Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Hello Hurricane Michael
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/09/2018 :  07:34:16  Show Profile
Looks like we are gonna hafta tie some boats down to the trees.... This storm came up fast I just heard about it last night and it makes landfall tomorrow.

Hows it going there Dave5041.... I imagine you are on the road...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 10/09/2018 07:44:50

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2018 :  13:54:37  Show Profile
Supposed to pass on your south but....then over the Carolinas. Like they need more rain

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 10/09/2018 13:57:37
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2018 :  21:03:57  Show Profile
Im not in FL yet, but there might not me a condo for me in Port St. Joe this January.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/09/2018 :  21:51:52  Show Profile
The Florida panhandle coast will be brutalized by the Category 3-4 storm with horrendous winds capable of tearing roofs off houses and blowing out buildings from the inside out. Further the 8-12 foot storm surge will affect coastal residents up to 5 miles inland.
South Georgia (Valdosta) will get heavy rain, winds and tornadoes on Wednesday night. Greater Atlanta may be spared but the Carolinas will get more rain.
The saving grace is that this storm is moving very quickly, so the duration of the buffeting will be briefer.
While we won’t see a Cat 3-4 here in the northeast, it’ll be a close call as the remnants are going to mix with a cold front here on Thursday evening and we expect to get a double blast of severe weather that’s amplified by the tropical energy of the storm.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 10/09/2018 21:53:33
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2018 :  09:56:02  Show Profile
Yep.. Dave... Im worried about pearl... Oh yes and you and yours of course...
The last time we had a bad one in PC my sister was in our trailer home saying she wasn't too scared till she looked outside and saw a boat fly by.... that must have been around about 1976ish...

The famous storm that removed our original Golden Arches at McDonalds.

Anyhoo Port St Joe is gonna git smacked... Haven't had a chance to look but heard it was getting stronger last night... really not good.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2018 :  10:28:37  Show Profile
Looks like its gonna blow a hole in Shell Island ... so its gonna be 2 shell islands again. Can't wait to see the drone videos... and some of the wrecks may change.. and give up some portholes or other goodies

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2018 :  14:09:24  Show Profile
Holey Moley looks like Mexico Beach got wiped out...OK flooded out for sure.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2018 :  15:46:48  Show Profile
WC is showing tornado warnings for SW Atlanta.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2018 :  17:36:38  Show Profile
Port St. Joe will have some protection from the peninsula and bay, but where I stay is on the inland side of 98 but open to the gulf. I might be wintering in Ohio this year. I used to stay near Indian Pass. IP will likely be wiped out. apalach looked bad enough in the news coverage. Again, we don't go down until January so Pearl is safely on her trailer in Ohio.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 10/10/2018 17:39:19
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2018 :  06:04:11  Show Profile
Just saw video of Tyndall AFB being (it would appear) totally destroyed. All were evacuated, so no casualties--at least not there.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/11/2018 06:05:04
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2018 :  09:58:07  Show Profile
Yep Tyndall... Id say that was a real stroke of luck where Michael made landfall. Few stretches are that sparsely populated, and the military would get everyone out.. and the area around tyndall has trees and scrub brush to soften the effects. Not that Mexico beach and others didn't get hit. I know a row or two of somewhat decommissioned F4's that Ill bet just got turned into parts.. and I fear for Indian Pass Oyster Bar, but I expect that building has seen it before.

Anyhoo.. I really just wanted to hear Pearl was elsewhere but didn't want to ask directly..

I am GLAD to hear that!!!

Apparently one of the big boat racks at Grand Lagoon ( PCB, Treasure Island Marina I think ) got blown apart so there are gonna be some boats for sale.... We always laughed when we first saw that tin shed construction but I guess those boats are insured. I hope the business is...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/11/2018 :  21:21:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by redeye

Yep Tyndall... Id say that was a real stroke of luck where Michael made landfall. Few stretches are that sparsely populated, and the military would get everyone out.. and the area around tyndall has trees and scrub brush to soften the effects.
Except that this wasn't a tornado--it had a huge swath with EF-3 tornado winds, and Tyndall is almost a part of Panama City. (I spent about the first year of my life there when my dad was in the Army Air Corps at "Tyndall Field"--so of course, I know! I had my first beers on the beach, emptying people's bottles...) Let's see how Panama City did, and not forget that people in Mexico Beach and up into Georgia, where the media hasn't focused, have had their lives changes (if they survived). This was a historic event, where hurricane forces extended far inland.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/11/2018 21:34:02
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2018 :  13:23:43  Show Profile
This one remembered for knocking over the train... a reference to the strength of the Keys hurricane that knocked over all but the engine.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 10/12/2018 13:24:54
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2018 :  18:08:21  Show Profile
The last storm I remember that exhibited similar destructive power was Hurricane Andrew (Cat 5) that hit Homestead FL south of Miami in the early 1990s. I was there six months after the hurricane and most of the concrete houses had no roofs, no windows or doors and many wooden frame buildings were just flattened. The destruction was more concentrated there versus Michael that was a Cat 4, but in Michael’s case was a much larger storm.
The Saffir-Simpson scale is not a good indicator of the destructive power of a hurricane since it only measures peak sustained wind speed, missing out on the size and speed that reflect the scope of damage the storm can produce.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page