Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 150 miles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stang9150
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/20/2018 :  09:17:09  Show Profile
I took the boat on a nice long trip from Jacksonville down to St Augustine Florida for a few days. I had to go all the way up the St johns river then make a U turn to head down the intercostal waterway.At points along the trip when the wind was right and we had room we sailed the rest was a motor boat ride. I really wanted to stick my nose outside and make the run up along the coast but the forecast was looking a little rough. I was really impressed with the navionics app for my Chinese knock off tablet, that was a 100 dollars total well spent. The honda 9.9 sure is a work horse and did not miss a beat, at one point on the way home it ran for 8 hours straight. I got caught by one big florida squall line t storm. The waves got pretty large and had straight line winds gusting to 50mph with blinding rain. The bow of the boat went under a few times and took a 30 degree roll to starboard when turning away from the shore line. The channel was only maybe 500 yards wide at this point. I was glad to have the big motor during all this. It was a great trip and the boat performed great.

odonnellryanc
Navigator

Members Avatar

108 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2018 :  10:36:40  Show Profile
Sounds like a fun trip, glad everything worked out for you.

We moved the boat down the Hudson about 50 miles about a month ago. Was a good trip! Took us about 12 hours, ran the motor most of it because of light and unfavorable winds.

Motorsailing, with the mainsail up to act as a wing, really added quite a few knots to our speed. Barely ran the motor more than idle and made roughly 4-5 knots whenever we were underway.

Used... 2.5 gallons of gas? If that. Very impressed with our old Yamaha 4-stroke 9.9.

Later this summer I'm hoping we can make it down the coast or out to block island.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Cornelison
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
194 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2018 :  13:41:15  Show Profile
Can you post some pics?

Erik Cornelison
6th Generation Professional Sailor, First Gen Submarine Sailor.
1986 Standard Rig SW. #5234
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/21/2018 :  15:06:44  Show Profile
Good stuff, Joe! A friend gave me a great tip for getting caught at the helm in "blinding" rain (or almost any rain): a swim mask. It changes everything! First of all, you can open your eyes...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/21/2018 20:47:58
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 06/22/2018 :  10:20:55  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page