Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Dinghies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Member Avatar

108 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/23/2018 :  06:24:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What dinghies are you guys using for your boats?

Did some searching here and didn't see any threads specific to this discussion. Curious what works well for you with your Catalina 25s!

Last year it was a (too big but cheap!) inflatable boat off Amazon. We picked the smaller replacement up for $40 this year.

It can actually take a motor, might register it just for the hell of it.

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2018 :  08:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on how you'll transport it and use it. I keep my cruising boat in a marina and prefer a hard dinghy, rather than inflatable. It's stored on a dinghy rack at the marina. I tow it when I go cruising.

Carrying an inflatable on deck sounds good, but it's a hassle to unroll it and inflate a 9' dinghy on the C25 foredeck, not to mention hauling it out of the water and deflating it later.

Think about how and where you'll use it and choose whichever works best for you. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2018 :  09:31:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good points!

I don't think there is a place to put a dinghy at my marina outside of storing it in a storage bin for which I'll have to pay extra. :(

For us, it'll be used several times a month primarily for if we anchor somewhere and want to dinghy to shore (maybe something with a bottom that can take the abuse?).

Towing is an option. Maybe I should start to seriously consider it.

Also there's always the emergency use for the dinghy, in case something awful happens to the boat...!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2018 :  09:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Post a link for that dingy. I'm on a mooring this year and need one, I have the marina loaner dingy to get to the boat but need my own.

I just sold my Zodiac YL 420 RIB. Great boat with 50hp and steering wheel, but wasn't good for scuba diving.

quote:
Originally posted by odonnellryanc

What dinghies are you guys using for your boats?

Did some searching here and didn't see any threads specific to this discussion. Curious what works well for you with your Catalina 25s!

Last year it was a (too big but cheap!) inflatable boat off Amazon. We picked the smaller replacement up for $40 this year.

It can actually take a motor, might register it just for the hell of it.

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2018 :  10:28:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Seahawk-2-Person-Inflatable-French/dp/B006IXB73C/ref=sr_1_9?s=boating-water-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1524504293&sr=1-9&keywords=inflatable+boat

Wouldn't really call it much :)

We had the bigger one, the 4-person, but that was huge. However it did stand up to a fair amount of abuse (grounding on rocky shores and holding 5-6 people several times!) before we gave it away.

Extremely hard to row, though, and that's what we were doing for the most part.

However: https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Motor-Mount-inflatable-Boats/dp/B000NNM4BW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1524504395&sr=1-1&keywords=Intex+motor

Buy that and you can put a cheap outboard on easily enough. We gave it a quick (illegal) test on a electric we got for free and it worked very well. I think we were making roughly 4knots maxed out (according to gps) with about 400 or so pounds of people and equipment (battery).

My only concern about the smaller boat is durability. Though, for $40, maybe it doesn't really matter ....
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2018 :  10:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Steve. Sold my rib cuz it was to much of a PIA to inflate, deflate, store. Bought 2 8'6" kyacks that don't need the above process. They fit perfectly on each side of the mast and don't need a motor. Ribs almost always need a motor. If you ever tried to row one into any breeze you know what I mean.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2018 :  16:00:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I had my C25 I used the WM version of this:

At the time it was called a RU-260, now Zodiak calls it the Wave 275. As Islander pointed out, you can forget about rolling it up and storing it. It's simply too much work. When we wanted to bring it, we towed it behind the boat. I eventually made a solid marine plywood floor and sealed and painted it, it lasted for years.

It worked out so well that when I needed to retire it, I purchased a new Wave 275. That is what we are now using on the Gemini.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2018 :  16:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh...those boats.....I had those when I was 14. Yes extremely hard to row.

I think I'll go with something like DavyJ posted. The hard floor makes them a litttle easier to use.

quote:
Originally posted by odonnellryanc

Here you go: https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Seahawk-2-Person-Inflatable-French/dp/B006IXB73C/ref=sr_1_9?s=boating-water-sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1524504293&sr=1-9&keywords=inflatable+boat

Wouldn't really call it much :)

We had the bigger one, the 4-person, but that was huge. However it did stand up to a fair amount of abuse (grounding on rocky shores and holding 5-6 people several times!) before we gave it away.

Extremely hard to row, though, and that's what we were doing for the most part.

