside backer is probably a good idea. It's best that the inside plate not have sharp corners or edges due to the slightly concave surface it's bolted to.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2018 :  16:27:47  Show Profile
The wood on the inside is starting to show some of it's age. I already have a 12x24 inch 1/2 inch piece of starboard. I figured I would replace it with that since I have it on hand. I was a little worried about the weight of this motor,Looking at it on the engine stand it looks like a beast. Do you guys have any problems with the tiller hitting anything when the motor is tilted out when not in use?
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2018 :  17:00:30  Show Profile
No problem with the tiller. I'm assuming you have the Catalina Garhauer mount. Tiller needs to be up but clears the transom no problem. With the long shaft I use the very bottom position when down. you can use the second to bottom but the prop will cavitate if the sea conditions are a little rough. How many springs on your mount? You have to be in good shape if its 2. 3 or 4 is really what you need or the extra long shaft motor.
Photo of it up and tilted.

Edited by - islander on 02/12/2018 17:04:26
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2018 :  17:20:52  Show Profile
What Dave said about extending the exterior piece down is a good idea.The interior is limited space so make it as big as you can. Also use fender washers and nylock nuts. Don't want the nuts to vibrate loose.

Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2018 :  22:53:17  Show Profile
As of right now it is a two spring mount. I may upgrade it depending on how hard it is. My plan was to use the nylon style lock nuts,thanks for the suggestion. Pics look good should not make to much of a difference being port side mounted i wouldn't think.
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2018 :  12:21:45  Show Profile
My boat had damage on the transom due to the motor mount: either the weight, backing into something, or a combination. Hard to tell there was much damage until I started to bring the glass down! Not good. May not have been catastrophic at the end of the day, but...

I have a Yamaha 9.9 which is about the same weight as your new motor. With the old 2-spring it was rough even for a reasonably in-shape guy in their 20's to pull up when sailing. Fine when you're not sailing if you have moderate strength.

Bought a 4-spring but have not used it yet (it is winter) so I can't comment on the difference, but I imagine there will be some!

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2018 :  04:07:40  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Catalina Direct used to have a outboard weight/bracket chart on the page that they sell outboard motor brackets. It may still be there. If memory serves me right, the 2 spring Garhauer was most suitable for outboards weighing in the 80-90 lb weight range and the 4 spring outboard for the over 100 lb outboards. Back when our boats were built, most had 2 stroke outboards in the 80-90lb range. Nowadays, 4 stroke outboards can be had in both weight categories (ie. Tohatsu vs Hondas). I have a Honda 9.9 and back in 2005/6, I changed out my 2 spring for a 4 spring Garhauer and the transom bolt hole mounting config was identical.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2018 :  19:44:56  Show Profile
The Honda on Passage weighs over 100# and it's still a struggle sometimes to lift the engine at the end of the day (depending on how many martinis back at the dock). More help is better so go with 4 springs.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2018 :  16:22:51  Show Profile
Now that I have this nice new motor I have to figure out a way to get it on the bracket. The boat is backed into the slip now,which I feel is a better option than lifting into the boat then over the rail. How do you guys do it with these bigger motors? I was thinking maybe the boom or the main halyard could work. I don't think the stern rail could hold that weight.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2018 :  19:20:31  Show Profile
How do I do it he asks.. To be perfectly honest I do it on the hard and wouldn't do it over water.. That's a heavy engine and is hard enough to mount even on land one handed. I don't see the boom working or the halyard since neither come close to being above the mount let alone the dock. Anyway you do it over the water is risky. I have no suggestion for a safe way. Sorry maybe someone else does.

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/19/2018 :  20:25:11  Show Profile
Pay to have the boat hauled and the yard to lift the motor on to the mount with a strap and forklift. A couple hundred bucks is a lot cheaper than dropping a brand new motor into the water or blowing your back out trying to save a buck.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2018 :  06:23:42  Show Profile
Marina's offer short hauls where the boat is pulled but left in the slings. If you have use of a pick up you could back the pick up to the boat and hang the motor yourself. You could have them power wash the bottom at the same time killing two birds with one stone.

Go to Top of Page

cat25
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
140 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2018 :  06:52:14  Show Profile
Have a three spring motor mount. I still need help with the motor a 9hp honda long shaft. I INSTALLED A HUNTING DEER LIFT TO RAISE THE MOTOR UP. IT WORKS GREAT.

Ken
Chenango~
1990~TR~WK~C25~#6022
Candlewood Lake, Ct
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/20/2018 :  11:31:21  Show Profile
I stored my boat (FK) on stands in a large marina, and had a guy on a passing forklift lift me on a pallet to the motor. I slid it off the bracket, he lowered me, and I slipped him a $10. Reversed the procedure for another $10 in the spring. (These days I might even use $20s.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2018 :  08:23:33  Show Profile
Well got the motor all mounted up. The boat was backed in and the water level was high enough to just pick up the motor and set it on the bracket by hand. Took it out yesterday and it is a great improvement over the old under powered 4 hp. I did upgrade to the four spring mount which makes lifting very easy.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2018 :  08:29:22  Show Profile
Glad to see it all worked out. Enjoy the new motor and mount!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page