Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Billion Oyster Project
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peregrine
Admiral

Member Avatar

830 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/12/2018 :  11:42:09  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
I have been sailing Peregrine out of Oyster Bay NY for over 20 years and have seen the good oysters can do to the waters and the livelihoods made by those oysters.
Now there is a project to restore the oysters, which were plentiful, to New York harbor.
The Oyster Bay Baymen are starting a similar, if smaller, project and I have seen other areas in the country that are doing the same thing.
I love eating oysters but even you don't they are good for waters we sail in.
Please read the article, go to the "Billion Oyster" web site and watch the video.
https://www.treehugger.com/conservation/how-oysters-are-restoring-new-yorks-polluted-harbor.html

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 10/12/2018 11:56:54

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2018 :  13:30:47  Show Profile
I don't eat them, but my son considers them a basic food group. Micheal devastating Apalachicola Bay will create a big hole in the oyster market that Im sure they will happily fill. I'm guessing that New York, like many states, local governments and grassroots groups are working hard to preserve our water and heritage.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 10/26/2018 18:06:20
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2018 :  14:33:16  Show Profile
Comment deleted by Admin. See Rule-4

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2018 :  18:00:16  Show Profile

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2018 :  06:22:09  Show Profile
Glad to see the locals are going fora natural solution to a man-made problem. Of course, I might pass on the first few years’ crop of oysters. Let ‘em get the kinks out. But when you think about it, New York Harbor is a perfect mix of fresh water from the Hudson and Passaic Rivers and salt water from Long Island Sound and the Atlantic. That’s oyster territory.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2018 :  09:26:46  Show Profile
The Texas oyster and shrimp businesses will be adversely affected next year because of all the fresh water pouring into the coastal bays from the 20" rain since Sept. and all the flooding from Harvey. The bays are the "nurseries" for the new "crops" (and Texas oysters are the best).

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2018 :  08:46:15  Show Profile
One of the news outlets reported on huge losses of Oysters in Apalachicola Bay as a result of Hurricane Michael. Says that the oysters may have been choked out by sediment stirred up by the storm. The losses here will have to be made up by the farmers reinvesting in this area or by others elsewhere developing their aquaculture as in the NY project or by increasing production in TX or LA.

Here’s the article:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hurricane-michael-may-have-dealt-deadly-blow-florida-s-nascent-n922356

No doubt about it, the more volatile the weather becomes over time more and more “regular folks” will be hurt. We’re at 0.8°C now, gods help us when we’re at 1.5°C

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2018 :  03:41:08  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Reading this debate...not about oysters, got me to open up the attachment and read the interesting article about oysters. I believe that was the main thrust of the posting - good info !!

Almost anything could be turned political...I mean there have been discussions about Ethanol 15 and I suppose one could construe that into a political argument as well.

and then there is ....global warming....tadah !!

But given that we sail on waters and this posting is directed to those with interest regarding waters...thanks for the posting. As it turns out, I developed an allergy to shell fish when I was in my 40s and have had it ever since. I use to love eating shrimp and was just getting into crab cakes/sandwinches but so far, cannot have them anymore. I would think this rambling of mine is probably more distasteful than a political comment///so let's try this one:

