Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 mast stepping questions. Inspired by Davy j
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

avi
Deckhand

Member Avatar

12 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/02/2018 :  20:51:36  Show Profile
I am ready to raise the mast on a 1988 catalina 25 s/r. I lowered it very irresponsibly and I payed the price. I copied Davy j idea, (thanks for sharing it and thanks for the videos).
my questions are: 1. do I disconnect the front lower shrouds, or just release? I disconnected it when lowered the mast. 2. what is the length of the EMT pipes that make the A frame? I constructed the A frame from two 8 feet long. When I watched the video again i noticed that the A frame length is shorter then mine. will it interfere with the raising process if I leave it the way it is or should I cut it to a certain size, thanks.

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2018 :  01:23:55  Show Profile
The actual length of the a-frame arms is not critical. Originally my a-frame spanned the length between the forward lower chainplates and the stem at the bow. However, because of the bridge that I passed under, that length proved to be too long. I shortened the legs. It did not impact the performance of the a-frame.

As far as the forward lower shrouds, in my set-up, they prevent the mast from swaying side to side. If you don't need to lower/raise the mast frequently, you could disconnect them and have helpers keep the the mast from swinging too far side to side.

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

avi
Deckhand

Members Avatar

12 Posts

Response Posted - 06/05/2018 :  12:56:46  Show Profile
Thanks for the reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page