However: https://www.amazon.com/Intex-Motor-Mount-inflatable-Boats/dp/B000NNM4BW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1524504395&sr=1-1&keywords=Intex+motor

Buy that and you can put a cheap outboard on easily enough. We gave it a quick (illegal) test on a electric we got for free and it worked very well. I think we were making roughly 4knots maxed out (according to gps) with about 400 or so pounds of people and equipment (battery).

My only concern about the smaller boat is durability. Though, for $40, maybe it doesn't really matter ....

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2018 :  04:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally picked up a walker bay 10 for real cheap. I wanted something I could tow to an anchorage and sail around for fun to the beach and around coves. Turned out to be way too cumbersome so ended up selling it.

We've bopped around in the little inflatable kayaks a bit and they're fun. Surely enough one has already sprung a good leak.

Thankfully just before the season started our friends who are selling their boat offered to give us their dingy in exchange for taking them to dinner. So another great deal. It lives right on the boat rack and is a little smaller and much more manageable for us. It's a Boatex 8 and my friend has expressed only positive things about it and he's owned as well as restored numerous dingys in his time. Can't wait to get it on the water this season!

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2018 :  08:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one is brand new...small.

https://newportvessels.com/carmel/?utm_campaign=Our+Smallest+Inflatable+Yet%21+%28QBxcw5%29&utm_medium=email&_ke=YWxpZW5iYWxsb29uQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ%3D%3D&utm_source=Boat+Customers+%28Has+purchased%29

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2018 :  10:54:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Boatex! The fender on the bow is a nice addition for cruising.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2018 :  14:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
This one is brand new...small.

The inflatable floor would/could help in the storage of the dink onboard. However, depending on what you will be carrying it could be too small.

On a trip we stopped at Marco Island, there is a Winn Dixie with a dock. So we thought we would take the two dogs to shore. Admiral went into store, I walked dogs. Well, two adults, two dogs, six bags of groceries and two cases of beer made for a really, really tight ride back to the mothership............

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 04/24/2018 :  14:53:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The West Marine dingy is even smaller, and a little less $$$

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/sun-selections--ru-250-roll-up-inflatable-dinghy--17981143?recordNum=3

Erik Cornelison
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  04:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On those WM dingies, one of the things that was a no go for me, was that those oars extend way too far past the rear of the boat. Certain to cause or get damaged.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  07:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Less expensive https://www.costway.com/goplus-2-person-7-5-ft-inflatable-fishing-tender-rafting-dinghy-boat.html?fee=4&fep=8813&utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gclid=CjwKCAjwzoDXBRBbEiwAGZRIeHpoTr6Y-9TcYt-XnyJgHF_648HCvTyTw_ntOQEq7-J1VQ52Ap8q-BoCH9IQAvD_BwE

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  14:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Again,

While I really like the price and looks of the one that
scott gave us a link to, it says 2 person and weight limit of 400 lbs. The WM model, while costing about twice as much says, 2 person and 700 lbs weight limit. I don't remember weather its half a foot bigger or a foot bigger. But I am wondering how usable the smaller one would be with two average sized adults and maybe some supplies or whatever... I weigh 210 lbs. That doesn't leave alot left over for another person plus whatever. Just sayin.... On the other hand, more times than not, I am alone so that smaller one then would be ideal for me. So much to think about before spending that money.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  15:50:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right that it holds 2 but in the original post he showed a Seahawk that only holds 2 people. The WM dink is a step up but even still I think either one is way ahead of the Seahawk that to me is a pool toy. If you want even smaller and lighter Mercury makes one that is 6'7" I think it's called 200.

Edited by - islander on 04/25/2018 15:53:55
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  15:54:27  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage  Reply with Quote

And really, I have no problem at all with "2 person". My only concern was the weight carrying capacity.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

hbushey
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 05/27/2018 :  17:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just took our new to us Catalina 25 out for a sail. We already had a 9’6” Achilles with 5hp motor from a previous boat. We can not tie it up with the boat to our mooring on Tahoe, so we threw it up on the foredeck. In 2 days when we came back to check on the boat the shrouds had worn a hole into the Achilles! Searching for an alternate we have chosen to go with a Porta-Bote. We also ordered Suprax holders that mount to the stanchions to hold it. From our experience it seems the foredeck is not wide enough to store an inflated dinghy and we do not want to inflate and deflate it every time we use it. We will repost to let you know how it works out.