So, I have been sailing in the Potomac River since 2005 - My marina is basically on the DC side across from Natl Reagan Airport. Hydrilla forms in the Potomac River but usually near the shore line or in areas where a pool of water is basically shallow and still such as in protected areas. Before 2015, I would never have given much thought to Hydrilla or for that matter, global warming. But in 2016 and 2017 an unbelievable thing happened - An island of Hydrilla formed right in the middle of the Potomac River extending from the south side of the Natl Airport and south for about 300 yards or more toward Old Town, VA. In the middle of the Potomac, at low tide (affected from the Chesapeake and Atlantic Ocean - 3 ft tide), there is this section of the Potomac River that can get down to 2-3 ft deep. So, I guess due to global warming, an island of Hydrilla formed and then as the Fall sets in, the Hydrilla breaks up and plenty of boats get their props fouled. About the only one that seems to benefit from this Hydrilla Island is the Boat US tow boat but even he cannot always helps especially if the boat winds up in the Hydrilla island. My thought is that this Hydrilla Island was caused by global warming.
Interesting thing is that this past summer, there was no Hydrilla Island ! Thinking about this past summer, it seemed warm/hot like other summers but believe two factors for the Hydrilla island not forming. First, there seemed to be a lot more overcast/rainy/stormy days and so my thought is that less sunshine may have impeded the Hydrilla from excessive growth. But the second reason is what I believe really kept the Hydrilla at bay. When there is a storm, like up north/west on the Potomac River, the flow downstream increases along with some debris and the water will turn brown/muddy for days. I believe the Hydrilla growth was mostly stunted due to the muddy water days which prevents sunshine reaching this unwanted growth.

Anyway, I had my own experience with the Hydrila, not this past summer but last year. I had two big clumps right near my finger slip and one was sort of interfering with departing and entering my slip. I started looking for contraptions on the web to do away with the clump - They actually sell a Y type of rake that has sharp blades for cutting things like Hydrilla away from docks - But have not decided to buy it...yet. Then, last year, I brought my boat across the river to the Wash Sailing marina which is just south of Natl Reagan Airport. I was going for my annual pressure wash. (What a time of year to get this done !) It was towards Fall and some of the Hydrilla Island was breaking apart. So, I headed south on the DC side of the river, worming my way past free floating Hydrilla clumps and then after passing the "island" headed over to the VA side of the river to head up the narrow channel to the Wash Sailing marina. As I crossed the river, I got nailed by a 6 foot free floating Hydrilla clump. At this point, I had to stop my outboard which I turned on as I was heading toward the channel and I used my hook to release gobs and gobs of Hydrilla from the prop. Then I had to run in reverse to get it off the wing or at least get away from the clump. As I proceeded in the channel to the marina, I had to repeat this process 2 more times before finally getting to the travel arm lift bay. Then they had to clear the lift bay of the Hydrilla inorder for me to pull in. I recall the mgr telling me of the benefits of the marina and that I should rent a slip from them rather than stay on the DC side - You got to be kidding me - Yes and all the Hydrilla you want for free !

Anyway....probably not of great interest to most of you and so an Oyster discussion sounds great - Just enjoy the article for the info it provides.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 10/24/2018 04:18:38
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2018 :  06:46:40  Show Profile

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Commodore
Russ Johnson

Members Avatar

USA
690 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2018 :  16:38:41  Show Profile
To All,

I received a complaint about the replies to this post.
May I remind everyone, there are procedures in place to address complaints.
Please read the link below.

Forum Complaints
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30847

Note: I read the original post last week, at the time it was a good news story.
The tone has definitely changed.
If you guys were new I'd understand, but the replies are from forum users of more than 10-years.
You guys should know better.

Russ Johnson, Commodore 2009-2022 (commodore at catalina-capri-25s.org)
Go to Top of Page

Vice Commodore
Sam Bruce

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 10/24/2018 :  22:24:20  Show Profile
I bought one of the Y rakes for some grass. It does work very well. Sam

Sam Bruce 2016-2024 Association Vice-Commodore (vicecommodore at catalina-capri-25s.org)
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  03:05:20  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Thanks for the comment regarding the rake - I may buy it also...if I see bad news clumps of Hydrilla near my slip again. I was wondering about the storing of it. Is it something that can be easily broken down and stored onboard or best to just bring it home and save it for those few times when it is needed ? Also, can it be broken down easily enough to fit into a car or best to transport it full size.

