Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Learning about our boats
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Member Avatar

108 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/10/2018 :  07:46:33  Show Profile
Met the previous-previous owner of my boat a few days ago, and learned a few interesting things about my boat.

1) The owner before him (P-P-PO) ran aground in a lake, damaged the rudder seemingly beyond repair, and part of the transom (which has been repaired) by hitting a stump

2) The previous owner apparently also ran aground somewhere on the Hudson, damaging the new rudder! This is probably why it then promptly snapped itself in half when I first had the boat in a strong wind.

What a history these boats have! Would have been good to get some of this information from my PO, but on well. I'm sure he just wanted to sell the thing :)

He did ask me, "Have you managed to get the windows to stop leaking?" Thought that was amusing!

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2018 :  10:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Surveys are costly for boats in our price range but it helped me reject the first C-25 I wanted and led me to Peregrine which has served me well for 20 years.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2018 :  11:57:47  Show Profile
I admit I did not get a survey on my boat. Time will continue to tell how bad of a decision that was!
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/10/2018 :  20:00:50  Show Profile
In line with John's experience, I've often said that a survey will be the best $3-400 you spend on a 25'+ sailboat--especially if it leads you to not buy it! My survey was a very informative tour of the boat with every opportunity to ask questions, and gave me a good, prioritized list of things to attend to. It also turned out my insurer required it, so I was glad it served me in the purchase decision as well. It might seem like a lot for a boat these days worth just a few grand, but the costs of repairing or even disposing of that boat can make the survey look like a bargain.

I'm not trying to rub it in--just laying the case for future shoppers.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/11/2018 :  18:36:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

In line with John's experience, I've often said that a survey will be the best $3-400 you spend on a 25'+ sailboat--especially if it leads you to not buy it! My survey was a very informative tour of the boat with every opportunity to ask questions, and gave me a good, prioritized list of things to attend to. It also turned out my insurer required it, so I was glad it served me in the purchase decision as well. It might seem like a lot for a boat these days worth just a few grand, but the costs of repairing or even disposing of that boat can make the survey look like a bargain.

I'm not trying to rub it in--just laying the case for future shoppers.

I agree with Dave! I looked at a LOT of boats before buying mine. Some looked good in the pictures but were dogs in person.

Once I found the boat I've now owned for 10-1/2 years I had a survey done. The surveyor didn't find anything I hadn't already found but it helped me negotiate a lower price.

Plus it made me more at peace with my purchase knowing it was a solid boat.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 04/11/2018 18:40:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page