Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Part identification please
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sublime
1st Mate

Member Avatar

27 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/01/2018 :  14:19:47  Show Profile
I have only had this boat with the mast down. What is this and where does it go? Looks like it goes in the track in the mast maybe?

Link if pic isn’t showing https://ibb.co/g8LJqy

***This post is made of recycled electrons

Edited by - Sublime on 06/01/2018 14:20:50

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2018 :  14:51:51  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Sublime,

I would venture to say that it looks like a sliding goose neck. It attaches to the forward boom end and then the sail slot of the mast track. You will want at least one sail stop and maybe two.
Best of luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2018 :  16:22:59  Show Profile
Yep, Looks like the slide portion of the gooseneck assembly.https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/934_149/gooseneck-complete-with-slide-c-25.cfm

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Sublime
1st Mate

Members Avatar

27 Posts

Response Posted - 06/01/2018 :  22:43:32  Show Profile
Thanks all.

I wonder where the rest of it is, then. I'll check the boom I guess. Would this setup be for a cunningham?

***This post is made of recycled electrons

Edited by - Sublime on 06/01/2018 22:47:50
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2018 :  07:02:07  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again,

Yes, The line attached would go down to a cunningham. Though that line looks like it might be just a little short. Most likely, the other end of your goose neck is still attached to the booms forward end. If not, you can get a replacement from CD. (Catalina Direct).

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 06/02/2018 :  14:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Sublime

Thanks all.

I wonder where the rest of it is, then. I'll check the boom I guess. Would this setup be for a cunningham?

You might find a fitting permanently fastened to your mast for the boom to attach to at a fixed height instead of being able to slide up and down. This part that you've shown would then be superfluous.

With a fixed gooseneck you would need an actual cunningham, which is a cringle above the tack for a line to haul down on the luff and tension it. It's much more effective than just tensioning the halyard.

With a sliding gooseneck you raise the sail to full-hoist and then use the boom down-haul to tension the luff. This way, gravity is working with you instead of using the halyard alone. I installed a multi-part tackle to do this, but I don't really use it anymore (it seemed to help with the weary old mainsail that came with the boat). The short piece of rope attached to the slide in the picture could be tied-off to a cleat on the deck or on the mast.

Note: with a sliding gooseneck you should have something to hold the boom down.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/03/2018 :  12:21:29  Show Profile
As in this case, it's often helpful to us to know a little about the boat--for example the year. Until the late 80s, C-25s were made with sliding goosenecks, and this is the "sliding" part of that. The line is the downhaul, which is attached with a stopper knot to the bottom of the slider and can be tied off to a cleat you probably have low in the mast slot. The pin that holds the boom casting to the "clip" on the slider (or is that a bolt?) looks a little long--it should be a clevis pin just long enough for for the clip (with a cotter pin or ring). A longer clevis pin or bolt holds the sail tack at the top of the boom casting.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/03/2018 12:24:24
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page