By the way, my posting...was partially to see if I would get any reaction regarding the debate. I was a bit testing the "waters" to see if I got any adverse reaction. You guys are okay. Pat yourselves on the back and let's use as many good sailing days are out there this Fall to enjoy ourselves before winter dreaming thinking about the next spring/summer sets in.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Vice Commodore
Sam Bruce

Members Avatar

USA
29 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  05:01:32  Show Profile
Larry,

It comes in a 3 1/2 foot box and about 10 bolts. Easy to assemble although I did have to look at the picture to get it right!!

Should be easy to disassemble, although I keep mine under the house.
It is sharp and mine came with a sharpener.

Sam

Sam Bruce 2016-2024 Association Vice-Commodore (vicecommodore at catalina-capri-25s.org)
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  06:36:04  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
Larry,
Although I am certainly concerned about global warming it seems "hydrilla" appeared in the Potomac in 1982. It's an invasive non-native plant from Europe.
The info I saw is listed by State;
" District of Columbia – First reported in 1982 in ditches off the Anacostia River near Kenilworth Gardens (Steward et al. 1984); later along the Potomac River upstream of Theodore Roosevelt Island (Rybicki et al. 2013)."
It seems to be a serious problem in the warmer waters of Florida and is over taking native plants down there. It's like the "kudzu" of waterways. The web site said it has now been spotted as high as the Erie Canal around 2008. I would have to do much more searching to say it's spreading because of warming waters or just naturally spreading from South to North. Either way it's a growing (spreading?) problem so please whack away at it.
Here is the web site. Seems to be USGS site.
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/greatlakes/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=12&Potential=Y&Type=2&HUCNumber=

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 10/25/2018 06:50:12
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  16:21:12  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Thanks!

Larry
Go to Top of Page

Commodore
Russ Johnson

Members Avatar

USA
690 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  09:53:02  Show Profile
To all,

I have received several follow-up comments about this post.
First, thank you for using the process described in my link above.
Next, thank you for your restraint in responding to off-topic comments.
Next, several comments have welcomed my reminder and they are encouraged by the improved tone.
Next, I do need to clarify that political comments and personal attacks are against the forum rules, so please restrain yourself.
Please review the Forum Rules (particularly Rule-4, Rule-7, and Rule-8)

This is a good opportunity to review the two links below.

FORUM RULES - PLEASE READ
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13520

Forum Complaints
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30847

Thank you, Russ Johnson
Commodore

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  13:11:45  Show Profile

Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 10/26/2018 13:13:38
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Forum Admin

Members Avatar

460 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  20:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
To all,
I have removed nine replies from this post.
After several warnings, I decided this action was needed.
I'm sure no one is happy, but this my decision.

Web Editor
Go to Top of Page

Commodore
Russ Johnson

Members Avatar

USA
690 Posts

Response Posted - 10/26/2018 :  20:12:43  Show Profile
To all,

Everyone has been warned, please stay on topic.
The current officers have recommended a 30-day time out period for anyone who ignores the forum rules.

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  12:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave5041

I don't eat them, but my son considers them a basic food group. Micheal devastating Apalachicola Bay will create a big hole in the oyster market that Im sure they will happily fill. I'm guessing that New York, like many states, local governments and grassroots groups are working hard to preserve our water and heritage.

Ha! I guess if I didn't love them so much there would be more to clean the water but it would adversely affect the watermens income.
But seriously the project in New York Harbor is indeed a "grassroots" project on a large scale and a similar if smaller one in Oyster Bay, my harbor, is also a local group. But I don't think we can sit back and hope a group will magically appear.
Whether it is replenishing oysters, dealing with invasive plants and aquatic species or runoff from rain storms IMO we all need to either support efforts or talk to fellow boatmen (women) and see what can be done on a scale that we can participate in.
I would love hear what, if any, efforts are being undertaken or at least discussed in your sailing areas. I think sharing ideas may give others an idea what they/we can do to improve our sailing areas.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Edited by - Peregrine on 10/27/2018 12:43:09
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/27/2018 :  16:47:44  Show Profile
The local NOAA Northeast Fishery Science Center (NFSC) just published an article about a certain kind of native US mussel that is easily seeded across large areas and tastes bitter and unappealing.

