Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Spinnakers, sock or no sock...?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/16/2018 :  20:45:16  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello again,

While I am an expert "Arm Chair Sailor", (name the book, I probably have it), I have limited actual sailing experience. When I finally reached my life's dream and bought my Cat25, she came equipped with a spinnaker, spinnaker pole and a whisker pole. I have sailed her several times now but I have never flown a spinnaker before and sense I mostly sail single handed, I am uncomfortable with the idea of trying it alone. I don't want to take the chance and end up destroying an expensive sail or maybe getting injured. So, my spinnaker currently lives in a sock in a turtle bag. While I have several great books that demonstrate and describe the processes, none say anything about using a sock. With one exception, my single hander's book author mentions that he doesn't use them. So I am hoping you good folks can share your wisdom with me once more and help me decide weather I should keep it and learn to use it or just sell it.Thanks again everyone.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2018 :  22:33:44  Show Profile
we have only used a sock on a cruising spinnaker (no pole) and found it much more easier without the pole and ease of tacking and setting and dousing the sail. great for a single handing too. single handling a spinnaker pole may take extra hardware to make it easier, and lots of single handers haul and set spinnakers by themselves, so with practice you could do it too.

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/16/2018 :  23:41:26  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Lynn,

So you are saying don't use the pole when using a sock..?

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 03/18/2018 :  06:01:57  Show Profile
I have an asymmetrical spinnaker in a sock that is easy to hoist and douse, however you loose some sail shape at the top. The Asymmetrical spinnaker does not use a pole. My symmetrical spinnaker does not have a sock and requires a pole to fly properly. I will not fly it without two crew to handle hoist and douse. Which one I use usually depends on the wind direction and crew. I could fly the A kite solo but choose not to. I would suggest you find someone with spinnaker experience and invite him/her to sail with you on a 4 to 6 knot wind and learn how to handle the kite. Practice jibing. It sounds like you have an S kite. Measure the luff and leech if they are the same it is an S. Kite flying is fun and you will enjoy it.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

HerdOfTurtles
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2018 :  10:11:48  Show Profile  Visit HerdOfTurtles's Homepage
I would most certainly keep the sock. Being able to douse a flailing spinnaker quickly even with inexperienced crew is very valuable. It takes much of the 'urgency' out of flying a spinnaker because you can hoist the sail in the sock waaay before you are ready to open it, then just open it at your leisure. Same for dousing. You can douse it in the sock waaay before you are ready to lower it, then just lower it at your leisure.

1978 Standard Rig
Fin Keel
L-Dinette
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2018 :  14:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Everyone,

With your input and some further research I have decide to keep it. Tho temporarily. Only because after getting it out and looking it over with a better eye, the one I have looks cheap and not very well made. I didn't notice who made this one and it maybe old enough to be one of the early models not yet made to better tech. I want to replace it with one made by ATN. Defender seems to have the best price. I believe I will also get the ATN Tacker to go with it. I think these two together will allow me to fly the shute single handed much easier. So I guess after I get around to replacing it, I will have one for sale. Thanks again everyone.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

cshaw
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
460 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2018 :  15:45:55  Show Profile
Bladeswell, is your spinnaker asymmetrical or symmetrical?

I built a launcher to use while cruising in light air on Confetti, and used it racing for a while, but preferred just using the turtle for racing.

Choose your weather to learn to use it and you will come to love it! Use it in heavy air before you learn to use it, and you will sell it (sock or no sock). I use my 2 chutes solo all the time (NOT at the same time!!!!). Excellent advice to get someone that uses a chute to show you how to do it!!!!

Chuck Shaw
Confetti
Cat 25, hull#1
1976 FK/TR
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2018 :  17:52:51  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Chuck,

When I took all my sails in to the sail loft for evaluation they told me weather it was A or S. And my bad, I forgot which one it is. I can tell you that my boat came with both a spinnaker pole and a whisker pole and that at least one of my POs was a racer. The boat is also a tall rig. I had the chute out today and was measuring the length of the sock and happened to find the maker's label. Made by V.F. Shaw Co. Chutescoop. I visited their web site and they claim to be the first inventor of Spinnaker socks in 1979. They now make them much like ATN, with the lines running inside of a seperate sleeve along the outside of the chute's sleeve. Also at less than half the price of the ATN. So I may stay with them and just buy their updated version. My bet is I have a Sym spinnaker.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2018 :  18:20:43  Show Profile
Gary Shaw was the inventor of the Chute Scoop. I don't know what connection V.F. Shaw has to it. For many years, Gary taught spinnaker seminars at the big sailboat shows around the country. Gary races a Seidelman 37 named Elan at Solomons Island, Md. I raced against him many times and crewed for him once. He's a very kind, soft spoken man, but a very skilled and gutsy racer. The lead boat in this photo is Elan. His company's webpage is http://www.chutescoop.com/

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 03/19/2018 :  19:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Steve,

And thanks for the background on Chute Scoop. Yes, that's the same web site that I found and if you click on "contact Us" you will see Gary Shaw and the business address and phone number. I am with you, no idea what the V.F. is about. But it is clearly Gary Shaw's company. Thanks again. Wow, you really get around.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 03/20/2018 :  08:49:08  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by HerdOfTurtles

you can hoist the sail in the sock waaay before you are ready to open it, then just open it at your leisure.

beware of your furler if you are using one. If your spinnaker crane is not far enough from the furler you can wrap your sock around it when you are furling the headsail. Ask me how I know!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page