Heather and Scott
“Respite”
1989 C-25 TR/WK
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2018 :  07:15:52  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As others have said, dinghy type depends almost entirely on your anticipated use.

I'm not a big fan of inflatables because of leaks and limited propulsion options.

Towing works well in protected waters, but I wouldn't tow in open water, such as ocean or large bay, etc. which means getting it on deck somehow.

As I mentioned in a boat building thread lately, I built an 8' plywood pram, and am wistfully daydreaming about an 11' wooden nesting dinghy. I was able to get the heavy 8' dinghy onto the foredeck, but it took up the whole deck and blocked the anchor locker.

Although I have a strong personal preference for rigid dinghies which can sail, a stiff folding dinghy which is practical to row or maybe use an electric trolling motor seems like a good idea too.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

pearson39b
1st Mate

Members Avatar

93 Posts

Response Posted - 05/28/2018 :  14:24:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be bigger than you want to tow, - and certainly bigger than you want to put on your deck - but Costco has a great inflatable Sport Boat for less than $500. It's 10'8" long and weighs close to 140 lbs. It has an aluminum floor, an inflatable keel, two seats and oars that are actually pretty easy to use. I bought one a couple of years ago and put a 6 Hp Evinrude 2-stroke on it this past winter. The little motor will jump it up on a plane with two adults on board!

I've been pretty amazed by the build qualtity of this very inexpensive PVC boat. Mostly I use if for running around the marina, but am thinking about towing it - without the motor - when I get the C-25 in the water this summer.

Sailor Jerry
C-25 "Sea Song"
1978, SK, Std.
Pepin, WI
Go to Top of Page

kwalsh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2019 :  06:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning All,
Happy Memorial Day!
This topic is so timely for us too! Been doing a little research for purchasing our first dinghy/tender. Discovered the Sun Dolphin 9' 4" plastic type at a local boat dealer for $675,but found the same one on line for $613 and even some YouTube video stars say they found it at West Marine paid in the $400-$500 range.
Google Sun Dolphin Boats find dinghies water tender
Comments are welcome.
I saw a smart, light weight looking traditional bow tender still tied down on the foredeck of a boat about the size of our 25' Catalina in our marina and placed a call to its owner for more info. I will keep you posted if it is valuable. Many thanks, all!

Kevin Walsh
Segelboot
1984 C25, TR/SK
Sail No. 4433
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/24/2019 :  10:42:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I generally prefer an inflatable over a hard dinghy for stability getting on and off. The C-25 is not really amenable to carrying either on board...

As it happens, I have an inflatable with a motor, both purchased since I owned the C-25, that I'm seriously thinking of selling due to lack of use: An Achilles 8.5' Hypalon roll-up just like what they now call their LS4-RU (I'm not home so can't see my model number). Inflating with its foot pump is not a big deal--a 12V air pump would be even better. Because the floor boards are heavy impregnated plywood, I made another set out of stiff closed-cell polyurethane construction foam that seem to cut the weight of the boat in half. (Probably not quite, but they're nice.) The motor is a Honda 2 air-cooled 4-stroke that weighs 28 lbs--no need for mixed gas, no cooling system to maintain, and no gasoline outboard is lighter. Nice combination for my current boat--YMMV.

I haven't decided on a listing price--it is very lightly used ("like new") and the same combination new at Defender is about $24xx. I haven't found very good examples on Craigslist. I probably won't entertain shipping... But Mystic is a nice place to visit!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 05/30/2019 :  18:12:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We absolutely love our 1996 Boat US 8 ft Hypalon rib. The stability is the best part. It carries 4 large adults and a dog in protected water. We have had it on the deck all the way back from Catalina to San Diego but although it fits fine, it blocks too much view. We usually tow it with a home made 25 ft polypropiline bridle and with the rigid bottom it tows securely and effortlessly. As long as you take off the 5hp outboard. I also learned a trick with inflatables. If you leave it inflated and use nitrogen it doesn't fluctuate as much with temperature and keeps air better.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Edited by - Akenumber on 05/31/2019 07:47:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page