The benefit is that this species also purifies the bays and marshes and can be self regenerative because nobody would bother to harvest them! Sounds like a win-win for everyone including the mussels.

They do a lot of research around assessing habitat destruction and develop techniques for habitat restoration.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 10/28/2018 06:35:43
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2018 :  08:49:30  Show Profile
The infamous Zebra mussel has just been found in Lake Travis (in Austin) and Canyon Lake.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

oldengineer1949
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
75 Posts

Response Posted - 10/29/2018 :  11:22:59  Show Profile
Woof! Where do I start? Here in Sunny Ole Vuhginy, There are multiple oyster restoration efforts underway. For the Bay itself, there is the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Maryland Oyster Restoration Center, NOAA has all these initiatives going in the Chesapeake and tributaries in Maryland and Virginia:

"NOAA is involved in oyster restoration projects at a number of locations around the Chesapeake Bay, several areas in Maryland's Choptank River complex—Harris Creek, the Tred Avon River, and the Little Choptank River—as well as the Lafayette, Lynnhaven, and Piankatank Rivers in Virginia."
https://chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/oysters/oyster-restoration

Of course, its hard to be humble when you live near the United States' largest Estuary, but here's a recent article from one of our area news sites, WTOP.com: "Project aims to get 10 billion oysters in Chesapeake Bay by 2025" https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/02/project-aims-get-10-billion-oysters-chesapeake-bay-2025/

Got'cha beat, John ... *chuckle*

Regards and Best Respects,

Al and Bernadette, "Pualani Nui", '82 C25 SR/SK, homeport MCB Quantico
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2018 :  11:26:24  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by oldengineer1949

Woof! Where do I start? Here in Sunny Ole Vuhginy, There are multiple oyster restoration efforts underway. For the Bay itself, there is the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Maryland Oyster Restoration Center, NOAA has all these initiatives going in the Chesapeake and tributaries in Maryland and Virginia:

"NOAA is involved in oyster restoration projects at a number of locations around the Chesapeake Bay, several areas in Maryland's Choptank River complex—Harris Creek, the Tred Avon River, and the Little Choptank River—as well as the Lafayette, Lynnhaven, and Piankatank Rivers in Virginia."
https://chesapeakebay.noaa.gov/oysters/oyster-restoration

Of course, its hard to be humble when you live near the United States' largest Estuary, but here's a recent article from one of our area news sites, WTOP.com: "Project aims to get 10 billion oysters in Chesapeake Bay by 2025" https://wtop.com/maryland/2018/02/project-aims-get-10-billion-oysters-chesapeake-bay-2025/

Got'cha beat, John ... *chuckle*

Regards and Best Respects,

Not a contest.
Glad to hear of the efforts.
It was said that at one time you couldn't sail through New York Harbor without fear of running onto an oyster reef. They didn't disappear from pollution they were eaten.

John Gisondi
Peregrine

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2018 :  20:02:57  Show Profile
That’s great news about the Chesapeake Bay, as it’s been under attack for better than a century from untreated sewage and, more recently, untreated animal waste from chicken farms. The latter resulted in several very serious outbreaks of listeria, a food borne illness that can be fatal. Hopefully the farm waste could be offset by shellfish seeding.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 10/31/2018 11:10:25
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 10/30/2018 :  20:47:38  Show Profile
Starting long before our time (1800’s) up to present Long Island Bluepoint oysters have had a following but the demand outpaced the source which in combination with the pollutant run off from the duck farms on the east end....a perfect storm situation... the oyster industry was devastated in the early to mid-1900’s. Yes we’ve come a long ways from when you could develop exposed photographic paper in Lake Erie...but as for oysters...bring them back!

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page