Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Install a new elect marine fix using RAM mount
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kwalsh
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/14/2018 :  07:49:03  Show Profile
All,
We just acquired a new Garmin echoMap 7" chart plotter and want to use a RAM mount for swinging it from inside the companion way to outside for reading it while in the CP. We have seen expamles of this, but cannot recall if it was here in the Forum or elsewhere.

Can someone point us in the right direction for installing the transom mounted transducer and the swing RAM mount? Many thanks!

Kevin Walsh
Segelboot
1984 C25, TR/SK
Sail No. 4433

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2018 :  09:48:36  Show Profile
I question the use of a transom-mount transducer on most sailboats. Most of the transom is out of the water except when heeled--then one side is in and the other out. To keep the transducer in the water as much as possible on a C-25, you'd need to place it very close to the rudder, which could make it vulnerable. The preferred approach by many folks here is an in-hull transducer mounted in wax, epoxy, or something, so that shoots through the hull. The only real requirement is no air between it and the water outside. You can find many discussions on that by Searching on "transducer".

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2018 :  10:25:16  Show Profile
The RAM mount I used is RAM-109VU. Extremely well made and swings in and out. Has many holes for mounting different devices. You can mount it to the fiberglass if you want but I mounted mine to the teak trim board for the companionway utilizing one of the existing screws. Just less holes in the boat.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2018 :  11:05:22  Show Profile
I recently mounted the Garmin transom mount transducer in the forward storage compartment just forward of the keel in the toilet wax ring described in the forum by many others. It works well up to about 110 feet in depth, and then is intermittent but most people aren't interested in depths other than near shore. Not sure why it drops out at larger depths.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

kwalsh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2018 :  12:26:59  Show Profile
Great, thanks Dave! I wanted to research that type of installation, too.

Spot on target, Scott. Many thanks! Another question, What is the instrument attached to the bulkhead under the compass?
We have been collecting lots of ideas for upgrading our boat.

Thank you, Michael. We'll re-think this installation now. What brings us to this upgrade in equipment is that our current SR Mariner depth sounder has been working intermittently this season. It is aged and we are in shallow waters at the dock. All the other features in the new equipment are helpful too. Do you think there is a possibility that we can use the Mariner's thru-hull transducer for the Garmin or is it simply wishful thinking?

Many thanks everyone!

Kevin Walsh
Segelboot
1984 C25, TR/SK
Sail No. 4433
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2018 :  13:31:22  Show Profile
quote:
What is the instrument attached to the bulkhead under the compass?

Its an old Standard Horizon Thru Hull Depth sounder. It came with the boat but works perfectly.

Go to Top of Page

kwalsh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2018 :  15:52:47  Show Profile
Thanks, Scott!

Kevin Walsh
Segelboot
1984 C25, TR/SK
Sail No. 4433
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2018 :  03:26:11  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Here is another install utilizing a RAM Swing mount. What I did was to utilize the existing depthfinder hole in the companionway bulkhead to friction fit a support board on the inside of the cabin. In my design, I made no additional holes or disturb the bulkhead in any way. The thru bolts are actually installed on the inside perimeter of the existing depthfinder hole. In this way, the thru bolts basically clamp together the round starboard disc that covers the depthfinder hole on the exterior side of the companionway bulkhead and the Starboard support board that is installed on the companionway bulkhead from inside the cabin. That Starboard board on the inside of the cabin is held by the thru bolts in the depthfinder hole that provide a friction fit and the support board is also held in place since it is flush mounted against the edge of the companionway bulkhead. Once again, the bolts you see are not thru drilled holes but actually lie within the existing depthfinder hole - They only look like addl holes were drilled thru the bulkhead but actually no change cutting drilling, etc was done to the bulkhead. Also, 3M 4200 sealant was used between the outer round Starboard disc and the bulkhead to make the seal watertight. The RAM Swing mounted then bolted to the support board. The RAM Swing mount is also installed so that if it starts to rain, I can place the 2 of the companionway boards in place and the fishfinder is still above the boards for readability. More details are on my website but here are some photos:

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 10/15/2018 04:13:05
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2018 :  03:37:18  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
By the way, most owners can get by with an in-hull transducer mounted to the inside of the hull with nothing more than a glob from a toilet bowl wax ring sold in Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Just need to buy a fishfinder or plotter that has a transducer that can be used inside the hull. The instructions that came with my Humminbird fishfinder indicated that the in hull install results in fishfinder readings that are just as accurate as with a thru hull transducer but since the signal strength is weaker, the range of the fishfinder was good to approximately 400 ft depth versus 1000 ft depth - A non-problem.

Here is a photo of the transducer mounting with the wax ring matl under the VBerth area. Been working fine since....2005/6.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

HappyNow
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
99 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2018 :  09:04:57  Show Profile
Kevin, I doubt your old transducer is compatible. I suspect each transducer is specific for each manufacturer. Plus you don't know if it's the transducer or the receiver module that is failing. Use the toilet wax, $3 , and you'll be happy. I cut the bottom out of a plastic box slightly larger than the transducer to protect it and keep anything in the compartment from hitting it.

Michael Levin
Sailin' on Sunshine
C250 #402 WK
Lake Tahoe
Go to Top of Page

kwalsh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2018 :  09:39:27  Show Profile
Thanks again, Larry, Michael and bjoye of Frayed Knot!

I am reviewing all the recommendations and preparing to order the RAM components, but have another question for Frayed Knot - can you help me and explain the piece of cardboard box you cut out and used with the in-hull mounted transducer?

Thanks, guys this has been a big help to us.

Kevin Walsh
Segelboot
1984 C25, TR/SK
Sail No. 4433
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  07:07:21  Show Profile
I'm surprised that the wax melted and this is the first I've heard that it could. I would have thought that even if the interior temps get warm the wax is stuck to the hull that is cooled by the water temp. and would keep that from happening. Interesting. Perhaps this happened when the boat was out of the water?

Edited by - islander on 10/25/2018 07:11:50
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 10/25/2018 :  11:40:46  Show Profile
Even here in Vermont the wax softened enough that my transducer moved 2-3" towards the center-line of the boat from where it was installed. I did not immediately discover the displacement, however, so I do not know when it occurred although, as noted, likely while on the hard. The transducer still functions although I now have a fish permanently displayed at 2.5' so I assume the sonar is now "seeing" the nose of the wing keel.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page