Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cables clanging inside mast!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roland Ludlam
Deckhand

Member Avatar

6 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/06/2018 :  07:51:08  Show Profile
Has anyone found a good way to prevent the cables inside the mast of their C25 from clanging? Many nights at anchor, the clanging is so loud it’s impossible to sleep : {
Our mast is down right now and we’d love to find a solution before we launch next month. Thanks!

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  08:27:32  Show Profile
The simplest solution is to pull them taut before you cleat them. If you take the slack out of them, they can't swing far enough to hit the side of the mast. Also, use the most low stretch halyards available, for the same reason. They're more expensive, but they'll help you achieve better sail trim, in addition to helping you sleep at night.

Of course the slapping could also be coming from your jib halyard or your main halyard, if you don't make a practice of disconnecting the main halyard and attaching it to a lifeline or elsewhere.

Whenever my halyards are slapping, I never lie there hoping it will stop. That only increases your frustration. I always get up immediately and adjust them.

The sound of other peoples' halyards almost never bothers me. It's musical. But the sound of my own halyards is unbearable.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Roland Ludlam
Deckhand

Members Avatar

6 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  09:17:31  Show Profile
Hi Steve, thanks for this input. We do secure the halyards, but the clanging is coming from the wiring that runs inside the mast up to the mast light and steaming light. If anyone has suggestions about this, we would appreciate it. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Roland Ludlam
Deckhand

Members Avatar

6 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  09:33:38  Show Profile
We just found on Google that some people use cable ties around the wires every 3 feet, leaving the tails long. Others use pipe insulation. Maybe we’ll use both!
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  09:37:18  Show Profile
I think the consensus is it is better to some kind of conduit rather than cable tie. That way you can easily run new wires if and when you'll need to. Otherwise you have to rip out all the old wire..!

Problem: how do you secure the conduit to the mast? This is the million-dollar question, I think. From what I can tell most people rivet it in place ... but that seems a very tricky job.
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  09:50:47  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello,

Here is a solution that I read about and in theory at least, it seems it should work. The problem is, it won't be easy. So, here goes. Take down the mast, (see what I mean,) Disconnect the wires at the top of the mast and attach a messenger line to that end of the wiring so that you will be able to pull it back thru when you are done. The same for the mid-mast lighting. Once you have the wiring pulled out, start at about 2 feet from the mast head end and attach a nylon Zip tie. Probably about 8"-12" and pull it tight around the wiring. Install one about every 2 feet and pull it all back thru the mast until you have the entire length back inside as needed. The free ends of the zip tie will push against the inside of the mast and keep them from banging around. Try to get just the right amount of free tail length so as not to interfere with internal halyards. I did say it wouldn't be easy. Btw, this would be the best opportunity to install a new wire harness and maybe upgrade lighting to LEDs if yours aren't already. Best of luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

trbagpiper
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  10:56:41  Show Profile
When restoring Pipe Dream, I went the route of putting a PVC conduit in the mast. Simply put, take 3 10' pieces of PVC together. Now you want to cut the PVC so that 1 opening is 6" above where the wires will exit on the mast at the bottom and 6" below any other exits at the Masthead. Now for the hard part. Holding the PVC against the forward edge of the mast, drill holes thru the mast and the PVC, then rivet. I used a towel on a line and pulled it up the inside to the position I wanted to drill. Every 4' or so will do. It may look small but there is enough room for VHF, Raymarine Inst cbl, 2 #12 and 8 #14 wires for lights.

Since I had to upload these images, I did the album. Click the bird's nest.

Jim Ventimiglia
Toms River Yacht Club
'78 Cat 25 #945 SK/SR "Pipe Dream"
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  12:24:52  Show Profile
On my 87 the PVC pipe is already in the mast from Catalina. Maybe they didn't put one in on earlier years? Check the forward edge of the mast for some aluminum rivets.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

hbushey
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2018 :  22:03:35  Show Profile
Our '89 has a conduit pre-installed. It's big enough for the wire harness from Catalina Direct, which is one length of 14/2 Ancor duplex (for the anchor light) and one length of 14/3 triplex for the steaming and deck lighting. There was just enough room left over to run new RG-8X coax through the conduit for a new Metz antenna.

We used a combination of nylon surveyors string and a 50' Klein steel electricians fish tape to pull the new harness up into the conduit. The Ancor wire that the harness is constructed from will probably outlast the boat.

I have no idea how Catalina was able to insert and rivet in that conduit, but I'm grateful they did!

Heather and Scott
“Respite”
1989 C-25 TR/WK
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  08:38:51  Show Profile
Without some fasteners like those rivets, I'd be concerned that a conduit would slap in there like (or worse than) the wires. That's undoubtedly why Catalina riveted them--maybe using pre-drilled holes and pop-rivets. The wire/zip ties have been used by many. I knew of somebody who pushed some sponges up (and down) inside the mast--at least one above and one below the spreaders (where the compression tubes would get in the way). I don't know how they'd get them out if they had to replace the wires--maybe by hooking the ends before pulling the wires out?

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/07/2018 08:40:17
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2018 :  11:37:50  Show Profile
Large cable ties solved the issue for me. It was quick and easy when I rewired the mast.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Digger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2018 :  23:09:14  Show Profile
My 1983 mast wires had foam pieces tied every few feet. There was never any noise. I am now replacing the cable halyards with internal halyards and am running the wires in pvc as a conduit. Datalina Direct has a series of DVDs for the C22. One of the subjects covered is installing the pvc. Pretty helpful information. In another week or two I'll know if it was worth the effort.

Steve Digby
1983 Catalina 25
Standard Rig
Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2018 :  14:04:03  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
I installed thin wall PVC conduit in my masts for the electrical wiring using pop rivets every 24" or so. I closely followed the procedure in Don Casey's book, This Old Boat, with one significant difference to accommodate conversion to internal halyards.

I installed the electrical conduit in an aft 'corner' of the mast, next to the internal sail track, in two sections with a gap from just below the spreaders to just above the steaming/foredeck light. This also avoided the issue of interference between the electrical conduit and spreader base hardware.

I bridged that gap with a section of the largest diameter thin wall PVC which would wedge ahead of the spreader bolt(s). I fished my halyards through that short section of larger PVC to prevent chafing the exposed steaming/foredeck light wiring.

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

exf4gib
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
42 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2018 :  14:15:10  Show Profile
Catalina Direct provides good instructions with their mast wiring harnesses on how to install conduit.

Arnie W.
85 C-25 TR/FK #4747 "Lifted"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page