Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 NC Marina
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

stang9150
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/14/2018 :  08:48:10  Show Profile
https://abcnews4.com/weather/hurricane-stories/hurricane-florence-storm-surge-swamps-new-bern-nc-sinks-boats-destroys-docks-video

Looks like a cat 25 with the blue mainsail cover at the 6 second time stamp.

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/14/2018 :  23:18:41  Show Profile
The videos and photos from the affected areas are heart-breaking.

New Bern which is not exposed to the open seas was nonetheless severely affected because it:
° got hit while the storm was still offshore and had the power of a cat2 storm,
° had an 11 ft storm surge that flooded the sound behind the barrier islands and
° experienced 120kt winds that pushed a wall of water 10-15 miles straight up (downwind) the river to the town.
The marina, which only probably sees a tidal range of no more than 3-4 ft, was dealing with 11 feet of surge and 5 ft wave action on top of that.
Lastly, high tide came about 11PM which coincided with the peak winds and surge. Hence, the severe destruction of the marina that could not compensate for an 11 ft tide and destructive winds and waves that tore it up pretty badly.
Sadly, a perfect storm, at least right there.

The C25 with the blue sail cover seemed to be holding its own while some other boats were sunk or dismasted.

The storm affected 10s of millions of people so far. It’s still raging today. Let’s hope our NC & SC friends are safe and got out before the worst of it.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 09/15/2018 07:55:21
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/15/2018 :  14:04:42  Show Profile
Just saw on the Weather Channel what appeared to be a C25 deposited on the shore in New Bern, NC. Didn't see any obvious damage.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2018 :  04:08:20  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
I saw that as well. I was thinking she weathered that nicely. I'm guessing probably her owner tied her up better, or maybe a little bit of luck.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

stang9150
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
138 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2018 :  12:31:44  Show Profile
What a horrible storm but it appears this one boat did make it through just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2018 :  13:04:10  Show Profile
And there is another larger Catalina to the right of the C25 still afloat as well...........

I just cannot imagine the "holy sh!?? factor of seeing my boat still floating next the others...............

Edited to add, there is, what looks like, another Catalina still floating in the far right side of that photo...........

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay

Edited by - Davy J on 09/17/2018 13:10:17
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2018 :  13:44:41  Show Profile
I had that Holy S!?? moment after Sandy. It took 4 days for the roads to be cleared of debris and wires. I took my camera for insurance photos fully expecting the boat to be in a massive fiberglass pile of boats. When I got to the Marina there she was floating just as I left her.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2018 :  14:32:48  Show Profile
quote:
I had that Holy S!?? moment after Sandy. It took 4 days for the roads to be cleared of debris and wires. I took my camera for insurance photos fully expecting the boat to be in a massive fiberglass pile of boats. When I got to the Marina there she was floating just as I left her.

You and that guy really got lucky. It appears to be a 1989 C25. And it looks like you could untie the lines, put the sails on it and take it out for the weekend right now...............

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2018 :  15:10:26  Show Profile
Not to disparage anyone who's had their well-maintained and beloved boat sink in a hurricane, but when I see so many boats sink, I wonder how many of these boats sink from lack of care vs. owners glad to collect insurance money.

Collecting insurance money is easier than selling a boat. My boats are insured for more than their worth on the open market. Maybe theirs are too.

I am curious what you all think.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2018 :  15:37:33  Show Profile
I don't know about anyone else, but the insurance payout for my current boat could never recover the cost of the upgrades, sweat equity and shear pride that I have in her. It would have been the same for my C25.

The insurance company says it's worth X. If they gave that to me and I had to purchase another, it would cost me thousands of dollars and months of work just to get the boat where my current boat is now...........

Now, for those folks at the marina that never use their boat, well it could be a godsend........

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2018 :  17:13:57  Show Profile
Most damage and boats sinking at Marina's are the result of the docks giving way especially if the wind is broadside to the boats. Extreme high water pulling the fingers anchors and jumping over the poles. Once one goes and slams into the next it becomes a Domino effect. When I was preparing my boat for Sandy I thought that even though I had her thoroughly tied I was really dependent on the docks holding together. Also lucky that the wind was on the nose then the stern for the boats relieving much of the pressure on the docks. The Marina isn't open to open water so wave action wasn't a factor.A true hurricane hole.

Edited by - islander on 09/17/2018 17:23:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page