Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mildew Odor Removal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/25/2018 :  10:51:15  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Everyone,

For those interested, I just found a Google link to instructions for removing mildew odor from clothing, towels or bedding. If you are like me, sometimes I leave one or the other a bit too long on the boat and then discover it starting to get that mildew odor. So, Add 1 cup of distilled white wine vinegar to your washing machine and set to hot. If that happens to still not do the trick, use 1 cup of baking soda instead. No laundry soap. after you are happy that the odor is in fact gone, wash once more but as normal using laundry soap. Hope someone finds this useful.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  13:24:31  Show Profile
Good stuff--thanks! I suspect I'd need to cut the amounts to a fraction in my front-loading washer, which uses a lot less water than the traditional top-loaders, although I don't really know the volume difference.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  17:10:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

No laundry soap.

I want to draw emphasis to not using laundry detergent when attempting a special treatment like this. Many laundry detergents contains buffers that can neutralize an acid, like vinegar, or a base, like bleach. For these special treatments, a simple detergent that does not contain buffers, like cheap dish washing soap, will not reduce the effectiveness of vinegar or bleach.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2018 :  18:59:02  Show Profile
Diluted vinegar is a great cleaning solution for almost everything. We us it on the tile floors at home and it leaves a nice clean smell.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2018 :  04:08:47  Show Profile
I haven't seen or found mildew on the boat but I did have a boat smell that seemed normal to most boats. A sailing frend's boat did not have that smell and I discovered that he was running an ozone generator when the boat was not in use. I added one to my boat and it took the boat smell away. I set it to run about 5 minutes per hour.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/26/2018 :  07:01:03  Show Profile
Another thing that helps, in my experience, is a solar vent. It helps prevent condensation at night--the primary cause of mildew--with no draw on the boat's battery. Another smell I hate is that of a salt-water-flushed head.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 04/30/2018 :  12:39:16  Show Profile
Afterthought: I use two tubs of DampRid to keep mildew away each winter. If you have shore power, running a fan helps.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2018 :  20:16:13  Show Profile
Vinegar with some nice-smelling soap is what I just finished washing the entire inside of my boat with and it smells like a brand-new camper now! Poured a bunch of solution into the bilges and vacuumed up after a bit with the wet-dry.

Vinegar is great, because as far as I know you can literally wash everything with it. I gave the cushions a nice spray, though I should give them a much more thorough cleaning soon.

I used a fairly high concentration and it burns the cuts on your hands for sure, but works awesome.

I use this on the outside of the boat: https://www.amazon.com/Bar-Keepers-Friend-Cleanser-12-Ounces/dp/B000V72992

It's a mild abrasive so be careful, but that will destroy growth or dirt no matter where it is. Good on teak as well if your teak is really dirty like mine was.
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2018 :  03:55:17  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I have never had a mildew problem and my cushions never come off the boat snd boat is in the water year-round. The two most effective products to keep mildew from forming, one of them, Dave mentioned, was to utilize a solar vent. A solar vent exchanges the warm moist air in the cabin, continually, with cooler outside air that is generally at least initially, at lower humidity. But as the night time lower temps set in, that air cools in the cabin but efore moisture condenses out, it to is replaced continually with outside air by the solar vent.

Another useful product to keep mildew from forming is made by a company called EVA-Dry. Strange that West Marine does not carry this innovative product. Rather than use those paper canisters that continually need to be replaced as each gets moisture laden or using a dehumidifier run off of shore power, EVA Dry sells small desiccant loaded units that once they become moisture laden, the color of the dessicant changes and then it is time to bring it home and plug it into a 120 volt outlet overnight to heat up the dessicant so it releases it's water content. Then bring it back to the boat. These small EVA Dry units can be re-used 100s of times.

I use both the solar vent and an EVA Dry which would seem like a conflict since the solar vent continually draws in fresh air and the EVA Dry then has to constantly remove the moisture but this is not so bad an idea because there are areas of the cabin that have relatively stagnant air and that is where I use the EVA Dry (ie, VBerth area and/or the quarterberth area). I recently bought a second EVA Dry to cover both areas and I guess I was also influenced because I had all my upholstery recently replaced ....but no mildew/smell issues - Upholsterer was able to re-use the foam just steamed it up a bit.

https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifiers/eva-dry-500-mini-dehumidifier

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page