Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Pulpit mounted navigation lights
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Captmorgan
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/14/2018 :  18:00:30  Show Profile
I purchased the pulpit mounted navigation lights.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1033_338/bow-navigation-light-99--hella.cfm

Whats the best way to run the wire. Do I drill a hole in stainless steel run the wire down and into the anchor box then splice into nav wiring. is there a good way to snake the wire. Has anyone done this. Any advice is welcome. Hurry Im dying to get my boat in the water. Targeting next weekend.

"The Gal-Way" 1985 SR/SK Barnegat Bay, NJ

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2018 :  21:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
John:

After removing the pulpit, I drilled a hole in the rail just above the light, and I drilled through the baseplate at one of the aft legs, and then I fished the wires through. The baseplate is a flat disc, so it was necessary to use a succession of wider bits until the hole was almost as large as the inner diameter of the tubing. The weld is all around the outer edge of the joint, so this didn't weaken the connection between the plate and the tubing. I fished the wires using a piece of stiff copper wire with a loop at the end. The forward legs do not seem to have openings where they are welded to the main tubing, so the fishing operation did not encounter a snag at that point. VERY IMPORTANT, however, is to prevent the insulation from getting damaged where the wires are feeding into the pulpit at the hole above the light. I had used a Dremel tool to de-burr the inside of the hole, but it's still important to pull slowly and carefully. Also important is to seal under the baseplate where the wires penetrate the deck as you put the pulpit back in place. In the V-berth the wires can run aft behind that dropped-lip molded into the liner under the foredeck, so they are concealed from view.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2018 :  04:52:32  Show Profile
Thanks Lee, I was going to try to use the forward leg not aft so this will save me some grief. Once I felt the solid plate below the base of the leg I knew I would have to remove it. The forward mounts are in the anchor,box. Are tje rear and bow bolts easy to access. I dint look yet.

Thanks again John.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee Panza

John:

After removing the pulpit, I drilled a hole in the rail just above the light, and I drilled through the baseplate at one of the aft legs, and then I fished the wires through. The baseplate is a flat disc, so it was necessary to use a succession of wider bits until the hole was almost as large as the inner diameter of the tubing. The weld is all around the outer edge of the joint, so this didn't weaken the connection between the plate and the tubing. I fished the wires using a piece of stiff copper wire with a loop at the end. The forward legs do not seem to have openings where they are welded to the main tubing, so the fishing operation did not encounter a snag at that point. VERY IMPORTANT, however, is to prevent the insulation from getting damaged where the wires are feeding into the pulpit at the hole above the light. I had used a Dremel tool to de-burr the inside of the hole, but it's still important to pull slowly and carefully. Also important is to seal under the baseplate where the wires penetrate the deck as you put the pulpit back in place. In the V-berth the wires can run aft behind that dropped-lip molded into the liner under the foredeck, so they are concealed from view.

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2018 :  12:58:01  Show Profile
I looked at my boat today and Catalina used the forward upright for the wires. They do come out in the anchor locker. The 2 wires thenrun back along the top port corner of the locker. If I were you I would do it like Lee and use the aft port upright. Reasons are that the railing does not have any sharp corners to fish through and the wires will come out in the same area and not run through the anchor locker avoiding any possibility of damage. The wires exit the tubing in the center of the light at the bottom of the rail. This is so rainwater won't flow into the railing. My guess to why Catalina used the forward upright is that if the caulk failed at the bases then water would leak into the anchor locker through the hole for the wires. Using the aft upright water will leak into the berth. Anyway the pulpit is easily removed. The aft feet from the forward berth ceiling and the other two feet from the anchor locker. 3 pan head bolts on each. They also used a grommet where the wires exit the railing by the light.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 06/17/2018 17:21:16
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2018 :  16:59:14  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
One more suggestion: put a terminal block inside next to where the wires penetrate the deck, so when the pulpit needs to be removed (sooner or later it will) it's easy to disconnect and reconnect the wiring. Make the hole through the deck large enough for the ring connectors to pass. As for waterproofing, put the bedding material around the hole, not in it; if you use caulk, don't use too much or some may ooze into the hole and make it difficult to remove the pulpit. I can attest that this can result in a waterproof connection: I sail on San Francisco Bay, and my foredeck gets really, really wet on a summer afternoon, but there has been no sign of water where I let the wires through a few years ago.

The trouble with a destination - any destination, really - is that it interrupts The Journey.

Lee Panza
SR/SK #2134
San Francisco Bay
(Brisbane, CA)
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2018 :  19:48:25  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
I agree with all the good advice from Lee Panza, especially the screw terminal block to aid future service.

On my Catalina 22 I had to fish stern light wiring through one of those right angle welded junctions between two pipes. It was a royal PITA, and something to be avoided whenever practical.

When routing wiring through the railing into the deck, I glued a short section of hose in the hole through the deck using polysulfide so that the hose extended a couple inches above the deck up into the stainless steel tubing. The hose prevented any incidental water in the tubing from dripping through the deck, possibly getting the core wet, and also avoided accidentally gluing the wires to anything where they pass through the deck.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page

jon300c
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2018 :  14:44:18  Show Profile
Funny... I picked up a "free" 1980 Catalina 25 a couple of months ago and saw wires hanging from bow pulpit and was wondering what they were for. I did verify that the wires were coming through the front port stanchion into the anchor locker. Guess I will add the light to my continuing list of items to buy.

My wife is thinking of divorce... LOL

Jon Savage
Kansas City, MO
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 06/19/2018 :  15:51:50  Show Profile
Sometimes divorce is cheaper than owning a boat . Check the wires for power. You might get lucky and only have to hang a new light.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2018 :  08:30:29  Show Profile
I heard sucking a ribbon through with a shop vac is a good starter line. ( if you don't have a line to follow )

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

jon300c
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
19 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2018 :  08:42:29  Show Profile
I have to pull the bow pulpit off to fix damage from previous owner. starboard side pulpit stanchion when through the deck and it sat open for a year+ I am sure I have some deck to replace and the pulpit.

Anyone have a spare pulpit they want to donate or sell cheap? :)

Jon
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2018 :  18:09:29  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas. Ill put the terminal block in the anchor area. i may just epoxy it?

Enjoy Sailing =) Be Safe

Happy Sailing - John

Photo Album
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2018 :  18:49:09  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
I would put the terminal block were it will be protected from weather, spray, and everything in the anchor locker. How about that enclosed space fwd of the V-berth? I'd mount it with two short self-tapping screws, unless machine screws and nuts make more sense where you decide to put it.

-- Leon Sisson

— Leon Sisson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page