Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 How to make a big hole smaller
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bjoye
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/13/2018 :  14:28:44  Show Profile
The boat came with two large 4” holes in the cockpit bulkhead, originally containing a depth sounder and a knot meter. The PO had replaced the knot meter for a speaker, after the knot meter had failed.

I wanted to install 2 new MFDs, but of course, the holes are 1/2” to big. So this is how I reduced the size of the holes to fit the new instruments.

First, I use some fiberglass matting and epoxy to create a fiberglass board approximately 1/4” thick. Then, I use two hole saws to cut out 2 rings, the outer dimension to fit the existing holes, the inner dimension, the desired new size.

I epoxied the two rings inside the existing holes. The cabin side ring, flush with the bulkhead, the cockpit side ring, just about 1/8” inside, leaving a lip.

Now I filled in between the rings with thicken epoxy over several applications, building up the gap. After curing, I used some Marine Tex to fill in the 1/8” lip on the cockpit side. Next, I used the smaller hole saw to clean out the hole, and wet sanded the Marine Tex flush with the surface of the cockpit bulkhead. The color of the Marine Tex is close to the color of the original gelcoat.

And finally, I mounted the new instruments.

Why Marine Tex and the 1/8” lip? You can’t use gelcoat over epoxy. (but you can use epoxy over gelcoat). And epoxy breaks down exposed to UV, so it needs to be protected. Marine Tex is epoxy based with UV protection. However, it will yellow over time. (Actually good for me, closer to the original gelcoat color) Not a perfect fix, but fine for this application.

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2018 :  19:04:56  Show Profile
Nicely done!

Chuck

Chuck Shaw
Confetti
Cat 25, hull#1
1976 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2018 :  19:22:51  Show Profile
Best solution for this situation I've seen! Great job!

Which MFD's did you add?

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 02/13/2018 19:23:13
Go to Top of Page

bjoye
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
105 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2018 :  09:27:08  Show Profile
B&G Triton Digital Display. (old style). I had them sitting around for a year now, finally had time to install. The original Triton display is no longer available, as they have been replaced with the Triton2, at +$150 more.

"Frayed Knot" 1989 C-25 WK/SR #5878
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2018 :  23:26:56  Show Profile
Excellent solution!

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page