Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Catalina Capri 22``
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Raffel
Captain

Member Avatar

262 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/28/2018 :  13:23:41  Show Profile
We own a Catalina 250WK. As we age, we find it is more boat than we want especially the maintain part. We are considering trading down to a Catalina Capri 22.

Does anyone have experience with this boat? What should we consider in making this decision?

Steve Raffel
C 250 WK #408

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2018 :  04:54:18  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
If all you do is daysailing, it's a wonderful boat. They sail well in light airs, and have a larger cockpit. All you really give up is cabin amenities. more of a crawling cabin than a hunching cabin. I taught at a school that had both, and the 22s sailed very much like the 25. They are just a little slower. Oops I see you have a 250, I dont know how it compares to that, as I've never sailed one.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2018 :  07:47:37  Show Profile
Keep in mind on this that the Capri 22 and the regular 22 are two different boats. I think the Capri 22 replaced the 22,. Not totally sure on that but somewhere in the 80s.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2018 :  08:15:33  Show Profile
More info

The CATALINA 22 is one of the most popular sailboats ever in anything close to this size,. 15,000 boats sold (2009)
It has been built in different plants around the world..(Known in Australia as the BOOMAROO 22.)
(A fixed keel version introduced in the early 1970's)

A 'New Design' was introduced in 1986 (featuring an opt. winged keel), and MARK II in 1995.

The CATALINA 22 SPORT was released in 2003. (Originally called the CAPRI 22 swing keel.)
From a new "fairer" mold though the hull design is the same as the original CATALINA 22.
Thanks to former Catalina dealer Joe Rose and a number of others for providing additional information.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2018 :  09:43:01  Show Profile
Here's a historical run-down of Catalina's 22-footers. It mentions the Capri 22's arrival in 1984. (I knew the Catalina 22 from its introduction in 1969--almost bought one then, and may still have an original brochure somewhere.) I single-handed a rented Capri 22 in San Diego and liked the way it sailed--very spirited in light air. I didn't get to try in in a serious breeze.

I'll add that the Capri 22, like the Capri 25, was designed to be more of a racer (although it never challenged the Catalina 22 for one-design racing popularity). It has a larger, fractional rig with mid-boom sheeting to a cockpit traveler, more contemporary racing shape below the waterline, and a wing or fin keel only. As noted, the cabin is more of a "crawling" than "sitting" space. I think the cockpit is bigger (that would make sense), but the traveler is a consideration.

The Catalina 22 Sport was introduced under pressure from the one-design community around the world after the C-22 Mark II didn't conform to the one-design specs from the original boat, which had a huge following (including somebody here). The deck and cabin look different, but the displacement, rig, and hull shape below the waterline, and other specs are in conformance.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 08/30/2018 05:49:41
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2018 :  19:46:01  Show Profile
I’ve had occasion to sail a West Wight Potter packet sailor and I liked the cruising performance as well as the amenities in the cabin. It has a little less headroom than a C25, but the one I sailed had a small galley, a settee and even a port a pottie head. Cockpit was good for two. It’s more prone to hobby horsing in chop. But in shallow bays with calm seas it can’t be beat.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2018 :  18:55:12  Show Profile
Update on that recommendation. My slip mate (actually diagonally across the dock) sails a little beauty daysailer with his family. It's an Alerion 20, a classic Herreshoff based design, in a small package. Here's a similar boat for sale somewhere.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 08/31/2018 18:56:29
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2018 :  12:02:59  Show Profile
All of the Alerions are very $$pretty$$.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2018 :  20:17:41  Show Profile
Dave, you’re absolutely correct! This sweet little 20 footer resells at $36,500 or so. This is more of a high-end classic daysailer. End of the day, you know you’ve “arrived” when your sailboat is an Alerion.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page